Snap General Election Called

VERYSTORMY

7 hours ago, simmo said:

Last night's debate was a joke. Good move by May to stay away. I have a good mind to complain to the BBC

We must have been watching a different programme. I thought Caroline Lucas and Corbyn did quite well. Since the campaigning started, It's definitely made me rethink who I'm voting for, especially since the manifesto came out. I've never liked Theresa May, IMO I think even Cameron was more central and likeable than she is!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

As the Australian's charmlessly put it 'she was frit'. 'Strong and stable', my arse, she is going to get this country into such a bind it will make the eighty's look like a walk in the park.

We have spent 70 years ducking and diving, never wanting to face up to a simple fact, we are an ex-colonial power that has never adjusted to our position in the world since we had to give up the colonies, we imagine we are some kind of giant colonial power with all this regal splendour of State this and State that when we are really a down at heel nobody always strutting around the world stage with everybody increasingly having to stifle their laughter, well brexit is going to be our undoing finally, no amount of gold coaches or ermine gowns is going to cover up the glaring gaps in provision that is going to show over the next 5 years and the impact is not going to be felt just by the poor ,its going to be the middle classes as well.

Best turn the lights off now , 

• Like 1

The choice is very simple. You could Vote Labour, if you do this there are 2 possible outcomes. Corbyn, McDonell & Abbott with a parliamentary majority will spend and borrow unimaginable amounts of money to fund their manifesto.  They will Tax higher earners to the point they leave the UK like in the 70's. Corbyn will agree to Indy ref 2 and allow the EU to dictate the Brexit terms we leave under. Scenario 2 Corbyn,, Mcdonell & Abbott don't get an outright majority and form a coalition with the SNP. Everything as above but Sturgeon gets a seat at the Brexit negotiations and ruins it for all before breaking up the Union. I am not sure who to vote for but feel any form of Labour government with those 3 + Sturgeon at the helm does not bare thinking about. I don't agree 100% with everything in the Tory manifesto, but I can live with that because I want to see the UK continuing in economic growth, with funding getting out there as it can be afforded rather than borrow now and pay tomorrow and above all a decent Brexit settlement.I have voted labour all my life , the last labour government with TB as pm has a lot to answer for. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rallyman said:

The choice is very simple. You could Vote Labour, if you do this there are 2 possible outcomes. Corbyn, McDonell & Abbott with a parliamentary majority will spend and borrow unimaginable amounts of money to fund their manifesto.  They will Tax higher earners to the point they leave the UK like in the 70's. Corbyn will agree to Indy ref 2 and allow the EU to dictate the Brexit terms we leave under. Scenario 2 Corbyn,, Mcdonell & Abbott don't get an outright majority and form a coalition with the SNP. Everything as above but Sturgeon gets a seat at the Brexit negotiations and ruins it for all before breaking up the Union. I am not sure who to vote for but feel any form of Labour government with those 3 + Sturgeon at the helm does not bare thinking about. I don't agree 100% with everything in the Tory manifesto, but I can live with that because I want to see the UK continuing in economic growth, with funding getting out there as it can be afforded rather than borrow now and pay tomorrow and above all a decent Brexit settlement.I have voted labour all my life , the last labour government with TB as pm has a lot to answer for. 

Gordon Brown was the last labour leader.

He was a dud.

5 minutes ago, Parley said:

Gordon Brown was the last labour leader.

He was a dud.

Agree , TB created a mess in the Middle East with his mate Bush which we are all paying  for , He is a peace envoy for the Middle East now  you couldn't make it up . 

Edited by Rallyman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Agree , TB created a mess in the Middle East with his mate Bush which we are all paying  for , He is a peace envoy for the Middle East now  you couldn't make it up . 

TB probably has much more in common with TM than JC.

6 hours ago, Rallyman said:

It's a bit like brexit or trump.

If you vote TM you vote for more of the same. Protection of an ever increasing wealth gap.

A vote for corbyn is a vote for something different. It could be a good thing. It might not be, but I do think you will get a better brexit with Corbyn. May has burnt her bridges, and she has shown she is a crap negotiator. 

• Like 1

Well May and the Tories are not doing well, the Tory press this morning are literally foaming at the mouth with their front page lies, talk about project fear.

I think May's sell by date has been shortened by at least 3 years, she will never be able to control the right wing from here on in.

If the Tories get back in then it is another 5 years of austerity with cuts to infrastructure continuing, that will be 13 years of under investment in the country, it will be like a run down version of Spain, the economy would have to grow at in excess of 4% per year, and even higher to recover those lost 13 years, that must surely ring alarm bells for anyone regardless of political thought, north/south crossrail is on hold/cancelled, what will that mean for London which is the only growth point in the country and along with the SE is supporting the rest of the country.

It is either start and borrow now or just see the country slowly decline with all the tears in the fabric becoming ever more clear.

6 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Well May and the Tories are not doing well, the Tory press this morning are literally foaming at the mouth with their front page lies, talk about project fear.

I think May's sell by date has been shortened by at least 3 years, she will never be able to control the right wing from here on in.

If the Tories get back in then it is another 5 years of austerity with cuts to infrastructure continuing, that will be 13 years of under investment in the country, it will be like a run down version of Spain, the economy would have to grow at in excess of 4% per year, and even higher to recover those lost 13 years, that must surely ring alarm bells for anyone regardless of political thought, north/south crossrail is on hold/cancelled, what will that mean for London which is the only growth point in the country and along with the SE is supporting the rest of the country.

It is either start and borrow now or just see the country slowly decline with all the tears in the fabric becoming ever more clear.

May won't last the year. She may be forced to resign after the election if she reduces her majority.

What a complete disaster.

All she had to do was stand there and smile.

How hard was that?

Now we have a weak and wobbly brexit.

Who would have thought Corbyn would have been the country's saviour?

Christ this is bad. They couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

It's so bad my wife thinks it's a Murdoch plot to mobilise the Tory voters. She doesn't believe the Tories could be that bad. Car crash election.

28 minutes ago, newjez said:

May won't last the year. She may be forced to resign after the election if she reduces her majority.

What a complete disaster.

All she had to do was stand there and smile.

How hard was that?

Now we have a weak and wobbly brexit.

Who would have thought Corbyn would have been the country's saviour?

Christ this is bad. They couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

It's so bad my wife thinks it's a Murdoch plot to mobilise the Tory voters. She doesn't believe the Tories could be that bad. Car crash election.

I think a likely scenario is that a lot of Conservative older voters may simply not vote, they will never vote anything other than Tory but the about turn on pensions, the 'dementia' tax  and the state of the NHS may unsettle them enough to see them refuse to turn out.

I doubt that Labour will win seats but the Tories will lose seats by default.

I cannot guess what impact this is going to have on brexit, this must be the biggest miscalculation since the Tories and Churchill in 1946?, the right are going to savage her if she does not increase the majority, Bojo, Gove et al, are going to have her for breakfast on the Saturday following.

And meanwhile the whole of Europe is going to be having a laughfest at 'hapless Albion'

Ruritania for ever and all because we are addicted to 'pomp and circumstances'

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

19 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

I think a likely scenario is that a lot of Conservative older voters may simply not vote, they will never vote anything other than Tory but the about turn on pensions, the 'dementia' tax  and the state of the NHS may unsettle them enough to see them refuse to turn out.

I doubt that Labour will win seats but the Tories will lose seats by default.

I cannot guess what impact this is going to have on brexit, this must be the biggest miscalculation since the Tories and Churchill in 1946?, the right are going to savage her if she does not increase the majority, Bojo, Gove et al, are going to have her for breakfast on the Saturday following.

And meanwhile the whole of Europe is going to be having a laughfest at 'hapless Albion'

Ruritania for ever and all because we are addicted to 'pomp and circumstances'

I imagine Gove is already sharpening his knives. He has a grudge to bare. I doubt he'll take the crown himself. I doubt Boris will trust him again. Possibly Hammond? Not sure if gove would support him, but it probably wouldn't matter. I like Hammond because he's not as stupid as most of the cabinet.

• Like 1