Snap General Election Called

VERYSTORMY

52 minutes ago, BritChickx said:

Im not even anti tory ill be voting for them as there's no one better currently. 

I am anti Corbyn but couldn't bring myself to vote Tory its implanted in my DNA not to ? son of a miner and an area decimated by Thatcher. Yo don't forget these things lol

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, doubter said:

I am anti Corbyn but couldn't bring myself to vote Tory its implanted in my DNA not to ? son of a miner and an area decimated by Thatcher. Yo don't forget these things lol

Thats fair enough. I wasnt brought up with any political bias i just found my way by myself lol. 

• Like 2

Just now, BritChickx said:

Thats fair enough. I wasnt brought up with any political bias i just found my way by myself lol. 

That's fair enough each to their own but if I lived in England two reasons as an NHS employee I would not vote Tory. Lack of funding in the NHS and the scrapping of NHS bursaries and NHS funded tution fees for students on healthcare courses. These are still funded under a Labour government in Wales.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, doubter said:

That's fair enough each to their own but if I lived in England two reasons as an NHS employee I would not vote Tory. Lack of funding in the NHS and the scrapping of NHS bursaries and NHS funded tution fees for students on healthcare courses. These are still funded under a Labour government in Wales.

Im in the minority but im better off with the loan...  but it sucks to be in debt! 

2 minutes ago, BritChickx said:

Im in the minority but im better off with the loan...  but it sucks to be in debt! 

My daughter gets her full tution fees paid for and a NHS bursary over the 3 years she doesn't have to pay back.The only thing she has to pay back is a student loan towards living costs if she chooses to have.Certainly less debt after 3 years than some of her friends on non healthcare courses.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, doubter said:

My daughter gets her full tution fees paid for and a NHS bursary over the 3 years she doesn't have to pay back.The only thing she has to pay back is a student loan towards living costs if she chooses to have.Certainly less debt after 3 years than some of her friends on non healthcare courses.

In theory it is but i literally couldnt afford to survive if I wasnt getting the full maintenance loan. I would have only got 3k or so altogether per year to live on under the old scheme and now I get 9. Reason being the bursary was always means tested on parents income even if youre a mature student. On paper my parents earn a decent amount but they wouldnt and wont be financially supporting me. Its a bit twisted but this way i can afford to live somewhere to study. And I couldnt have studied local and live at home as i dont have the entry requirements to get into my local one as its a RG uni! My accomodation alone costs 6 grand a year. 

Edited by BritChickx
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, BritChickx said:

In theory it is but i literally couldnt afford to survive if I wasnt getting the full maintenance loan. I would have only got 3k or so altogether per year to live on under the old scheme and now I get 9. Reason being the bursary was always means tested on parents income even if youre a mature student. On paper my parents earn a decent amount but they wouldnt and wont be financially supporting me. Its a bit twisted but this way i can afford to live somewhere to study. And I couldnt have studied local and live at home as i dont have the entry requirements to get into my local one as its a RG uni! My accomodation alone costs 6 grand a year. 

You are completely right last year my daughter could only get £3030 maintenance loan and £1300 bursary which didn't cover her rent which was £5000+ I had to make up her rent costs and my wife works extra nurse bank shifts to send her money every week to live.We were penalised in regards to the loan and the bursary because of our income.Our income is taken into account regardless of our financial commitments as we are expected to make up the difference.Hence our lives are on hold for 3 years ?

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, doubter said:

You are completely right last year my daughter could only get £3030 maintenance loan and £1300 bursary which didn't cover her rent which was £5000+ I had to make up her rent costs and my wife works extra nurse bank shifts to send her money every week to live.We were penalised in regards to the loan and the bursary because of our income.Our income is taken into account regardless of our financial commitments as we are expected to make up the difference.Hence our lives are on hold for 3 years ?

It's so crappy. I admire you and your wife for helping out your daughter though, a lot of parents won't or can't afford to. I guess you can't move abroad until your daughter finishes uni either?

1 minute ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Would you mind just looking at my post in the last hour in "brexit" in which I've tried to answer why that might be the worstcase.

Not really but thanks anyway it's all based on opinions my friend.

Just now, BritChickx said:

It's so crappy. I admire you and your wife for helping out your daughter though, a lot of parents won't or can't afford to. I guess you can't move abroad until your daughter finishes uni either?

That's the problem I have got now my daughter has 2 years left but she wants to do her own thing now and Australia is currently not one of those even though she adapted and enjoyed her time in OZ.Thats what a boyfriend, a good circle of friends with a good social life does ?

When I got my recent RRV it was only for a year and I am still waiting for the job offer in the post to know where in South Australia that offer is. To be honest my heart is still in Queensland but I need to secure employment before I go and opportunities have become less. This would be the last chance saloon for me I think and if I don't go now I will have to put it to bed.Then again I have been saying that since I returned in 2010 but can't let go ? If it was just me and I never had priorities or commitments I would just go and do any job and travel with my PR.I have got the travel and adventure bug in later life because I didn't do it like friends due to having a child young.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, winter1 said:

Does she have to get parliamentary approval to relinquish the 5 year  fixed term rule?

How can anyone support someone who has said in the recent past that she did not intend to hold an election, what load of weasel words are we supposed to swallow whole now like some bunch of performing seals,  does she think the the whole country is thick.

3 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

I think the reasons are in May's speech. There are a number of pro EU Tories who could cause issues going forward mainly to suit their own agenda more than anything else. But, by getting a big majority, it saps any power they had as if the 20-30 start playing games, it is no threat to the majority.

Depressingly accurate.

1 hour ago, doubter said:

Thank God.

There is at least one other person out there who understands where we are going with the Tories.

Edited by BacktoDemocracy
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Collie said:

What a horrible and offensive comment to use as an analogy.  Try visiting Auschwitz someday, it will open your eyes

Didn't mean to cause offence. But I do feel this is an extremely sad day for Britain. I didn't think I could over emphasise that point.  I can't delete the post myself but happy for you to report it an get it deleted if you wish.

6 minutes ago, newjez said:

Didn't mean to cause offence. But I do feel this is an extremely sad day for Britain. I didn't think I could over emphasise that point.  I can't delete the post myself but happy for you to report it an get it deleted if you wish.

I accept you didn't want to cause offence but I though it was an odd choice of words to use.

Ding dong seems the witch isn't dead.

Very clever of TS to do this now eat a little humble pie in order to tear the Labour Party to pieces, could see a slight return for the lib dems apparently 5000 new members in light of the call for an election.

The wealthy will continue to get richer whilst the average working man and woman pays the price.

12 hours ago, newjez said:

Ok - Apology accepted.

I had no problem with your point just with the analogy used.  It is NEVER ok to use real life massacres as an analogy to something like that.  It belittles the reality of what happened which should never be forgotten.

The next time you are in Europe, go visit a concentration camp, it is a chilling experience.  I'll leave it there. 

... And of course, there is the elephant in the room. What happens if corbyn does a trump? What if social media gets behind him like it did Trump, and he rolls into power in a SNP, green, lib Dems alliance? Cancels brexit, starts a flower power revolution and kills trident?

What then?

31 minutes ago, newjez said:

... And of course, there is the elephant in the room. What happens if corbyn does a trump? What if social media gets behind him like it did Trump, and he rolls into power in a SNP, green, lib Dems alliance? Cancels brexit, starts a flower power revolution and kills trident?

What then?

You'll have to lay off the magic mushrooms the fantasies are getting dangerous.

2 hours ago, newjez said:

What then?

Wow what a vivid imagination you have :D

1 hour ago, Sandgroper said:

Wow what a vivid imagination you have :D

That's what they said about brexit and Trump. Imagine the odds you would have got on brexit and Trump? How do they compare to the odds on Corbyn? I do think if corbyn got in it would be a disaster. Not because of what he would try and do, but because the government wouldn't function.

Although it is much more likely we will have a Tory government of the same ilk as Blair's government, and we know how that went. You do need a viable opposition. Maybe Hillary Benn will take over the reigns. At least he can speak.

Edited by newjez