Snap General Election Called

VERYSTORMY

45 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Why do you state so categorically that cutting police has had no affect, some of these attackers were reported and there was no follow up investigation, that is the clearest indication ever of a lack of manpower, if you want to hear who is becoming radicalised you have to have feet on the ground listening to peoples complaints and recognising what is happening on the streets.

I feel like your whole rant is inspired by the fact that the Tories slash and burn on all fronts has been shown to be what it is, a collection of lies and subterfuges to hide their complete incompetence and disdain for anyone who is not one of us. 

From Cameron's inability to stand up to his right wing and lack of preparedness through to May's incompetence and lack of a real set of policies beyond pure desire to exploit what she thought was a weak and disorganised Labour party. Well now she looks weak and disorganised with a party that is a laughing stock,  it will not matter if she wins this election her authority is gone and at the first opportunity she will be challenged by some other right wing plonker and her antagonising of Europe is going to ensure this country is shat on from a great height. 

I believe the only reason Gove is supporting her is that he would like her to still be PM when he stabs her in the back. It won't be quite the same if she is leader of the opposition. Must have hurt him to do that.

Edited by newjez

7 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Some facts on Comrade Corbyn:

Fact 1. He voted against every piece of anti terror legislation

Fact 2. He did call Hamas his friends

Fact 3. He did invite a convicted IRA bomber to Westminster hours after they bombed

Fact 4. Only a year  before becoming leader he went to North Africa and laid a wreath in remembrance of the Islamic terrorists that carried out the Munich Olympics attack.

A vote for Corbyn is a vote in support of terrorism. You might as well put a flag pole in your garden and run up the black flag

A post which sums up the desparation of the extreme right.

Virtually ignoring his policies and their own and focussing on personal attacks and accusations that he is a supporter of terrorism.   Quite how he would work to encourage more terrorism in the UK if PM and why he would want to do so is never explained.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

A post which sums up the desparation of the extreme right.

Virtually ignoring his policies and their own and focussing on personal attacks and accusations that he is a supporter of terrorism.   Quite how he would work to encourage more terrorism in the UK if PM and why he would want to do so is never explained.

The irony is that if he was actually a friend of the terrorists, then you would expect terrorism to reduce after he is elected.

36 minutes ago, simmo said:

I wonder if the lefties will accept the results if their party loses,. Or will it be tears and tantrums like it was with brexit.

We all know the UK system is crap and doesn't support splinter parties. That is why UKip was such a threat. It would be okay with a two party system like the states. The UK is sadly in need of electral reform.

That said, I don't think anyone seriously expects labour to win. 

A hung parliament is possible, but even then I think that is remote.

4 minutes ago, amibovered said:

You obviously didn't, maybe get an adult to read it slowly for you.

Clue is at the end.

I wonder if the lefties will accept the results if their party loses,. Or will it be tears and tantrums like it was with brexit.

4 hours ago, Collie said:

Can you expand on this please?

Peace in NI was achieved by talking to both sides through a number of administrations in both countries.  It was John Major and Albert Reynolds who kickstarted it with John Hume and David Trimble.  Later followed through by Blair governments in the UK and the Bruton followed by Ahern goverments in Ireland.

Point of information - Germany is the UK's largest trading partner (c.14% bigger than the US) and the UK does about 4.5 times more trade within the EU than with the US.

I read a artical a couple of weeks ago about Corbyn and the peace process , I will have to look it up but I am sure it was a interview with Martin McGuinness who stated that Corbyn had absolutely nothing to do with it in any shape or form  , he was hanging onto others coat tails to try to make a name for him self 

14 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

I read a artical a couple of weeks ago about Corbyn and the peace process , I will have to look it up but I am sure it was a interview with Martin McGuinness who stated that Corbyn had absolutely nothing to do with it in any shape or form  , he was hanging onto others coat tails to try to make a name for him self 

He wasn't a minister, he was a fringe MP at odds with his leader. Did you expect him to project manager the thing?

2 minutes ago, newjez said:

He wasn't a minister, he was a fringe MP at odds with his leader. Did you expect him to project manager the thing?

I am only saying what I read , no I didn't expect him to project mange it , what  I quoted was in response to him talking himself up as being part of the peace process which is clearly untrue . 

I just don't trust the man , I have been a labour voter all my life but the current lot sorry I would not let them run a tea party 

Corbyn has stated many times he is not a career politician , he's been in Westminster for 35 years so what does that make him part time ? 

His own party had a vote of no confidence in him and all the decent frontbenchers resigned so we are left with all the dross ,prior to her standing down yesterday in all honesty would you be happy with Abbott being Home Secretary ? 

I can't say I am jumping through hoops about May but at the present time she is the better option IMHO and I don't think she will be around in 3 years time 

So I have not been watching intently however we do have access to Sky News and BBC News and speak to old friends and family in U.K. 

In conclusion, Terrisa May has to win this election convincingly to keep UK on the track otherwise I can see significant financial problems with the combination of Brexit and Labour overspending resulting a lack of international trust and business leaving quickly. The only issue for the Conservatives is complacency with voters assuming victory is in the bag. 

The terror attacks have hurt the Conservatives and Labour has made so many uncosted promises to bribe the inexperienced or short sighted voters, surely when standing at the booth people will see through the rubbish and make the right choice and vote Conservative for stability and a stronger negotiating position with Brexit. It may be a bitter pill for some people but not all choices which are right choices are the easy choices.

I wish I could depend on this however Brexit has shaken up traditional views and opinions.

Best of luck everybody and please do get involved and vote. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, srg73 said:

So I have not been watching intently however we do have access to Sky News and BBC News and speak to old friends and family in U.K. 

In conclusion, Terrisa May has to win this election convincingly to keep UK on the track otherwise I can see significant financial problems with the combination of Brexit and Labour overspending resulting a lack of international trust and business leaving quickly. The only issue for the Conservatives is complacency with voters assuming victory is in the bag. 

The terror attacks have hurt the Conservatives and Labour has made so many uncosted promises to bribe the inexperienced or short sighted voters, surely when standing at the booth people will see through the rubbish and make the right choice and vote Conservative for stability and a stronger negotiating position with Brexit. It may be a bitter pill for some people but not all choices which are right choices are the easy choices.

I wish I could depend on this however Brexit has shaken up traditional views and opinions.

Best of luck everybody and please do get involved and vote. 

The Tory manifesto wasn't costed. It made it easier for when they kept changing it. In a strong and stable way, obviously.

Edited by newjez

19 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

I am only saying what I read , no I didn't expect him to project mange it , what  I quoted was in response to him talking himself up as being part of the peace process which is clearly untrue . 

I just don't trust the man , I have been a labour voter all my life but the current lot sorry I would not let them run a tea party 

Corbyn has stated many times he is not a career politician , he's been in Westminster for 35 years so what does that make him part time ? 

His own party had a vote of no confidence in him and all the decent frontbenchers resigned so we are left with all the dross ,prior to her standing down yesterday in all honesty would you be happy with Abbott being Home Secretary ? 

I can't say I am jumping through hoops about May but at the present time she is the better option IMHO and I don't think she will be around in 3 years time 

I think corbyn winning would be a disaster. But the Tories need to lose their arrogance and accept that there will be payback for the choices they make. They are not without opposition. The idea of leaving the EU without putting arrangements in place is so ridiculous it doesn't bear commenting on. The Tories need to know they have to be responsible. I'm hoping this election will teach them that, but still give her enough majority to manage the right of her party. If we get that I'll be happy. But a Corbyn victory would be better than a hung parliament. That is my big worry. But I live in the 8th safest Tory seat in the country. So I have no illusions about affecting the outcome personally.

14 minutes ago, newjez said:

I think corbyn winning would be a disaster. But the Tories need to lose their arrogance and accept that there will be payback for the choices they make. They are not without opposition. The idea of leaving the EU without putting arrangements in place is so ridiculous it doesn't bear commenting on. The Tories need to know they have to be responsible. I'm hoping this election will teach them that, but still give her enough majority to manage the right of her party. If we get that I'll be happy. But a Corbyn victory would be better than a hung parliament. That is my big worry. But I live in the 8th safest Tory seat in the country. So I have no illusions about affecting the outcome personally.

I agree , you maybe correct about Corbyn winning than a hung parliament , the last thing needed is sturgeon getting involved in Brexit negotiations 

I know your area well where you live , my fathers family lived in Shoreham by sea they owned a boat yard there many , many years ago 

You live in a great area of the uk Great memories of the area as a child 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keith and Linda said:

I believe that every election that the way one votes would always be a compromise.

Agree.  Glad I am not involved in this one.

I like Corbyn as a rare example of a sincere, principled, thinking, measured, politician who cares about people other than himself. Unfortunately few of his colleagues in Parliament come close hence his unpopularity with the PLP.  I think he would struggle to govern, not due to any personal failings but because his principles are not widely shared by his parliamentary colleagues.

May is an opportunist who has no obvious principles other than to do or say whatever she feels is most appropriate to assume and/or retain her position.  I actually find it hard to believe that she would actually favour 'no deal' on Brexit in reality as her instinct is not to rock the boat too much.  She is also very calculating and probably concerned about her legacy as leader.  I also think that the Tories really should 'own' Brexit and its legacy.

Despite the gains made by Corbyn during the campaign in this particular case the Tories shameless 'project fear' using terrorism will probably see them over the line though the tone of their campaign leaves a really nasty taste - a sign of where democracy has been heading in the social media age.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Agree.  Glad I am not involved in this one.

I like Corbyn as a rare example of a sincere, principled, thinking, measured, politician who cares about people other than himself.

I shared the very same thoughts about Scargill and other Union leaders and still do, but just look at the state they left Britain in. Good intentions are not enough for successful leadership as you need to be a pragmatist that knows just how far you can go with your ideals without creating a backlash and when to back off. Unfortunately, I don't think Corbyn does.

• Like 2