So Brexit now needs parliamentary approval?

srg73

Singapore is run like a fiefdom, no one can step out of line, it runs on cheap labour and low cost housing, they build their infrastructure with imported labour from Bangladesh who live on site in very poor conditions, they do have democracy but it is hardly representative democracy, decisions are made that benefit the state not the populace, so comparisons with East Asian countries is, as always, rather misleading because the state very often treats its populace as factors of production rather than as citizens for whom the government acts in their best interest.

At another level if companies receive govt subsidies and company taxation is reduced where will that reduction in tax income be made up from, there is only one remaining option and that is the working and buying man in the street, at the moment we are experiencing a period of unprecedented austerity as the govt tries to reduce the percentage of GDP spent on state functions and we are seeing those state functions either disappearing or investment into those remaining being reduced to the point where they are not functioning effectively.

Without the tax receipts from industry and the finance sectors due to reductions in tax on them to simply keep them rooted here we will have to pay more and more or see social provision reduced to the bare minimum as in the US. Is this what the Tories are already planning with their unseemly haste to get into bed with Trump.

I think the idea is to encourage Nissan type situations in reverse, where the work is done in one place, the EU, but tax is paid in the UK. Obviously the tax advantage would have to outway any tarrif disincentive.

I tend to agree with this, unless trump pulls something meaningful out of the bag.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/02/05/sterling-may-become-swiss-franc-steroids/

Looks like the Telegraph equivalent of an Express story claiming that summer 2017 will be the hottest ever.

Obviously hoping that sterling bounces back sooner rather than later for totally selfish reasons but see no reasons to expect it yet.

Looks like the Telegraph equivalent of an Express story claiming that summer 2017 will be the hottest ever.

Obviously hoping that sterling bounces back sooner rather than later for totally selfish reasons but see no reasons to expect it yet.

you would be a brave man to bet against sterling during 2017.

I think the idea is to encourage Nissan type situations in reverse, where the work is done in one place, the EU, but tax is paid in the UK. Obviously the tax advantage would have to outway any tarrif disincentive.

And would that makes us a banana republic, if that happened how much of that tax do you think the man in the street is going to see, what jobs is the man in the street going to be doing , order picking for Amazo to supply the whole of Europe.

And I would guess that scenario would lead to a trade war and legal action to prevent it, didn't France raid Google offices seeking proof that they are doing that at the moment..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38762034

Further breakdown of voting stats on Brexit. The old and uneducated by and large voted Leave. Nothing we didn't know there then.

Interesting, older people voted to leave, those who have lived through the bulshite that is the EU, young people voted stay, to be honest most young people I know do not have a =++++++++ing clue about jack shitt

Interesting, older people voted to leave, those who have lived through the bulshite that is the EU, young people voted stay, to be honest most young people I know do not have a =++++++++ing clue about jack shitt

Older uneducated people voted Leave.

If the well-educated younger generation have no clue about anything then the country is in deep trouble wouldn't you think.

If the well-educated younger generation have no clue about anything then the country is in deep trouble wouldn't you think.

Older uneducated ,you really are condescending.

Maybe not as well educated as some of the younger generation as it's a lot easier to get a worth less degree today

But light years ahead when it homes to common sense

The demography spread is not surprising. London has the highest level of degree qualified young people and voted remain. But, for many London residents, mass migration has been a very positive thing. There are now more households in London employing cleaners since the Edwardian period. Drive around London and you will see thousands of hand car wash places where you can get a full valet for as little as £10. Wages for things like waitressing have actually fallen, which has meant going out for a meal if better. There are many other similar things. But, for people in are such as the north east, where jobs are already scarce and are now seeing many more people competing for them and the few social resources, it is a very different thing.

You mustn't upset yourself dear.

I know the young of today, they don't know they're born do they, not like us lived thro the war.

Then all those leftie politicians just gave the Empire away.

It's never been the same since.

I'll go and make you a nice cup of tea, take your pills and you can just get over it dear.

Maybe not as well educated as some of the younger generation as it's a lot easier to get a worth less degree today

I would say the older generation were more educated, you did not have calculators computers doing the work for you, exams were much harder decades ago, today kids are almost given the answers to exam questions, pass rate vare in the high 90s in most schools

The demography spread is not surprising. London has the highest level of degree qualified young people and voted remain. But, for many London residents, mass migration has been a very positive thing. There are now more households in London employing cleaners since the Edwardian period. Drive around London and you will see thousands of hand car wash places where you can get a full valet for as little as £10. Wages for things like waitressing have actually fallen, which has meant going out for a meal if better. There are many other similar things. But, for people in are such as the north east, where jobs are already scarce and are now seeing many more people competing for them and the few social resources, it is a very different thing.
Minimum wage has raised the wages of waiters and waitresses, fact.....wages for these people was shocking before minimum wage and greedy restaurant owners were paying shocking levels of pay and the only way they survived was on tips...fact Edited by Perthbum

No that was the statistical analysis by the report referred to, not an individual opinion but based on facts.

Most of the younger students that my wife is working with astound her with their maturity and level of understanding of how the real world works, they know exactly what they have to achieve in order to be successful, but for a significant number withdrawal from the EU limits their opportunities to further their careers, in the same way that Trumps refusal to allow citizens from some Muslim countries does also.

Where does this prejudice against education come from, getting a degree was my passport out of a dead end job into a profession and into a world of appreciating new experiences .

No that was the statistical analysis by the report referred to, not an individual opinion but based on facts.

Most of the younger students that my wife is working with astound her with their maturity and level of understanding of how the real world works, they know exactly what they have to achieve in order to be successful, but for a significant number withdrawal from the EU limits their opportunities to further their careers, in the same way that Trumps refusal to allow citizens from some Muslim countries does also.

Where does this prejudice against education come from, getting a degree was my passport out of a dead end job into a profession and into a world of appreciating new experiences .

No prejudice from me regarding education , I have worked in construction all my life , working my way up the management ladder and now running my own company and have expirenced these so called " Degree educated builders" first hand haven't got a clue how things are done but can tell you that it's got to be done in 3 days as the programs says so regardless of what is actually involved to do the job ,agree not all as I discribed but there's a hell of a lot out there.

Also ran 2 night clubs in major uk city for 8 years as well as working as a contracts manager half the staff who were working to pay their way through uni couldn't add up or do mental arithmetic to save their lives and lacked common sense beyond belief

No prejudice from me regarding education , I have worked in construction all my life , working my way up the management ladder and now running my own company and have expirenced these so called " Degree educated builders" first hand haven't got a clue how things are done but can tell you that it's got to be done in 3 days as the programs says so regardless of what is actually involved to do the job ,agree not all as I discribed but there's a hell of a lot out there.

Also ran 2 night clubs in major uk city for 8 years as well as working as a contracts manager half the staff who were working to pay their way through uni couldn't add up or do mental arithmetic to save their lives and lacked common sense beyond belief

And if you told the young people of today that....they wouldn't believe you.

Some are struggling to read the article. It doesn't say the older people are uneducated. It says the main groups with a correlation to voting leave were older people and the less well educated. If anyone finds that condescending....well they are the facts as far as voting went ....not my opinion. If you are younger and well educated and voted leave, you are more of a minority group and lumped in with the rest. I would guess the older voters hanker after a bygone age which doesn't exist anywhere any longer....and if the leave vote turns out to be a disaster....well, it doesn't affect them as they will most likely shuffle off this mortal coil in much the same way as if we remained. I won't go there with the less well educated vote for fear of offending anyone on here.

Though I will say, I can't see how a degree would help anyone to be a better builder. Being good with your hands, reasonably fit /strong and at least able to calculate how many bricks you need and then to learn during an apprenticeship with an experienced builder surely more useful? Off topic sorry.