So Brexit now needs parliamentary approval?

srg73

Just commonsense. Every country May speaks to will be seeking the best deal for them. The UK will not get any freebies, least of all from Trump, however much she panders to his ego. VS is right, no deals are probably beter than bad deals.

Who do you look to for balance on this (or indeed any other) topic?
I don't bother reading any newspapers, because it's all just opinion, the only fact we have is the referendum result, I keep an eye on what happening via the BBC or ABC, it will probably be next year at the earliest before we have any insight into the future.

India has a vast population with a potential growth in its middle class booming for the next 20 years,it is taking the same trajectory as China just 15 years behind it, I would think that penetrating its market would be the jewel in the crown for us, but its growing population is going to want access to our market and that is going to be the downside to any trade treaty with a market that will benefit us, that is the reality that nobody had the b*lls to say in the referendum but is now becoming clearer, so we might as well have sucked up the east Europeans as have the problems created by the same number from the Indian sub continent.

And all of that will, as you say, become a issue because Trump may want a trade deal but with his protectionist views it may be too one sided for even May to consider it.

The problem that we are going to have is that we cannot spend 5,6,7 years squabbling over the fine detail of a treaty, we are going to be in the position of take or leave it and that is something that the likes of Duncan Smith are in complete denial about, strutting around like a puffed up Peacock thinking he's Disraeli and he'll send a couple of gunboats up the Danube"they don't ike it up 'em Mr Mainwaring" and that 'll sort it all out.

Not going to happen.....even if we do some trade deal with India we will never experience the influx of Indians on the scale of the Eastern Europeans.....many of which are "crash and grab" economic migrants.....arriving several to a car......sleeping several to a room.....staying a year or two to earn as much as they can and then leave dragging our own wages....living and working standards down with them in the process.....most Indians have not got a pot to p#ss in and can barely afford to eat and put a roof over their heads let alone buy a plane ticket to the UK with enough money to keep them going for a few weeks until they can get a job picking fruit......the immigration issue is for the wealthy few and educated few that could come here.....learn a bit and live a bit.

[h=1]Post-Brexit trade deal with Trump will take years not days, warns former US ambassador to EU[/h]

No kidding Sherlock, there will be no post-Brexit trade deals with anyone, until we leave the EU, and that's going to take, um years.

Presumaby you would favour a trade deal of some type with the EU though in the long run. UK-based buinesses will find increasing problems with exporting to the EU otherwise. Not because of tariffs but due to standardisation and regulatory issues.

In an ideal world no. I am against trade deals as there are always as many losers as winners. But, I suspect we will need one. However, I would propose it is limited rather than a blanket deal

Most people expected Trump to take the entire 4 years to even begin dismantling Obama care, commence the work for the wall, start the end of trade deals - basically his core promises. He has actually started all in the first week.

Then, Obama has actually left a good legacy in this regard. He re-enacted the Fast Trade Deal Act which gives the power of doing a trade deal directly to the President. At the same time, we have two years from March to do it - potentially, unless we undertake Brexit quicker than the 2 years given in the Lisbon Treaty

unless we undertake Brexit quicker than the 2 years given in the Lisbon Treaty

The UK can only vary the 2 year timescale (regardless of whether it's by shortening or lengthening it) if it's with the unanimous agreement of all the member states. Do you really believe that pigs can fly? 2 years after giving notice (whether that's in March or not is another question) is the only option.

Who do you look to for balance on this (or indeed any other) topic?

Well obviously those masters of truth, the Daily Mail, the Daily Express and the Telegraph, never mind that all 3 are will print anything to sell papers as thy stagger to the knackers yard, they can hardly put a reporter into the field today as their readers die off and editors cut staff every which way.

Not going to happen.....even if we do some trade deal with India we will never experience the influx of Indians on the scale of the Eastern Europeans.....many of which are "crash and grab" economic migrants.....arriving several to a car......sleeping several to a room.....staying a year or two to earn as much as they can and then leave dragging our own wages....living and working standards down with them in the process.....most Indians have not got a pot to p#ss in and can barely afford to eat and put a roof over their heads let alone buy a plane ticket to the UK with enough money to keep them going for a few weeks until they can get a job picking fruit......the immigration issue is for the wealthy few and educated few that could come here.....learn a bit and live a bit.

Ho-ho -ho, learn a bit, you are a laugh, having been married to a Brahmin woman and seen her brother in law balance being a barrister and a land and property owner back in India I think I might have a little understanding of the Indian sub continent, you think the eastern Europeans were economic migrants, Indians get loans and then have to pay them off because their families are held as surety.

Most people expected Trump to take the entire 4 years to even begin dismantling Obama care, commence the work for the wall, start the end of trade deals - basically his core promises. He has actually started all in the first week.

Then, Obama has actually left a good legacy in this regard. He re-enacted the Fast Trade Deal Act which gives the power of doing a trade deal directly to the President. At the same time, we have two years from March to do it - potentially, unless we undertake Brexit quicker than the 2 years given in the Lisbon Treaty

Dismantling the health care plan is easy, does he intend to put something in its place.

Signing a bit of paper saying we will build a wall is fine, planning a route and getting men and materials to some of the most arid pats of the world might be a tad more time consuming.

Cancelling trade deals might seem like good fun until some country decides to challenge him.

Well I'm very glad I'm not in May's shoes, she really must want the job that's all I can say, can you imagine having to spout the drivel she is doing to pacify this egotistical narcissist, she will have to draw the line somewhere or else she will be discredited and humiliated.

Ha ha. I thought the same. Could never have been a politician.

The UK can only vary the 2 year timescale (regardless of whether it's by shortening or lengthening it) if it's with the unanimous agreement of all the member states. Do you really believe that pigs can fly? 2 years after giving notice (whether that's in March or not is another question) is the only option.

Yes, but it may be that it is finalized by both sides quicker. Particularly as May has accepted we will be a hard Brexit and the indication from the EU is they would like it to be as quick as possible

Just watched Trump on TV, his idea of a trade deal is one where he has a deal and then it it doesn't work for them, then he will cancel it and force a renegotiation to make it pay for the USA..

And Theresa May is there sitting on his lap licking his ear begging for a deal, seems to me she might want to leave her underwear off it'll save pulling them down and up.

Sorry for the image but it seems to be a reasonable representation of the situation.

The levels of your ignorance are astounding. Half my office has been imported from India. We have enough Indians now that we honour all their religious celebrations (the food is top notch). All of the Indians I work with are very affluent. They have a high standard of living here and at home. You knowledge of European immigrants is also amazingly biased. Do you know any? I know several. Great people, living their lives pretty much as we do. Only real difference is they tend to speak with a slight accent.

Well obviously those masters of truth, the Daily Mail, the Daily Express and the Telegraph, never mind that all 3 are will print anything to sell papers as thy stagger to the knackers yard, they can hardly put a reporter into the field today as their readers die off and editors cut staff every which way.
The BBC is fast falling under that banner sadly. Hopefully to ABC(Australian) can hold onto some integrity.

Well I'm very glad I'm not in May's shoes, she really must want the job that's all I can say, can you imagine having to spout the drivel she is doing to pacify this egotistical narcissist, she will have to draw the line somewhere or else she will be discredited and humiliated.
Can't wait to see the body language. Princess Leia and Jabba the Hutt?

Just watched Trump on TV, his idea of a trade deal is one where he has a deal and then it it doesn't work for them, then he will cancel it and force a renegotiation to make it pay for the USA..

And Theresa May is there sitting on his lap licking his ear begging for a deal, seems to me she might want to leave her underwear off it'll save pulling them down and up.

Sorry for the image but it seems to be a reasonable representation of the situation.

Please! I'm eating. That is extremely discourteous.

The levels of your ignorance are astounding. Half my office has been imported from India. We have enough Indians now that we honour all their religious celebrations (the food is top notch). All of the Indians I work with are very affluent. They have a high standard of living here and at home. You knowledge of European immigrants is also amazingly biased. Do you know any? I know several. Great people, living their lives pretty much as we do. Only real difference is they tend to speak with a slight accent.

He is technically correct that most Indians do still live in poverty. But with a population that is 15 times that of the UK they're still able to have an affluent middle class that exceeds the population of the UK (just to be clear that exceeds the whole population of the UK not the affluent middle class of the UK).