what happens to the e.u now ?

bunbury61

Of course that is true, who would want to keep getting knocked back time after time. Might as well let others pay for you. This should have never happened. Britain made its bed, those that have and those that take and unfortunately it has to be paid for. They need to think on and those that can afford to keep themselves in retirement should keep themselves, like I do here in Aus, they do not pay me a pension and I am not likely to ever get one. I think I should but that is what we all think but realistically the way things are with off shore accounts and tax minimisation countries will never have enough to service all their people's needs.

Who knows what will happen, we like it down under that the pound has dropped we are buying up the pounds for our trips etc.

However Britain is leaving and that is it. What happens depends on how the country pulls together. Reading posts think that is a pipe dream.

Just to let you know Aus is going down the gurgler as well if what I saw on tele last night debt, debt and debt and we cannot pay, oh well we all die anyway so who cares.

Yep you can think gosh she does not know what she talking about, but I have been right before and I am a good judge of characters and one thing I do know, moaning and wondering and worrying will change nothing. Enjoy your day like its your last. Never know when a big tree will fall through your roof.

For or goodness sake a petals, try and cheer up a bit. This thread's a bit heavy I know but you you sound as though you're ready to get your knitting out and watch the heads roll. If that's what migrating to Australia does for your mood, I think maybe brexit has done is a favor!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry im not quite sure what you mean about going the other way and people recouping money they spent going over in the first place - do you mean people going to oz or coming to the UK? Your comment is really a bit incomprehensible in the context of my own. Someone asked if the falling pound had really changed my life that much ... Asked and answered. Dont see what you're banging on about to be honest. Not knocking, just saying.

You are going UK to OZ, right? and you see the financial side has just worsened for you, right? then someone going the other way is obviously Oz to UK, right? so their financial side has Improved, right? If they spent 'x' amount of dollars getting out to OZ in the first place then the favourable exchange rate for them will recoup some of that initial expenditure, right?

no need to get upset with me just because your life has been turned on its head! there are several people on this forum that will be delighted with the pound weakening.

sorry im not quite sure what you mean about going the other way and people recouping money they spent going over in the first place - do you mean people going to oz or coming to the UK? Your comment is really a bit incomprehensible in the context of my own. Someone asked if the falling pound had really changed my life that much ... Asked and answered. Dont see what you're banging on about to be honest. Not knocking, just saying.

I thought you weren't moving till mid next year? A lot can change in that time, might get better,might get worse, but it doesn't actually affect you till you make the move.

We are reliant on all our income in pounds, so have weathered many ups and downs in the exchange rate over the 13 years we have retired here. From a high of over 2.1 when we moved to a low of 1.42. We lost out big time when we moved here as the pound dropped like a stone just as we were about to bring money over to buy our house, nothing to do with Brexit, but we coped, because we were already here so no choice.

Perhaps you should have a rethink, because as I have posted before you seem to be letting every potential set back make you sound less keen on the move.

Retirement can be tough in any country, adjusting to your new status in every way, from finance to how will I fill my life and setting up in a new country costs plenty, perhaps put your decision off for a bit, and see how the exchange rate is going before committing to your move here?

We rented in holiday accommodation when we first came so we could explore different areas, so avoided making an expensive mistake.

With fluctuations in the exchange rate one person wins and another looses, that's life.

Edited by ramot

This would be correct if the members of the block were strong, but the reality is, the vast majority of the members are economic basket cases. A block is only as strong as the members which make it up.

Still stronger in than out. The EU made a great mistake expanding to include economic basket cases. Outside easier prey for vulture nations to wield influence as increasing appears to be the case in Australia.

Someone like very stormy who is selling a house in Australia will benefit from this. The exchange rate he gets when he brings his money back will be fantastic, and it's possible property prices in the UK could drop. Win win for him, where as lose lose for you.

I thought you weren't moving till mid next year? A lot can change in that time, might get better,might get worse, but it doesn't actually affect you till you make the move.

We are reliant on all our income in pounds, so have weathered many ups and downs in the exchange rate over the 13 years we have retired here. From a high of over 2.1 when we moved to a low of 1.42. We lost out big time when we moved here as the pound dropped like a stone just as we were about to bring money over to buy our house, nothing to do with Brexit, but we coped, because we were already here so no choice.

Perhaps you should have a rethink, because as I have posted before you seem to be letting every potential set back make you sound less keen on the move.

Retirement can be tough in any country, adjusting to your new status in every way, from finance to how will I fill my life and setting up in a new country costs plenty, perhaps put your decision off for a bit, and see how the exchange rate is going before committing to your move here?

We rented in holiday accommodation when we first came so we could explore different areas, so avoided making an expensive mistake.

With fluctuations in the exchange rate one person wins and another looses, that's life.

You think the pound will go up in march when article 50 is triggered?

I meant to say that many people are going to be a lot worse off because of the falling pound because it will certainly be reflected in the price of imported goods just for starters. I used the term about the sky falling in because that was the phrase used by the poster concerned.

But since you ask, yes, I was actually planning a very expensive foreign trip. We were planning to join our daughter and baby grandchild in Australia next year on a permenant visa. We had calculated a budget based on our savings and the potential value of our UK house and were hoping to buy a small house up the coast from the city where they live. We won't now be able to do that. At the very least we will probably have to wait another year before joining our family.

So yes, actually, it has changed our lives that much.

Just a reminder that you did more than just answer the question asked! so I saw what you were banging on about! Just saying.

You think the pound will go up in march when article 50 is triggered?

How would I know? Just pointing out that our income has gone up and down before Brexit, so you have to factor in the worst case scenario before you move to see if you can afford to move. To our detriment because we thought the pound/dollar rate was fairly stable we were niaive in not doing that, so at least new immigrants are more aware because of the drop in the pound since Brexit before they make the decision to move.

Edited by ramot

Everyone is free to move from North to South, Sydney to Melbourne, Perth to Melbourne.

Freedom !

If someone really needs a job they won't stay where they are for decades. They will go where the jobs are.

Sounds easy in theory Parley, bit like when Norman Tebbit told people with no jobs up North to "get on their bikes" and find some work.

People up North are generally happy with where they live, have their friends, favourite pubs, sense of humour is different in different places in the UK, so they can have a laugh with people on the same wavelength.

In practice just uprooting and moving, with no guarantee of a job is very hard.

Of course that is true, who would want to keep getting knocked back time after time. Might as well let others pay for you. This should have never happened. Britain made its bed, those that have and those that take and unfortunately it has to be paid for. They need to think on and those that can afford to keep themselves in retirement should keep themselves, like I do here in Aus, they do not pay me a pension and I am not likely to ever get one. I think I should but that is what we all think but realistically the way things are with off shore accounts and tax minimisation countries will never have enough to service all their people's needs.

Who knows what will happen, we like it down under that the pound has dropped we are buying up the pounds for our trips etc.

However Britain is leaving and that is it. What happens depends on how the country pulls together. Reading posts think that is a pipe dream.

Just to let you know Aus is going down the gurgler as well if what I saw on tele last night debt, debt and debt and we cannot pay, oh well we all die anyway so who cares.

Yep you can think gosh she does not know what she talking about, but I have been right before and I am a good judge of characters and one thing I do know, moaning and wondering and worrying will change nothing. Enjoy your day like its your last. Never know when a big tree will fall through your roof.

You must be pretty well off to not get any pension in Aus petals. We've been to a couple of retirement presentations and were pleasantly surprised to se how many assets or income you can have and still be eligible for some sort of pension. We don't have any investment properties or many assets. The family home doesn't come into it so we will probably get some. Even after we get what we are due to from the UK and take our super into account. I think we should be OK in retirement.

Sounds easy in theory Parley, bit like when Norman Tebbit told people with no jobs up North to "get on their bikes" and find some work.

People up North are generally happy with where they live, have their friends, favourite pubs, sense of humour is different in different places in the UK, so they can have a laugh with people on the same wavelength.

No good people like petals moaning about it on their behalf then? If they have not had a job in decades at some point in that time they must have said "well stuff them, if they can't be bothered to find me a job at bottom of our street, they cant expect me t'go looking for one either"

I had to do it twice, leaving young family at home whilst I went to where the work was at that time, but still did not stop me looking for and eventually found work nearer to home again later.

Easier to say it's not my fault I suppose.

I'm not moving till next year, yes the exchange rate can go up and down and yes I realize that whatever money you have ha to weather the ups and downs of the exchange rate once you get there.

However the outlook for the pound for the next couple of years is grim, and the initial cost of buying a property can be totally transformed by a bad fall in the exchange rate.

I mentioned my my own situation as an example, and no, I am not letting every potential set back make me less keen on the move, but simply trying to offer a contradictory view to some of the posters on here who seem to think brexit hasn't made any difference, as in "well the sky hasn't fallen in." Brexit has made a difference and will possibly do so for quite some time to come.

Its a difficult time for the UK at the moment.

Edited by Fisher1

You are going UK to OZ, right? and you see the financial side has just worsened for you, right? then someone going the other way is obviously Oz to UK, right? so their financial side has Improved, right? If they spent 'x' amount of dollars getting out to OZ in the first place then the favourable exchange rate for them will recoup some of that initial expenditure, right?

no need to get upset with me just because your life has been turned on its head! there are several people on this forum that will be delighted with the pound weakening.

I realised that was the logic behind what you said. But it missed my point which was that for some people the sky had fallen in. And for some people it has become difficult. I didn't say life has become difficult for the whole world. That would be upsetting.

Someone like very stormy who is selling a house in Australia will benefit from this. The exchange rate he gets when he brings his money back will be fantastic, and it's possible property prices in the UK could drop. Win win for him, where as lose lose for you.

Property prices will not drop in the uk trust me.

No good people like petals moaning about it on their behalf then? If they have not had a job in decades at some point in that time they must have said "well stuff them, if they can't be bothered to find me a job at bottom of our street, they cant expect me t'go looking for one either"

I had to do it twice, leaving young family at home whilst I went to where the work was at that time, but still did not stop me looking for and eventually found work nearer to home again later.

Easier to say it's not my fault I suppose.

I know where you're coming from mate. I'm ex NCB fitter from Chesterfield but I was determined not to be broke and out of work. I was a bit lucky I had a trade behind me though and I wasn't married with a mortgage and a couple of kids. Otherwise it might have been a different story, like a few of my friends.

I've never been scared of trying something new though, my mates thought I was nuts having a girlfriend from Manchester on not someone local.

Unless you're Polish perhaps........!

In relation to trump ,all true ,and some .....but she is worse ....much worse

On what basis do you make that assessment.

If you agree that the image of Trump is valid then how can Clinton be worse, what just because she's a woman.

The man is a complete fantasist, he just makes it up as he goes along, it's not like he's lying, he just simply makes it up to suit the moment without any regard to facts, the only consistent thing is his obsession with sex and his sexuality, that is something very worrying because that clouds his judgement and also means he is easily diverted from the task in hand.

If he's elected, god forbid, then we are truly into the post truth era.

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

On what basis do you make that assessment.

If you agree that the image of Trump is valid then how can Clinton be worse, what just because she's a woman.

The man is a complete fantasist, he just makes it up as he goes along, it's not like he's lying, he just simply makes it up to suit the moment without any regard to facts, the only consistent thing is his obsession with sex and his sexuality, that is something very worrying because that clouds his judgement and also means he is easily diverted from the task in hand.

If he's elected, god forbid, then we are truly into the post truth era.

He does remind me very much of JBP - don't you worry about that ...