what happens to the e.u now ?

bunbury61

I'm not really sure why you are getting so wound up about this anyway. You left the UK in 1999 and your life is in Australia now, so you didn't have a vote in the referendum and can't really hope to have as clear a view of what went on before the vote in terms of both sides "lying their heads off" as people actually living in the UK while it was all going on. Why would you? And to be fair, if you didn't have a vote, you can't (newjez take note) be blamed for the result.

Your attitude to developments in the UK now though I find baffling. You seem to think that the post referendum situation is all just a passing hiccup. Of course there are other forces at play besides the Brexit vote, but from where I'm standing - I'm no political expert this is just my impression - the UK is in turmoil. We don't appear to have an opposition party, not one that opposes the government of the day anyway - they are all too busy fighting amongst themselves. The unelected prime minister doesn't appear to know what she is doing, and seems to be making ever more anti immigrant statements every time she opens her mouth. The slimy Nige is intent on winning as many enemies as possible during his remaining time as an MEP and Boris - having somehow wormed his way back into a powerful position - doesn't seem to be doing anything to help the situation.

I fear for the people without decent resources to see them through this crisis, because I think we are being governed by a motley bunch of second rate rabble rousers who have no idea what to do with the ball they so unexpectedly caught last June.

Welll I think it is you that is sounding slightly hysterical now. UK in turmoil, come on get a grip. The world is still spinning, yes there is some uncertainty ahead, but there always is, by definition. You have no way of knowing what direction the EU might choose to take in the future either and anybody that says they can see into the future (or could) is an idiot. The sooner everybody stopps panicking and fretting and just got on with life the sooner normality will return, this doom and gloom is a self fulfilling prophecy.

Labour party in turmoil is nothing to do with Brexit and the UK has never elected a PM, we elect MPs and in doing so, a party. It is up to the party to decide who is leader and always has been. Nigel is not in a powerful position, he is leader of a political party of one MP. Do what everybody else does and just ignore him.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pound to AU $ was a lot lower in 2012 than it currently is ,although I do think it's going to drop lower ,it's cetainly going to be bumpy ride.

In economic terms the GBPs value compared with the AUD is, frankly, irrelevant. After the GFC the AUD became a 'safe-haven' currency so its value soared. You need to look at the GBPs value against currencies like the USD and the Euro.

Throughout 2012 a GBP was worth in excess of USD 1.50. It has lost 20% of that value this year to values not seen since the mid 80s and Black Monday.

Against the Euro which was struggling with the Greek debt crisis in 2012/13 the GBP was worth around 1.2 Euro. Now down at 1.1.

Welll I think it is you that is sounding slightly hysterical now. UK in turmoil, come on get a grip. The world is still spinning, yes there is some uncertainty ahead, but there always is, by definition. You have no way of knowing what direction the EU might choose to take in the future either and anybody that says they can see into the future (or could) is an idiot. The sooner everybody stopps panicking and fretting and just got on with life the sooner normality will return, this doom and gloom is a self fulfilling prophecy.

Labour party in turmoil is nothing to do with Brexit and the UK has never elected a PM, we elect MPs and in doing so, a party. It is up to the party to decide who is leader and always has been. Nigel is not in a powerful position, he is leader of a political party of one MP. Do what everybody else does and just ignore him.

Keep calm and carry on hey?

Somehow, I don't think the country having a collective deep breath and sitting down to a stiff cup of tea is going to make this problem go away.

It is no coincidence that we have arrived at this brexit door at a time when the lib dems are a remnant of their former selves, labour are tearing themselves apart and the only effective opposition is a party that wants to break away from the rest of us.

Your government is only as good as your opposition.

At the moment neither are particularly competent, and we are embarking on the most complicated and dangerous course of action since the war. Keeping calm ain't gonna do it matey.

As a footnote to the above I read that on Tuesday the GBP fell to its lowest level in history on a trade weighted index. This measures the value of the currency against all other currencies after taking into account the value of inter-alia trades.

Coming at a time when the economy is doing well this highlights the staggering effect of the continuing uncertainty surrounding Brexit. As, without Brexit the GBP should, by any measure, have been strong.

Keep calm and carry on hey?

Somehow, I don't think the country having a collective deep breath and sitting down to a stiff cup of tea is going to make this problem go away.

It is no coincidence that we have arrived at this brexit door at a time when the lib dems are a remnant of their former selves, labour are tearing themselves apart and the only effective opposition is a party that wants to break away from the rest of us.

Your government is only as good as your opposition.

At the moment neither are particularly competent, and we are embarking on the most complicated and dangerous course of action since the war. Keeping calm ain't gonna do it matey.

You forgot to mention too that the main driver of all this has been a party with a single MP.

So you think that I am some sort of unique person and do not know another single sole in the UK? and that I have no interest UK because my life is here in Aus? you are so so wrong however one may ask what interest you have considering your leaving, but one can see that you are not exactly enamored with the British political system and the current elected leaders, well you certainly will enjoy yourself when you get to Aus! Can we assume that your plans to leave the UK were well advanced prior to the Brexit? if so your real problem with the brexit is the currency exchange.

My main beef is with folk whom are so extreme with their views opinions especially when it is on the doom and gloom end of the extremes, which really can only be described as scare mongering, along with their refusal to see or even accept that here is a middle road, it does not help anybody or the process of brexit to keep pouting such. You will not find any post of mine ( or many of others) which says everything will be a bed of roses or it will be a walk in the park. The British people have voted and everybody needs to get behind the process, but I suppose if not happy with it they can follow you?

The situation that the UK is in is not unique it is just the blame name for it is different.

Tell me another country which is in the same position as the uk, Venezuela perhaps, their inept politicians have reduced that country to penury, so I suppose you could say that is self imposed .

Oh dear! I do hope that they are keeping your shoe laces and pointy objects away from you!

Enough with the allusions to my mental state, as I am actually having to live thro this sh*t and see my country become some isolationist xenophobic banana republic just because a bunch of self serving mendacious politicians chose to exploit peoples prejudices to further their own careers then yes I am at the moment pretty pissed with peoples ignorance.Most of the people who voted for out seem to have thought that it would have no effect on them, well the next few months is going to show that yes it will impact on their lives as well as those with a good job, pension and savings.

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

No, I don't think you are some sort of unique person, or that you have no interest in the UK, or that you don't know another single soul in the UK. I think that because your life is in Australia now you cannot possibly have the same insight into the events leading up to the referendum as someone who was actually here in the UK at the time.

My my personal situation is not really relevant here, except to say that my plans to leave were well advanced before Brexit but that no, my main problem with Brexit is nothing to do with the currency exchange rate. I worked for the EU for the better part of my career and still believe that on the whole we were better together. I feel saddened beyond words at the way things have turned out.

The current leaders were elected a relatively short time ago, on a manifesto which bore no resemblance to some of the plans that Ms May and her colleagues have been suggesting recently and they seem to be doing their best to prevent cross party discussion in Westminster. I think this takes her so far beyond her original remit that she is pushing right up to the edge of what is acceptable in a democracy. This is not a middle road.

Not only is discussion in Westminster healthy and normal, it is healthy and normal for individuals to discuss and comment on current affairs in their own country. Many people sincerely believe that the UK is going to have an extremely tough few years if they go ahead with Brexit and as citizens of the UK they are entirely justified in voicing those opinions. We live, as I have mentioned, in a democracy where freedom of speech is allowed.

Of course you have not claimed it is all going to be a walk in the park, but you have said that the British people have voted and everybody needs to get behind it. I agree, but that does not preclude them from complaining long and loud if they see something that they feel is unjust, unfair, or undemocratic. Your suggestion that people can always follow me to Australia if they don't like the way things are going is too patently silly to deserve a comment. Other than to say that I don't think Your government would be too keen on that, do you?

Very well said, especially about democratic processes.

That is always the clarion call from the Right isn't it, "what are you complaining about we are ONLY doing X" and then before you know it your civil liberties are gone and you're living in a police state so telling me stop whinging will only convince me more that we are heading for a democratic disaster.

You forgot to mention too that the main driver of all this has been a party with a single MP.

Ukip is the spark to the Tory fuel dump.

Tories have always been split over Europe.

Tories could even split over Europe - There have been rumours of a new Social Democrats party

Enough with the allusions to my mental state, as I am actually having to live thro this sh*t and see my country become some isolationist xenophobic banana republic just because a bunch of self serving mendacious politicians chose to exploit peoples prejudices to further their own careers then yes I am at the moment pretty pissed with peoples ignorance.Most of the people who voted for out seem to have thought that it would have no effect on them, well the next few months is going to show that yes it will impact on their lives as well as those with a good job, pension and savings.

Apparently strictly is racist too.

In economic terms the GBPs value compared with the AUD is, frankly, irrelevant. After the GFC the AUD became a 'safe-haven' currency so its value soared. You need to look at the GBPs value against currencies like the USD and the Euro.

Throughout 2012 a GBP was worth in excess of USD 1.50. It has lost 20% of that value this year to values not seen since the mid 80s and Black Monday.

Against the Euro which was struggling with the Greek debt crisis in 2012/13 the GBP was worth around 1.2 Euro. Now down at 1.1.

It is to me as its it's costing me big time at the moment, you can quote what ever exchange rates you like they all go up and down , I remember back in the early eighties the pound being worth over 2 USA dollors , when it dropped the U.K. Still carried on as do other countries when the value goes up and down ,

The Greek debt crisis was brought on by moving the goal posts to allow them th join the euro as at the time they did not meet the criteria.,it's certainly coming back to bite them on that one.

I'm sorry, did I say someone sounded hysterical?

You are express your opinions beautifully Bungo, well done. You're clearly not one to ignore something that irks them.

Edited by Fisher1