what happens to the e.u now ?

bunbury61

Well, property in London has actually fallen by at least 20%. Unfortunately that is only for overseas investors so far.

Can you explain that please

Do you mean because the pound has devalued? So for new or existing investors?

Edited by ramot

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some suburbs in Perth have dropped by that much and maybe more. Others carry on being in demand so don't fall at all.

Well ... some suburbs are more diverse in their housing stock valve, and it's harder to judge the change in a low market.

But you are right as well. Things don't fall evenly.

Edited by newjez

Will the average person in the UK care or be impacted by the pound dropping.

As has been pointed out by others the pound has gone up and down forever and always will.

It will continue to fall and rise again.

The main thing people may notice are price rises but it takes a sustained period of devaluation before this impacts. They will also receive less money for their £s should they choose a foreign holiday. So the impact on most people is minimal.

Many businesses benefit from a falling currency.

Will the average person in the UK care or be impacted by the pound dropping.

As has been pointed out by others the pound has gone up and down forever and always will.

It will continue to fall and rise again.

It will affect the poor. We are not in recession. Demand is high. Food prices will go up alot. Add to this the unrelated increase in the oil price and some will get close to the edge. Except bigger queues at the food banks.

For the rest, it means discretionary spending will go up, electrical, holidays etc.

But it is the battlers, pensioners, working class, unemployed who will suffer. It may hurt those who voted to leave more than those who voted to remain.

Yes, in a tsunami you still get normal tides.

I mean for god's sake, what are you trying to say? You've backed a highly risky and irresponsible course of action. Show some responsibility. We all have to suffer to stop the immigration. That's what you wanted, that's what you've got. Can't believe you people.

I cannot believe that people like you can only see and focus on the down side as well as make ridicules and stupid statements about what I and other people want or wanted, did or did not do, just because they do not conform to your single minded view on things. Are you unable to see that there is some middle ground here? do you not understand world fluctuations in currencies?

Yes, for new investors because of the currency devaluation.

Existing investors will only have a fall if they sell and exchange the proceeds to another currency.

Lucky we have had our London house for a long time then. won't worry till we ever need to sell.

I cannot believe that people like you can only see and focus on the down side as well as make ridicules and stupid statements about what I and other people want or wanted, did or did not do, just because they do not conform to your single minded view on things. Are you unable to see that there is some middle ground here? do you not understand world fluctuations in currencies?

Look, if you want to absolve yourself of guilt mate, go and see a priest. I ain't listening. You and your ilk are destroying this country and making people suffer to enact some racist Tory dream.

Edited by newjez

It will affect the poor. We are not in recession. Demand is high. Food prices will go up alot. Add to this the unrelated increase in the oil price and some will get close to the edge. Except bigger queues at the food banks.

For the rest, it means discretionary spending will go up, electrical, holidays etc.

But it is the battlers, pensioners, working class, unemployed who will suffer. It may hurt those who voted to leave more than those who voted to remain.

What nonsense.

I think you will find that there was plenty of doom and gloom warnings prior to the vote, yet these people YOU are categorizing still voted not to your liking! You need to accept and assist not knock and hinder, but then that is more wishful thinking on my part!

What nonsense.

He is correct - people on lower incomes (especially benefits) will suffer disproportionately as they are often on fixed incomes unlikely to enjoy returns from increased exports that the weaker pound will lead to: British exports will be cheaper - but we don't manufacture anything any more...

Just to shatter any last illusions you may have had about the pounds movement and Brexit

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-11/pound-climbs-0-8-against-dollar-halts-four-day-decline

Good news - that Parliament will vote on it as that will dilute any macho bargaining position nonsense. Apparently Liam Fox will lose his job by Christmas if he keeps posturing as he is now....

Just to shatter any last illusions you may have had about the pounds movement and Brexit

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-11/pound-climbs-0-8-against-dollar-halts-four-day-decline

No illusions as it appears to be fluctuating as I said it does, always has and always will, there will always be a short term driver with the brexit being the current driver, however the drivers still have navigators

He is correct - people on lower incomes (especially benefits) will suffer disproportionately as they are often on fixed incomes unlikely to enjoy returns from increased exports that the weaker pound will lead to: British exports will be cheaper - but we don't manufacture anything any more...

Never claimed he was wrong on that point. He intimated that it was those people that voted for brexit, I just pointed out that they had all the information, generally by scaremongering, on which to decide how to vote and vote they did.

Regarding your claim that UK do not manufacture anything then - Manufacturing makes up 11% of UK GVA and 54% of UK exports and directly employs 2.6 million people. Despite the decline since the 1970s, when manufacturing contributed 25% of UK GDP, the UK is currently the 11th largest manufacturing nation in the world.

[h=3]UK Manufacturing Statistics - The Manufacturer[/h]

Regarding your claim that UK do not manufacture anything then - Manufacturing makes up 11% of UK GVA and 54% of UK exports and directly employs 2.6 million people. Despite the decline since the 1970s, when manufacturing contributed 25% of UK GDP, the UK is currently the 11th largest manufacturing nation in the world.

UK Manufacturing Statistics - The Manufacturer

Yes, but that is manufacturing for other countries, like Japan, Germany etc. Rolls Royce is just about the only serious British engineering manufacturer now? Things we make here are assembled from overseas parts anyway: JCB diggers used to be made from 99% British-made parts not that long ago, now it is 36% British-made.

Yes, but that is manufacturing for other countries, like Japan, Germany etc. Rolls Royce is just about the only serious British engineering manufacturer now? Things we make here are assembled from overseas parts anyway: JCB diggers used to be made from 99% British-made parts not that long ago, now it is 36% British-made.

Yep! there is always a dark cloud to every silver lining!

And all I pointed out was that it could change the life of others whim are in the reverse of your situation. Not sure though how we can blame Brexit for the fluctuating pound? really it is just one of the many things that has an effect on it http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37620331 and from September http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/09/01/ftse-100-breaks-6800-and-pound-skids-ahead-of-uk-manufacturing-d/

Markets hate uncertainty and we have plenty of that in the UK right now.

you appear to think I am unsympathetic, but as we are already living in Australia and we are entirely dependent on our income from UK in pounds, then the drop in the exchange rate hits us hard right now, and not at some stage in the future.

So perhaps the outlook is grimmer for us, already living on reduced income until if or when the pound picks up.

No not at all. I usually associate your name with good sense and the quiet voice of reason! But I thought you had got the impression I was just having a whinge for no good reason and wanted to explain that I had been trying to argue a point rather than do a 'woe is me' we are in a not-too-bad position at the mo, since we have a small non-sterling income and some money already in Oz, but we are still wondering whether it would be better to delay the move (planned for this time next year if all goes well with the house sale) by six months. It's difficult to know, and I feel for those of you who are already in the grip of the falling pound ... Although I know it's only w matter of time before prices start to rise in the UK.

tricky tricky tricky and so very disappointing when everything seemed to be picking up at last after the recession of 2008/9.