Where is popular to retire in Australia?

Beaty

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The way the economy is going, get a place (house) that is cheap to buy, saving $$$$. Been retired for over 17 years and the economy is getting tougher to work on. My last year's salary was $37,000, which was above the average wage by $4000. Average wage today is $ $100,000

Port Macquarie is getting too exxy for most, as is Hervey Bay.

And remember, we are living longer, so make that $ go further.

Cheers, Bobj.

I agree, I don't think that list tells you where people retire to - it tells you places where the young folk are leaving and the oldies are all that's left!

Where you choose to retire depends what you want out of your retirement. But a lot of Sydney retirees move to small seaside towns, all the way along the East Coast from Narooma upwards into Queensland. Some of them end up having to move again because they find them too quiet, or realise that they're too far from essential services like hospitals, so the bigger centres like Port Macquarie are getting very popular because they've got the combination of seaside lifestyle with decent facilities. And that puts the price up of course!

Neither would work for me, because what I've learned is that I need MORE happening around me when I'm retired, not less - so it's the city for me.

Edited by Marisawright

Subclass 405, I think.

B

Has he seriously looked at the 405 investor retirement visa? We. Know quite a few here on this visa and all of them are giving up and leaving Australia even though they love it here, and been here for some time.

It's very expensive, has to be re-applied for every 4 years, at a cost of about $12,000 dollars. You need to re-apply according to our friends now at least 9 months before the end date, and go through the whole rigmarole every time, from health check, police check etc. etc. as it's taking so long to get approval.

Check the government web site to check out all the conditions, from lodging lots of money with state government plus annual income, no chance of PR either.

Sorry if this sounds negative, but people we know who are on this visa, thought they would be fine, but now find it unaffordable long term.

Answer to the original question, The Sunshine Coast every time.

Edited by ramot

Why wouldn't you retire where you already live ?

I can't imagine moving away from family and friends to some holiday area where I don't know anyone.

Answer to that would be to unlock the potential value in ones house as well as taking a sea/tree change. Who really wants to be part of the insanity, growing by the day, in Australia's two main city's, especially, with poor infrastructure, massive population growth, ever increasingly hectic, money grabbing which all point the way towards an increasingly challenging retirement.

Answer to that would be to unlock the potential value in ones house as well as taking a sea/tree change. Who really wants to be part of the insanity, growing by the day, in Australia's two main city's, especially, with poor infrastructure, massive population growth, ever increasingly hectic, money grabbing which all point the way towards an increasingly challenging retirement.

We retired to Tasmania. We thought about the south coast of NSW and looked at properties near Ulladulla and Tilba but in the end my love for Tasmania was the deciding factor. Also my husband not being in the best of health - we are close to good hospitals here. Housing is also still very affordable and I like the feel of community in our neighbourhood. Living near the ocean with easy access to lovely scenery is also a big plus. If I do feel the need for big city shopping etc, it's a flight away via Devonport airport but in the nearly 3 years we've been here I've not had the urge to be in a city. I cancelled my planned holiday to the UK - was supposed to be going this month but as my sister and SIL are planning to come here early next year I didn't see the point in travelling 12,000 miles to see them now.

Answer to that would be to unlock the potential value in ones house as well as taking a sea/tree change. Who really wants to be part of the insanity, growing by the day, in Australia's two main city's.

The unlocking of equity is an important factor and it was part of our original idea, but our recent adventures have made me realise that for me, the access to city life is more important even if it means compromising on housing. I do worry that it could mean life will be tougher in our old age with less available income, but who knows we might not last that long!

Edited by Marisawright

I agree, I don't think that list tells you where people retire to - it tells you places where the young folk are leaving and the oldies are all that's left!

Where you choose to retire depends what you want out of your retirement. But a lot of Sydney retirees move to small seaside towns, all the way along the East Coast from Narooma upwards into Queensland. Some of them end up having to move again because they find them too quiet, or realise that they're too far from essential services like hospitals, so the bigger centres like Port Macquarie are getting very popular because they've got the combination of seaside lifestyle with decent facilities. And that puts the price up of course!

Neither would work for me, because what I've learned is that I need MORE happening around me when I'm retired, not less - so it's the city for me.

I agree certainly at the moment. But doesn't it depends largely on the stage of requirement? A lot change I feel, as the ageing process accelerates. Still I feel stimulation would be a necessary ingredient in those years. Nothing worse I fear, than people in age getting together with little to communicate besides aches and groans.

The unlocking of equity is an important factor and it was part of our original idea, but our recent adventures have made me realise that for me, the access to city life is more important even if it means compromising on housing. I do worry that it could mean life will be tougher in our old age with less available income, but who knows we might not last that long!

That outlines the importance of making a valid choice, suitable to ones individual preferences. Indeed if we had only a crystal ball to gaze into the future. Then the thoughts of the one left behind. Darn hard to get right and easy to get wrong at great expense.