eu referendum update

bunbury61

Well Boris has decided not to stand as a candidate for Tory leadership:

Number of scenarios :-

Not enough money in it , he can make more writing for the Torygraph.

He didn't fancy the hard work

He didn't fancy losing some weight and having to buy a proper suit and tie

He knows that the negotiations for Brexit are going to go tits up

He doesn't want to explain how all the promises he made are a tissue of lies

He is not going to have any of those toads in the EU rubbing his nose in it when they force us t accept free movement in return for access to the EU market

He couldn't give a sh*t about all the people he conned into voting for Brexit

He's had a better job offer from Trump/Murdoch

He couldn't stand working with such an arriviste as Gove

His wife wouldn't let him anywhere near all those Conservative women drooling at the attraction of all that power in one man, especially after his last affair

Take your pick of any or maybe all, but he must rank as the Sh*t of the century.

You're missing the obvious. He wasn't a supporter of Brexit in the first place and only fronted the campaign to get himself some more publicity. Now it's a case of "oh **#* how did that happen" and doesn't know what to do about the mess.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the doom mongers:

I manage a quarry that produces products for concrete used in the construction sector in London.

All of our customers have been reviewing likely post Brexit scenario and speaking to their customers to get decisions on who things are going to go. The result of which have now filtered down to me for my scheduling.

I have been asked to supply an extra 35% of product for the next 12 months above our maximum - we are already running on maximum. So, from tomorrow, we will be running permanent overtime to meet demand and operating all day Saturdays. This it seems is on their forecasts of investment in new build for London increasing significantly.

Maybe as there are growing rumours that Brexit will fail and will eventually be voted down in the common. This may be the reason Markets have partially recovered.

Articles in the Financial Times and the Independent . The coup in the Labour party and maybe Boris having pulled out of the leadership contest and writing conciliatory articles in the Telegraph for remainers he may well do an about face and pronounce Brexit a bad idea. Contrary to your previous statement about going into full production the mid cap FTSE 250 a better barometer of the UK economy - is the worst-performing of 40 global asset classes rated by UBS since the referendum vote. What are the locations of most of your projects are they mainly based in London? I also note that overseas banks such as Singapore are now refusing investors from Asia funding for purchases in London and the UK.

You have to remember that despite the FTSE 100 recovering to the same level as just before the vote. This means it is still over 10% down as sterling is that much weaker and mainly overseas buyers are picking up companies that are global rather than just reliant on UK markets. The Governor of the Bank of England has warned that the economic out look has certainly got worse.

Maybe as there are growing rumours that Brexit will fail and will eventually be voted down in the common. This may be the reason Markets have partially recovered.

Articles in the Financial Times and the Independent . The coup in the Labour party and maybe Boris having pulled out of the leadership contest and writing conciliatory articles in the Telegraph for remainers he may well do an about face and pronounce Brexit a bad idea. Contrary to your previous statement about going into full production the mid cap FTSE 250 a better barometer of the UK economy - is the worst-performing of 40 global asset classes rated by UBS since the referendum vote. What are the locations of most of your projects are they mainly based in London? I also note that overseas banks such as Singapore are now refusing investors from Asia funding for purchases in London and the UK.

You have to remember that despite the FTSE 100 recovering to the same level as just before the vote. This means it is still over 10% down as sterling is that much weaker and mainly overseas buyers are picking up companies that are global rather than just reliant on UK markets. The Governor of the Bank of England has warned that the economic out look has certainly got worse.

On Tuesday, I met with several of the MD's of the largest construction companies in London - all of our product goes to London as we are one of very few quarries that are very close.

Between the guys I met with, they undertake about 60% of the major construction projects in London. They all, interestingly, voted Brexit. All are very optimistic about the future, they all expect a few months of uncertainty with investment and projects, but then that things will not only go back to normal, but to increase significantly. Their view is that investors are knee jerking at the moment due to lack of certainty, but, that London in particular is still a very strong investment. These are not silly little business men, they are some of the most clued up and savvy people I have ever worked with and I have held roles previously reporting to board level of some of the largest companies in Australia, so met a few bright people.

I think the media are just not giving space to those who have a positive outlook and who can see the great business opportunities that leaving the EU could present. The ranting and raving is much more newsworthy obviously. I, too, heard and read much more positive views from the business community prior to voting and it is very inspiring when you do listen to what they have to say.

I know there is rumour that Article 50 may not be invoked. I can't see how this will happen unless the EU will agree to some preliminary discussions. However, in true dictatorial and uncompromising style ( the reason many voted to leave), they are determined to prevent this. Mr Juncker et al still haven't realised that they are ultimately responsible for the British outcome and the unrest that was already evident within other countries.

What hasn't been mentioned by the doom and gloomers is that 58% of Tory voters, traditionally the "party of business", as opposed to Labour's 37% voted out. They must all be as ignorant, racist, and stupid as the great unwashed eh?

The Posh Boys were supposed to be the best and brightest in Britain, and look at the mess they have created. It's not about economics or business at the moment. It's about law. i.e. EU law. True, the train has not left the station. But there seems very little chance of stopping it. When it does, the process cannot be stopped. Those who voted Brexit are just dumb.

For the doom mongers:

I manage a quarry that produces products for concrete used in the construction sector in London.

All of our customers have been reviewing likely post Brexit scenario and speaking to their customers to get decisions on who things are going to go. The result of which have now filtered down to me for my scheduling.

I have been asked to supply an extra 35% of product for the next 12 months above our maximum - we are already running on maximum. So, from tomorrow, we will be running permanent overtime to meet demand and operating all day Saturdays. This it seems is on their forecasts of investment in new build for London increasing significantly.

You might need to import some new labour. Oh doh!

What hasn't been mentioned by the doom and gloomers is that 58% of Tory voters, traditionally the "party of business", as opposed to Labour's 37% voted out. They must all be as ignorant, racist, and stupid as the great unwashed eh?

Why do you assume Tory voters are wealthy and well educated? The wealthy and well educated often vote lib dem. Or at least they used to. They're a bit lost at the moment.

There will very likely be a political realignment after this earthquake. Possibly a major one. Labor lost Scotland at the last elections. Lib Dems decimated. Who will the working class voters who supported Brexit turn to when they eventually realise that they will be worse off now? UKIP probably. Have to blame someone. Tabloid press runs on fear and envy.

Why do you assume Tory voters are wealthy and well educated? The wealthy and well educated often vote lib dem. Or at least they used to. They're a bit lost at the moment.

I didn't say either. I said that the Tory party is generally considered to be the party that best represents the interests of business. If that is the case, then it could be construed that the opinion of 58% of Tories is that out best represents business interest

The Posh Boys were supposed to be the best and brightest in Britain, and look at the mess they have created. It's not about economics or business at the moment. It's about law. i.e. EU law. True, the train has not left the station. But there seems very little chance of stopping it. When it does, the process cannot be stopped. Those who voted Brexit are just dumb.

Should all 12,698,977 bow to your superior intellect? That's a helluva a lot of dumbos!

There will very likely be a political realignment after this earthquake. Possibly a major one. Labor lost Scotland at the last elections. Lib Dems decimated. Who will the working class voters who supported Brexit turn to when they eventually realise that they will be worse off now? UKIP probably. Have to blame someone. Tabloid press runs on fear and envy.

Why would they turn to UKIP if they are disillusioned considering that UKIP was so hell bent on out? :wacko:

That old excuse to shaft the locals and bring in slave labour from eastern Europe.

Well no - if you can predict your needs then you train. It takes a long time to train people though, and for them to gain experience. In the short term, or if the world behaves unpredictably, it may be necessary to import labour, or else wages will sky rocket. The problem arises, when people stop training people altogether, or don't train them with the correct skills. How do you stop this?

We are living in a rapidly changing world, and it's not always possible to get the staff with the skills you need. My company has no end of trouble getting skilled employees. We do have a training strategy - but that doesn't help us when we have to commission a project today.

That old excuse to shaft the locals and bring in slave labour from eastern Europe.

an Orchard owner in Kent along with farmers in Norfolk quoted as saying "We advertise locally for local staff but despite the number of unemployed in their areas only 10% of the candidates are local. Also the locals don't have the the work ethic and rarely last more than a few days".

Take for example Shepparton in Victoria which I drive through on occasions seems more vibrant since the refugees came to pick fruit that would have rotted on the trees till they came.

Also some of the big firms are out to maximise their profits so why would they employ apprentices as they would be liable for them if there was a recession. If you are so sure of an Upturn due to Brexit maybe They should put their money where there mouth is and Employ trainees and apprentices.

one example http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2014/01/11/nfu-says-shropshire-farmers-pick-eastern-europe-migrant

For the doom mongers:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/funds/second-property-fund-writes-off-130m-as-brexit-chill-spreads/

I retract. Misled. Partly by opportunists like Johnson. Partly by tabloid press. Murdoch and Dacre - use fear, resentment, envy to promote Brexit. Once it actually happens, use fear again. Look at Cornwall - votes to leave, then expects to continue to get EU subsidies. Oh dear !!!Millions of English and Welsh seemed to think they could have their cake and eat it. As if Britain somehow always deserves special treatment. I think it should be painfully obvious by now that the Europeans have had a gutful of that. There will of course be some winners. There always are. But they are going to be vastly outnumbered by the losers - with what consequences, when the awful reality finally dawns? Presuming of course Article 50 is invoked, and it is very hard to see how that process can be stopped.

Well no - if you can predict your needs then you train. It takes a long time to train people though, and for them to gain experience. In the short term, or if the world behaves unpredictably, it may be necessary to import labour, or else wages will sky rocket. The problem arises, when people stop training people altogether, or don't train them with the correct skills. How do you stop this?

We are living in a rapidly changing world, and it's not always possible to get the staff with the skills you need. My company has no end of trouble getting skilled employees. We do have a training strategy - but that doesn't help us when we have to commission a project today.

I'm a bricklaying contractor, good at what I do in Australia . Arrived in Suffolk in 2011. The best rate I could get was 10 quid a hour working for someone .Most of the blokes I worked with were Eastern European.Drove rates down as they were happy to do the job for that. Try living on that money. Wonder why this drives working class Brits mad. Every Bricky I know that has gone to England from Australia has the same story. Hopefully this might have a chance of changing now . If wages improve , locals might become interested and start training up

I retract. Misled. Partly by opportunists like Johnson. Partly by tabloid press. Murdoch and Dacre - use fear, resentment, envy to promote Brexit. Once it actually happens, use fear again. Look at Cornwall - votes to leave, then expects to continue to get EU subsidies. Oh dear !!!Millions of English and Welsh seemed to think they could have their cake and eat it. As if Britain somehow always deserves special treatment. I think it should be painfully obvious by now that the Europeans have had a gutful of that. There will of course be some winners. There always are. But they are going to be vastly outnumbered by the losers - with what consequences, when the awful reality finally dawns? Presuming of course Article 50 is invoked, and it is very hard to see how that process can be stopped.

Totally agree.

Parliament must have a duty of care to the British people when they see the disaster this will be they should vote in the interests British people. You would expect if we faced a military attack we wouldn't need a referendum to counter it.

Archived