Simple question.... Is living in Oz better?

Veronica41

It doesn't appear to be that simple as I don't think anyone has managed to answer it yet. It is hard to sum up every aspect of your life into a straightforward "better or worse". And indifferent is not the third option. I cannot pick which is better but I am certainly not indifferent!

So really no need to put your two bobs worth in then eh

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had loads of great answer and despite plenty attempts to try and belittle my question it was simply just a question of individual opinions.

We are in the process of moving to Aus and since being a part of this forum I have had lots of peoples help, opinions, advice etc and yes they are all different and everyone has tried to give you their answer to your question, you just don't seem to like it unless you get war and peace off people and I've read all the pages and so far do not think anyone has tried to belittle your question. You are coming across as someone who was bored decided to join a forum and then become all high and mighty with your replies which is exactl what you asked people NOT to do in your question. Maybe accept everyones opinions/comments or don't ask any questions at all.

Sorry if you don't like this reply but I have loved every part of being on this forum since joining and have received/learned very insightful facts/knowledge and help off the members and have been grateful for all of it, whether it be sarcastic or not it all had relevance.

We are in the process of moving to Aus and since being a part of this forum I have had lots of peoples help, opinions, advice etc and yes they are all different and everyone has tried to give you their answer to your question, you just don't seem to like it unless you get war and peace off people and I've read all the pages and so far do not think anyone has tried to belittle your question. You are coming across as someone who was bored decided to join a forum and then become all high and mighty with your replies which is exactl what you asked people NOT to do in your question. Maybe accept everyones opinions/comments or don't ask any questions at all.

Sorry if you don't like this reply but I have loved every part of being on this forum since joining and have received/learned very insightful facts/knowledge and help off the members and have been grateful for all of it, whether it be sarcastic or not it all had relevance.

I whole heartedly accept everyone's opinion when they were actually answering the question. Yeah I did find some of the response just a dig and not helpful at all.

It was not ment to be a drama just a yeah it's better for me because..... Or no I prefer the uk because...... Or a its not better just different. I'm not looking for love and war answers. Just personal options on it.

Im glad you have found so much help and I have also.

its seriously no big deal, just a question.

I disagree, is Australia better for you seems simple enough.

The answers have been helpful when relating to that particular person. I'm not asking for every detail just a general yes no or indifferent.

But that wasn't your question - you modified it afterwards but as it stands the question is meaningless - "better" requires a comparator. So, "better for you" would be an improvement or "better than UK" or "better than you expected" whatever focus it is that you want to elicit . I guess we've just seen so many vague questions on this forum we do treat them with a bit of stick - get used to it, it's the Aussie sense of humour.

I whole heartedly accept everyone's opinion when they were actually answering the question. ...

It was not ment to be a drama just a yeah it's better for me because..... Or no I prefer the uk because...... Or a its not better just different. .

To be fair, the question you asked - and it's still the title of the thread - was "Simple question.... Is living in Oz better?"

It doesn't say "...better for you?" so you can't blame people for answering the question.

Absolutely smashed. Wandered into Bristol to meet a mate for lunch and a bit of business. A few ciders at the Cornubia turned into a few apple pies on the Apple, which turned into a bottle of Malbec at Hotel du Vin, which turned into nibbles and Grappa at Piccolino, which culminated in me wandering back to the Apple and having some cider. I can't honestly tell you what I had there. I am surprised I'm still capable of typing!

So really no need to put your two bobs worth in then eh

What do you mean? Didn't you ask people to put their two bobs worth in.

I am baffled as to where you are coming from. I have spent some time on careful thought to your questions.

I now suspect you just wanted people to say "Australia is better" and are getting a little bit ratty that is has not been so.

Edited by Bungo

I put this down to a legacy of bleeding heart, politically correct liberalism in the UK. It has caused people to become hugely upset when there's absolutely no reason to be.

Or, as I like to phrase it, everybody's a victim...

ETA - If you think I'm only writing this because I'm pissed, I'm afraid you're wrong.

Edited further: But please don't think that you're wrong, if it would upset you. I can do without the ear ache. We wouldn't want to hurt your precious sensibilities.

Edited by CiderDrinkingCoder

But that wasn't your question - you modified it afterwards but as it stands the question is meaningless - "better" requires a comparator. So, "better for you" would be an improvement or "better than UK" or "better than you expected" whatever focus it is that you want to elicit . I guess we've just seen so many vague questions on this forum we do treat them with a bit of stick - get used to it, it's the Aussie sense of humour.

I didn't modify it afterwards, the question reads I know many people move but is it better?

I also said many times its people's personal views also that I am happy where I am.

I am also happy with answers that related to the question.

Thanks for your input.

For us Australia is better to live in.

As a nurse and teacher, our hours are less, our ratios of students/patients are less, our pay is better, our red tape is less.

Holidays and sick days are pretty much the same.

We have a starter type home here, 3 bed, granny flat, veggie garden, grass, deck, 774 square metre block. The same step on the ladder home in the uk would be a two bed end of terrace, strip of garden down to the little shed, 200 square metres or so. The caravan would probably fill the back yard, if i could get it in there.

I know which i and the kids prefer. The oh would enjoy cleaning a smaller space i guess.

There are more sunny days in melbourne, as well as less rain than west yorkshire, plus when we go away camping its nice not to have it rain every single time the tent goes up. Weve spent about forty nights in the van since last september, i can only remember rain on about three of those.

Once you leave melbourne, the roads all move at the speed limit. We used to dread the 150 odd mile drive from northampton to huddersfield on a friday night, anything between 3 and 5 hours. And i hate paying for parking. I found as we were driving to adelaide that horsham has parking meters in the main street. Not happy, we parked in woollies.

We live a ten minute drive from a beach on each side of the peninsula. Stretch it to a 30 minute drive and we can pick from about twenty. Somerville has a village feel, i play tennis here, i shop here, kids go to school here, i coach the auskick with my kids here. I never felt that connected to either northampton or Dewsbury. Maybe due to a lack of children. I still played tennis in each, but ive never had to sweep snow off a court or played in zero degrees in melbourne either..........

I am envious of only two things about the uk.

1- Real ale. Im hanging out for a draught old peculiar.

2- The price of second hand cars. Someone on here was advertising a 2007 jag diesel estate for £1750. I wanted it, a lot.

For us Australia is better to live in.

As a nurse and teacher, our hours are less, our ratios of students/patients are less, our pay is better, our red tape is less.

Holidays and sick days are pretty much the same.

We have a starter type home here, 3 bed, granny flat, veggie garden, grass, deck, 774 square metre block. The same step on the ladder home in the uk would be a two bed end of terrace, strip of garden down to the little shed, 200 square metres or so. The caravan would probably fill the back yard, if i could get it in there.

I know which i and the kids prefer. The oh would enjoy cleaning a smaller space i guess.

There are more sunny days in melbourne, as well as less rain than west yorkshire, plus when we go away camping its nice not to have it rain every single time the tent goes up. Weve spent about forty nights in the van since last september, i can only remember rain on about three of those.

Once you leave melbourne, the roads all move at the speed limit. We used to dread the 150 odd mile drive from northampton to huddersfield on a friday night, anything between 3 and 5 hours. And i hate paying for parking. I found as we were driving to adelaide that horsham has parking meters in the main street. Not happy, we parked in woollies.

We live a ten minute drive from a beach on each side of the peninsula. Stretch it to a 30 minute drive and we can pick from about twenty. Somerville has a village feel, i play tennis here, i shop here, kids go to school here, i coach the auskick with my kids here. I never felt that connected to either northampton or Dewsbury. Maybe due to a lack of children. I still played tennis in each, but ive never had to sweep snow off a court or played in zero degrees in melbourne either..........

I am envious of only two things about the uk.

1- Real ale. Im hanging out for a draught old peculiar.

2- The price of second hand cars. Someone on here was advertising a 2007 jag diesel estate for £1750. I wanted it, a lot.

Thank you so much, I loved reading that and your own personal experience! You have genuinely made my day, not because Oz is better but the fact you just answer the question asked.

The U.K. Is better for our young adults.

I'm sick of hearing folk saying how good Australia has been for them....probably (almost certainly) got good jobs and their own house.

Think of your children! Will they be able to achieve good jobs close to affordable housing. Most of us aspire to owning our own home and I see the youngsters (late 20's) still achieving that here in th uk.

The U.K. Is better for our young adults.

I'm sick of hearing folk saying how good Australia has been for them....probably (almost certainly) got good jobs and their own house.

Think of your children! Will they be able to achieve good jobs close to affordable housing. Most of us aspire to owning our own home and I see the youngsters (late 20's) still achieving that here in th uk.

Only thanks to the bank of mum & dad!

Youngsters find it nearly impossible to get on the housing ladder in the UK. Unless their parents are wealthy enough to stump up the deposit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-3570799/Bank-Mum-Dad-helps-prop-QUARTER-home-purchases.html

Edited by Bound4Tassie