Simple question.... Is living in Oz better?

Veronica41

I left it at Sydney simply because it defaulted to there when I filled the form in and couldn't be bothered changing it after it had searched. I am sure Bali would be cheaper and I have never been, but my wife did and described it as Benidorm in Asia but with more drunks.

Bali can be whatever you want it to be...

Can fly Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Vietnam, Bangkok all very cheap as Tiger, Air Asia, Jetstar all go there, if getting somewhere as cheaply as possible is the key.

Not sure why you needed to try and make this up. I'm sure most would agree there are more quick destinations on the UKs doorstep compared to oz. Though most people wouldn't go on more than 1-2 holidays a year. My record was 6 but was a bit over weekenders in Europe after that.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I left it at Sydney simply because it defaulted to there when I filled the form in and couldn't be bothered changing it after it had searched. I am sure Bali would be cheaper and I have never been, but my wife did and described it as Benidorm in Asia but with more drunks.

Bali is 5,800 square kilometres in size. There are some horrid resort areas where bogans/chavs prefer to go but there are also some beautiful areas where there are none to be seen. Bit like Spain or Greece. Some chav ridden areas and some beautiful areas.

Genuine question – isn’t it difficult to work out what is cheaper/ more expensive when much depends on exchange rates, rates of salary for similar work and other such factors? For example if two newly qualified teacher’s, one working in Aus the other in the UK, decide to meet up in Asia and the holiday works out at 20% of teacher A’s monthly salary, and 25% of teacher B’s, it is irrelevant who actually paid the most in cash terms. Teacher A has the cheaper deal….I think, but my head hurts now :confused: and hopefully some one much better qualified will explain how it really works. T x

Yes, spot on.

• Like 1

We did almost all of our Asian holidays from the UK before we moved to Oz and found it was no more expensive than doing it from Oz - if anything cheaper. We will also be doing a lot of Europe trips now back in the UK. There are people I work with that head off for weekends in Europe every few weeks.

You sound just like Bristolman lol

Thanks love :)

Its spending 29 years being used to one way of life then changing to the aussie way of life.....its so redneck and laid back. At least darwin is anyways!

People defy have to give it a proper long go before judging. Good now I FINALLY got myself a job too!

Anyways, life/home is where you make it :)

Glad to hear things are becoming bearable, at least, Huntersmummy. I hope things continue to get better!

Thanks love :)

Its spending 29 years being used to one way of life then changing to the aussie way of life.....its so redneck and laid back. At least darwin is anyways!

People defy have to give it a proper long go before judging. Good now I FINALLY got myself a job too!

Anyways, life/home is where you make it :)

Glad to hear it too! You are absolutely right, the culture shock can be huge and I'm sure more so in NT than Sydney/Melbourne etc. - more to gain though, it really is a different way of life - lets hope it turns out to be different in a positive way for you.

Otherwise Scotland isn't going anywhere (except maybe out of the UK!).

Yes, it's definitely Darwin. Every Australian city has its own character, but Darwin is unique and nothing like any of the others! I don't think I could hack it myself - I think I told you, my friend Georgie moved up there this year and was in FLOODS of tears for ages. She's such a sweetie, I knew she'd find friends sooner than later, this is her and she seems much happier now:

Edited by calNgary
removed facebook link as per rules

For us it hasn't been. its expensive (housing, food etc).Car Rego and insurance is a joke cost wise. Lack of culture. Bogans. Could go on and on.

We were better off financially in the UK even though Hubby earns good money here. Australians are friendly but often don't want to be your friend and many we have met have had a bad attitude.

It depends what you are leaving behind really as to whether you like it here. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I don't think we appreciated what we DID have in the UK...until we got to OZ. But moving back isn't always easy/ possible. Having said that....if we had never come here...we would always have the Australian dream in our minds that so many are conned by....and always wondered what if....

For us it hasn't been. its expensive (housing, food etc).Car Rego and insurance is a joke cost wise. Lack of culture. Bogans. Could go on and on.

We were better off financially in the UK even though Hubby earns good money here. Australians are friendly but often don't want to be your friend and many we have met have had a bad attitude.

It depends what you are leaving behind really as to whether you like it here. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I don't think we appreciated what we DID have in the UK...until we got to OZ. But moving back isn't always easy/ possible. Having said that....if we had never come here...we would always have the Australian dream in our minds that so many are conned by....and always wondered what if....

Why are people conned?? If you're moving to another country you surely do a lot of research? Different living in another country I know, but surely most people would never move to another country based on a brochure or watching a tv program!

Why are people conned?? If you're moving to another country you surely do a lot of research? Different living in another country I know, but surely most people would never move to another country based on a brochure or watching a tv program!

You would be surprised how many people don't do enough research. We also do regularly get people who think it will be just like on TV. Also, there are many that assume that because their occupation is on the skills lists, there is actual demand for them. Nothing could be further from the truth

In fairness though, it is hard to actually research a lot even in todays internet age. There are many things that need to be experienced to really understand. For example, people go on holiday and think the heat is wonderful and therefore think living in it would be wonderful. for some it is. For others it is horrid.

If you want a better life, then improve your life.

If you want a different life, then move to another country.

I did like your comment. I will add one twist to it though as I thought about it a bit more. What would you say to a person who believes a "different life" might lead to a "better life"?

I did like your comment. I will add one twist to it though as I thought about it a bit more. What would you say to a person who believes a "different life" might lead to a "better life"?

People tend to take their problems with them, but sometimes moving can give you a new perspective. It's often the journey rather than the destination that achieves this though. Was with me anyway.

No I totally agree with you....most people wouldn't. And we didn't. Most who move have done lots of research, as did we. But some things can't be "googled"!! e.g.. why are most Australians have a bad attitude and teach you to suck eggs at any opportunity !!" ....you can't find answers to everything....no matter how long you google!! Life experience offers much more insight.

No I totally agree with you....most people wouldn't. And we didn't. Most who move have done lots of research, as did we. But some things can't be "googled"!! e.g.. why are most Australians have a bad attitude and teach you to suck eggs at any opportunity !!" ....you can't find answers to everything....no matter how long you google!! Life experience offers much more insight.

Of course the only way to really find out what life is like in another country is to actually live there.

Sorry you find most Australians have a bad attitude. Got to say I avoid the ones who annoy me - reached the time in my life when I don't need hassle. Been lucky though. Made lovely friends and now that I'm not working I don't have to put up with irritating co-workers. Peace and quiet in my life from now on.