Simple question.... Is living in Oz better?

Veronica41

What have you been smoking?

If you've never been then there's so much much you've missed. Dramatic moorland landscapes, fine ales and Baywatch lookalikes, it's all there. One of my favourite parts of God's County. :smile:

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[/b]

If you've never been then there's so much much you've missed. Dramatic moorland landscapes, fine ales and Baywatch lookalikes, it's all there. One of my favourite parts of God's County. :smile:

i lived in the uks second utopia (behind stratford of course) for four years.

if youve never experienced a pint at ossett brewery, you havent lived.

And the covered market is a blue rinse paradise.

Mind you the old bird behind the till of the fruit and veg stall had the best mental arithmetic skills ive ever seen.

That is a dumb comment. People living in Australia are just as concerned about their children as people living in the UK.

Oh, and we moved from a pokey 1930s semi-detached in England last year to a beautiful spacious detached home in Australia with $200,000 change on the transaction so you really cannot generalise on the cost of housing. If we had opted for the nearest equivalent properties over here then we would have had $500,000 change.

Im just saying what I see. All my nieces and nephews have property here (north west) close to plenty of employment and none of them do in Australia - simple.

Edited by janlo

What if your landlord is negative gearing? Like many in oz?

Is it where you purposely rent to make a loss? Not sure they have that in the UK. I only ever heard of it when I was in oz.

i think it's called repossession here.

Edited by janlo

Im just saying what I see. All my nieces and nephews have property here (north west) close to plenty of employment and none of them do in Australia - simple.

My sons bought - in their 20's (with a mortgage of course) a small flat each in Sydney's inner west. They have had part-time jobs since they were 14 years old and full-time jobs since leaving uni. Many of their friends have done the same. Eldest son is living and working in Ireland for the time being and has rented out his flat.

My sons bought - in their 20's (with a mortgage of course) a small flat each in Sydney's inner west. They have had part-time jobs since they were 14 years old and full-time jobs since leaving uni. Many of their friends have done the same. Eldest son is living and working in Ireland for the time being and has rented out his flat.

How old are your sons and could they do the same now? I know a 1 bedroom apartment in the inner west is now $600,000+. You need to be making close to $150,000/yr to afford this. Which rules out most people in their 20s.

I'm assuming house prices are very high in Australia?

It varies, from comments on here Sydney sounds extortionate, probably like London.. In most States you seem to find if you go 20 , 30, 40 kms from the city prices are loads cheaper and drop the further you go. Realestate.com will tell you what houses sell and rent for , you just click on the State your interested in and type in the suburb name.

Cal x

It varies, from comments on here Sydney sounds extortionate, probably like London.. In most States you seem to find if you go 20 , 30, 40 kms from the city prices are loads cheaper and drop the further you go. Realestate.com will tell you what houses sell and rent for , you just click on the State your interested in and type in the suburb name.

Cal x

But then there's no jobs.

But then there's no jobs.

Of course there is, not everyone works in the city you know. Most tradies actually find work out of the city and we have shops, supermarkets even petrol stations and Doctors, all of which employ people. Most industrial estates are also built out of the city centre. If you can't find work on your doorstep. which lots can't, then you can commute to work.

Cal x

I've missed your posts @WeegieDave, but I thought you were quite happily settled in Perth. Is this a blip, or something that might impact on future plans? I hope things work out as you would wish. T x

I am am happy in Perth. Just don't feel it offers me any more happiness than scotland did. I think the pull of family and friends is always there!

I'm assuming house prices are very high in Australia?

House prices in Sydney are horrendous. It's one of the reasons we decided to come to the UK - we were in a position where we realised we'd never be able to afford to retire in Sydney, unless it was in a pokey bedsit! When we return to Australia, we won't be returning to Sydney for that reason.

Prices elsewhere around Australia vary a LOT. Sydney is most expensive, Canberra and Melbourne fight it out for second place, Perth is third, and Brisbane, Adelaide and Hobart are the least expensive.

Another problem is that Australian capital cities are really sprawling - so you can move to the outer suburbs to find cheaper property, but then you realise you're two hours' drive from the beach and all the amenities of the city so it's hardly worth being in Oz at all!

Prices out in the country can be very cheap indeed, but you can pretty much guarantee that if a town has cheap prices, it also has very few jobs. Country towns are usually too far from the big cities to commute, too. If you are in the lucky position of working from home they can be a good solution.

Edited by Marisawright

Yeah I see that point, if you need to stay that far away from everything to afford a good sizes house and we have three kids so would need to a decent size then there's little point. I am thinking I could be two mins from the beach, work and schools and have a big house with a pool! If I had all that then it would be better than here. Living far out from all these things and long commute for my husband makes me think work / life balance would not be better.

This is why I simple asked the question is it better, as I know millions do it and it works for so many. I was genuinely just interested in people options.

Thanks