Am I crazy!

Bundaberg

Quitting a good job and secure income to go to Australia and arriving with no job! My family think I've lost it!!

It's been a dream to go for years, but now it's becoming a reality its getting scary.

What have peoples experiences of getting/finding work in Australia been? how long did it take? Afraid it could take months and end up going home with my tail between my legs.

First of all....will you qualify for a visa to work in Australia? How far down the "application track" are you?

Secondly...have you been to Australia as a tourist/visitor...or is it completely unknown to you?

What type of work would you be seeking and which areas of Oz are you interested in?

Most have to make the move with no job. Not many secure work before they land. Of course, those on temp visas sponsored by a company will but for most with PR, its a leap into the unknown.

Have decent savings, be prepared to do a lot of leg work to get your face known to agencies etc and Aussie up your CV people seem to keep saying. And be prepared for not finding work in your chosen area to live and have a plan in place to go elsewhere if the work options are better. No point staying in a city if you can't get a job. Be open minded about moving interstate (if possible on your visa) or elsewhere in the state to help you get a foot in the door.

I have my visa, so no worries there. I've been to Australia before backpacking, but it was a long time ago now.

It's the thought of not having a job going over and finding one.

If your visa was granted in 2013 I assume that you have validated it. Where are you headed and what line of work? Some on here may be able to give specific pointers for you on your prospects.

Your post sounds like your on your own with no family in tow, so just jump and give it your best shot. The members who have recently moved here and posted an update all seem to be finding work so if your willing and flexible you should find something.

Cal x

Most people do the same - it's the lucky few who have work lined up ahead of arrival. As long as you've got a buffer of cash, and a good head on your shoulders, I'm sure you'll be fine!

What line of work are you in - have you started putting out feelers yet?

Quitting a good job and secure income to go to Australia and arriving with no job! My family think I've lost it!!

It's been a dream to go for years, but now it's becoming a reality its getting scary.

What have peoples experiences of getting/finding work in Australia been? how long did it take? Afraid it could take months and end up going home with my tail between my legs.

If single then enjoy. With dependants, doesn't mean you can't do it, but be careful.

Never quit a job unless you can't help it - take a career break, rent out a house if you own one, belt and braces are good. If you're single then you don't have quite so much to lose but if you were doing it with a family then I would say, yes, a little bit bonkers. Treat it as an adventure then if it all goes pear shaped, move on.

As others have said - if you're single or a couple with no kids, what are you worried about? So long as you've got enough to get a basic roof over your head, you'll manage. There's always temp work or waiting at tables if you're desperate! And you can always come home if it doesn't work out. A job is just a job, you will get another one which may be even better.

With children in tow - different story altogether.

You are as crazy as us, but doing the right thing in giving it a go.

We have amazing jobs, bought a lovely home 2 years back in the countryside but after 10 years in the UK and no family around, we decided to pack our bags and move over. While Australia has always been a dream (almost planned my Masters in 2008) we have NEVER visited before deciding to move. It's a huge risk, but since we have travelled the world, lived in the Middle East and have my brother and 2 cousins with their families and babies, we just decided better now before we have little ones of our own...

You never get anything in life without taking some risk but that risk can be a joyride if you plan well enough. All you need to survive anywhere is something to eat, somewhere to sleep and someone to talk to : if you have these 3 sorted then dont think and just go for it, life has a way of dealing you a good hand if you know how to play!!!

KnK

I was just about to write a similar post. After years of working as a technician on a power station with decent pay and a good future I've decided to pack up and give it a go I've been before visiting in 2014, got the bug and I have my WHV and flights booked for January ! Worrying wether it's the worse career decision of my life or not but only time will tell so let's hope for the best ! I'll let you all know in two years wether it's the bread line back in UK or the good life in aus !

I was just about to write a similar post. After years of working as a technician on a power station with decent pay and a good future I've decided to pack up and give it a go I've been before visiting in 2014, got the bug and I have my WHV and flights booked for January ! Worrying wether it's the worse career decision of my life or not but only time will tell so let's hope for the best ! I'll let you all know in two years wether it's the bread line back in UK or the good life in aus !

You do realise that it is only a holiday and as such I would urge you to investigate if you can have a career break rather than resign. Many WHV people assume it will lead to a choice to stay permanently, but the reality is, it is not possible for the vast majority.

Having an adventure is great, my whole move to Australia and back (as a permanent resident) was a great life experience. The chances are you will have a great time in a great country too.

But I do not think it is a case of "breadline in UK or good life in Aus". On a WHV you will probably be in lower paid, temporary or casual jobs and you will pay tax on every dollar at 32.5%. So it might not be the escape from the breadline you expect. Although why you think you are on the breadline now is a puzzle as sounds like you have a good career and prospects. And of course, you might have to leave anyway, most WHV holders do.

Well @LuckyJ - it certainly won't be the good life in Aus, because at the end of the two years you'll have to come back to the UK. Staying in Australia after your WHV expires would be illegal. If you're interested in emigrating permanently, then do some research on whether you've got the right qualifications and experience to get a permanent visa - if you do, then you might stand a chance of finding a sponsor while you're over there. If not, you're coming home. Best to know what your options are before you go.

Could you not get a career break? Chucking in a good job for a holiday doesn't sound like a wise move to me

• 2 weeks later...

Yep fully aware of the conditions of the visa.

i work as an instrumentation technician on a power station with a few different certs so going over on WHV for a taster with GF see how we like it see what career opportunities there would be for the future and hopefully in the long term manage to gain job sponsorship

Having an adventure is great, my whole move to Australia and back (as a permanent resident) was a great life experience. The chances are you will have a great time in a great country too.

But I do not think it is a case of "breadline in UK or good life in Aus". On a WHV you will probably be in lower paid, temporary or casual jobs and you will pay tax on every dollar at 32.5%. So it might not be the escape from the breadline you expect. Although why you think you are on the breadline now is a puzzle as sounds like you have a good career and prospects. And of course, you might have to leave anyway, most WHV holders do.

I was just meaning breadline after two years of travelling returning home and trying to find a job without working in my line of work for so long. Maybe my post was a bit misleading I do understand what a WHV is but my main aim is to stay one day not necessarily straight after the WHV but thank you for your responses :)

I saw take the leap as long as you're in a place financially that it won't put in a bad spot. If it's something you'll always wonder about if you don't do it, you probably should.

Archived