Cost of food and services sky rocketing here

starlight7

Has anyone else noticed a rise in food prices since Christmas? Even in Aldi. My daughter's friend has just returned from living overseas and she is horrified by the high costs of food here since she left a year or so ago. Also extends to tradespeople- everything starts at a $1,000 before they get out of their vehicles!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anyone else noticed a rise in food prices since Christmas? Even in Aldi. My daughter's friend has just returned from living overseas and she is horrified by the high costs of food here since she left a year or so ago. Also extends to tradespeople- everything starts at a $1,000 before they get out of their vehicles!

I don't think they've increased dramatically recently. Maybe she thinks they have as she has been living overseas - and in most countries groceries are cheaper than in Australia. She's just forgotten about how expensive things here actually are!

Cheese has gone up round here ( half as much again as pre Christmas)and also meat, those are the two things I have noticed. Also fruit and veg are usually cheaper at this time of year but not so now. As for fish- $42 per kilo for pretty ordinary white fish.Maybe the area I live has decided to go "upmarket??"

More likely being overseas underlined the rip off prevalent in Australia. I can't say prices have increased dramatically over the tear time frame mentioned though. The rot has gone on far longer. A trip a year and a bit ago showed clearly the ridiculous prices charged in Perth compared to Rome.

I won't go down the road of tradesmen. Enough to entice me to support 457's in huge numbers. (almost)

Yes, I'm a keen and frugal shopper and meat has risen as forecast, due to drought mainly and farmers having to sell their stock overseas before it starved. Flood the market here with it and prices would lower to their detriment.

Even what used to be a cheap cut such as belly pork and lamb (barbecue) shoulder chops have risen ludicrously. Both coles and woolies regularly have belly pork priced at between $16 and $18 a kilo whereas two years ago it was around the $10 mark. Barbecue lamb chops were around the 7-8 dollar mark and are now around the $12 mark. I can't say that they've risen since Xmas but they have certainly gone bananas the last 12months.

Last Xmas you could buy a Ham for $4.99 a kilo but this Xmas the cheapest I found was $6.50 and that was Coles for one week. The rest of the time it was $7 for "bottom of the range" Even my local butcher who beats the supermarkets on everything else couldn't beat that price. You do the maths on an increase in 1 yr from $4.99 to $7 and IMHO that increase is indicative across the board on most meats and in many cases, even more.

That said, I haven't noticed any "eye watering" increase in general groceries

As I said, I shop wisely. Todays bargains for the freezer (all cryvaced and with todays "best by") consisted of 4 butterflied legs of lamb, 2 whole lamb shoulders, a rolled leg of pork and a slab of belly pork, all at Coles at 80% off. I would never buy a full priced piece of meat off coles or woolies. All a safe bet being cryvaced. I also got 6 salmon fillets at 80% off which we had for tea. Along with some bread, and two bottles of milk. The whole lot came in at $98

Yes, I'm a keen and frugal shopper and meat has risen as forecast, due to drought mainly and farmers having to sell their stock overseas before it starved. Flood the market here with it and prices would lower to their detriment.

Even what used to be a cheap cut such as belly pork and lamb (barbecue) shoulder chops have risen ludicrously. Both coles and woolies regularly have belly pork priced at between $16 and $18 a kilo whereas two years ago it was around the $10 mark. Barbecue lamb chops were around the 7-8 dollar mark and are now around the $12 mark. I can't say that they've risen since Xmas but they have certainly gone bananas the last 12months.

Last Xmas you could buy a Ham for $4.99 a kilo but this Xmas the cheapest I found was $6.50 and that was Coles for one week. The rest of the time it was $7 for "bottom of the range" Even my local butcher who beats the supermarkets on everything else couldn't beat that price. You do the maths on an increase in 1 yr from $4.99 to $7 and IMHO that increase is indicative across the board on most meats and in many cases, even more.

That said, I haven't noticed any "eye watering" increase in general groceries

As I said, I shop wisely. Todays bargains for the freezer (all cryvaced and with todays "best by") consisted of 4 butterflied legs of lamb, 2 whole lamb shoulders, a rolled leg of pork and a slab of belly pork, all at Coles at 80% off. I would never buy a full priced piece of meat off coles or woolies. All a safe bet being cryvaced. I also got 6 salmon fillets at 80% off which we had for tea. Along with some bread, and two bottles of milk. The whole lot came in at $98

I don't eat meat so have no idea of price rises. OH does and he did whinge a bit at the cost of a few lamb cutlets recently. We buy fish straight off the boat and cost hasn't risen there. As far as supermarket shopping goes, I stock up on detergents, loo rolls etc when they are on special. Fruit and veggies we buy at the farm or the farmers market - same with eggs, jams and preserves. Cakes and biscuits I make myself.

Prices have risen a great deal in Canada in the last year or 2. It's been impacted by our dollar which is declined quite dramatically and the fact that we import a significant quantities of good due to our climate not being favourable to year round agriculture.

The Aussie dollar was and is similar in value to the Canadian dollar, so I would have expected food prices to have increased there too. However since you produce more fresh goods domestically, I thought it wouldn't be as big of an impact. Looks like maybe it was.

Don't forget your local farmers markets. I often go to the one at Eagle Farm racecourse and in the last 30 mins before close everywhere drastically cuts their fruit and veg prices.

Supermarkets have been putting prices up substantially after new year for past few years. That's what I have noticed anyway.

Think the logic is they know people coming back from holiday need to stock up and have been in holiday mode (including paying inflated resort prices)

So should calm down again in Feb

Trades have had a good time for past decade but they need to ensure they have made some decent hay.

Just remember the arrogant sentiment they have when the next 457 debate appears

Prices have risen a great deal in Canada in the last year or 2. It's been impacted by our dollar which is declined quite dramatically and the fact that we import a significant quantities of good due to our climate not being favourable to year round agriculture.

The Aussie dollar was and is similar in value to the Canadian dollar, so I would have expected food prices to have increased there too. However since you produce more fresh goods domestically, I thought it wouldn't be as big of an impact. Looks like maybe it was.

I agree, how can food prices inflate so dramatically in a country which is self sufficient in food production, I'm back in the UK where bananas and mangos are cheaper than in a country where they are grown.

It might be because of the lack of real competition between the 2 main players in the Aus food retail industry, and how can I buy Aus wine cheaper here than in the country it's made in.

And for goodness sake don't get me started on quality, cooked meats, sausage, cheese and beer, bland, lacking in taste and texture, designed to be completely inoffensive to taste buds destroyed by addiction to only one sensation, sweetness.

Alright that is a sweeping generalisation and it doesn't just apply to Aus, it's prevalent here too, but at least if I'm willing to pay just a little more I can get a variety of alternatives to the mainstream and some craft beers are now mainstream in the supermarkets.

Archived