My travel thread

Quokka2005

Haha well I'm giving it a go, I went to kings park and it was around 35. I was roasting though when I wasn't in the shade. Saw my first kookaburra! I think it's to be cloudy on Saturday so that might help. Wednesday sounds fine for me too, I will turn up lol. Is Dom coming too?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to know youre well Stacey. We are in Ubud, in the hills of Bali now just 3 and a bit hours away....enjoying the food, scenery and tropical serenity.. $250 return flights :wink: Homestays from $15 a night or get a 1 bed private villa for $40 on our premises .. hint hint....but we decided to push the budget and get a deluxe house with amazing views for $150...

20160115_153134.jpg

20160118_072031.jpg

20160115_153134.jpg

20160118_072031.jpg

Edited by gee13

Yes indeed and if you do make sure you get in touch.. Ive been travelling to this side of the world for some time and have all the right trusted contacts including personal drivers etc... you'll be looked after! You can have one bring you all around bali for less than $35 for a half day

Edited by gee13

I'm slowly starting to change my mind and might do my 2nd year work even if I don't stay 2 consecutive years. Just don't want to regret not doing it, a friend went back recently and said she regrets it. It might kill me off though, I'm not used to manual labour anymore haha

I'm slowly starting to change my mind and might do my 2nd year work......... I'm not used to manual labour anymore haha

There are changes to be made so that work in tourism and hospitality in northern Australia will qualify for a 2nd WHV.

But I'm not sure if the necessary legislative changes will be made in time for you. All the info is here:

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visi/Visi-1/work-holiday-visas-noth-aus

Subclass 462 visa holders who undertake three months (88 days) work during their stay in either the agriculture or tourism and hospitality industries within northern Australia, will become eligible to apply for a second Work and Holiday visa. For this purpose, northern Australia includes all of the Northern Territory, and those parts of Western Australia and Queensland above the Tropic of Capricorn

That's a different visa than mine, I think that's the ones Americans use. Mines is a 451 (I think!). I don't understand why they've changed it just for one group but maybe they will change it for others eventually. If I can find work in a packing shed then I'll do it but I don't know if I could be out in the fields

• 2 weeks later...

Jeeze do you lot hate me lol. We've booked to do Cape tribulation and we meet a aboriginal tribe there. I imagine it'll be very touristy but hopefully still be cool. I remember them talking about it at the ultimate oz thing in Sydney when they were trying to sell us tours and they said that the leader of the tribe was so good with the wildlife and those cassowary thingies didn't touch him. Wether that's true or not I dunno!

We're both doing the skydive over mission beach and he's already booked Fraser Island so I'll have to book the same tour now. i want to do that train ride in the rain forest too.

Im just really worried about the weather - I went to Tenerife once and it was shockingly humid and I felt really sick a lot of the time like Ben said. But I went to Singapore and it was manageable so I'm really not sure what it'll be like

Jeeze do you lot hate me lol. We've booked to do Cape tribulation and we meet a aboriginal tribe there. I imagine it'll be very touristy but hopefully still be cool. I remember them talking about it at the ultimate oz thing in Sydney when they were trying to sell us tours and they said that the leader of the tribe was so good with the wildlife and those cassowary thingies didn't touch him. Wether that's true or not I dunno!

We're both doing the skydive over mission beach and he's already booked Fraser Island so I'll have to book the same tour now. i want to do that train ride in the rain forest too.

Im just really worried about the weather - I went to Tenerife once and it was shockingly humid and I felt really sick a lot of the time like Ben said. But I went to Singapore and it was manageable so I'm really not sure what it'll be like

No doubt as approachable as some backpacker birds are after a few cruisers:wink:

It's worrying that jakes mentioning it because he's spent months telling me to stop being a wimp and that I should come to Darwin if I want to know what heat/humidity is. So I think he knows I'll really struggle and that's why he wants to leave ASAP. Although he'll have already been there a week before I get there too.

Im not sleeping in the van - it'll be too hot. Everybody's told me I'll be cooler in a tent outside so I'll give that a go. Hmmm

Yeah I just read a post from a friend on fb saying Brisbane is really humid today. I'll just have to see how I get on. It looks so beautiful so hopefully it'll be worth the suffering lol. I'm going to look a complete state all the time, my hairs bad enough in Perth but it'll go a complete sweaty Afro in Queensland. Eurgh haha