My travel thread

Quokka2005

Myself and my husband are hoping to go to Australia and especially The Great Barrier Reef when we retire in five years. Only for a holiday though. I have so much family all over Australia and would love to have visited them before now. I love following your adventures and really wished I had done something like that when I was younger and not committed to being a wife and mother. Lol looking forward to the rest of your travels. Sue x

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So today we left Townsville and drove down to airlie beach. We're staying here 3 nights. It's jakes birthday so we went out for dinner and a walk around. We're doing the Whitehaven and Hamilton Island tour tomorrow. Then the following day I've got a scenic flight over the islands and barrier reef. I'm skint but very excited!!

Expensive but fun! I'll try get some pics and updates up soon. Yeah I'll have to work in the next few weeks or I'm screwed. I'm still trying to figure out wether to do farm work. I'm really not cut out for it but I'm worried that I'll regret not getting the second year

Try it even if you don't think your cut out for it, at least that way if you can't manage it you have at least tried and won't think later on what if.

Look forward to seeing some pics of your adventures

Guest The Pom Queen
I tbink I'd prefer to work on a cattle farm or something like that than fruit picking but I don't have any experience so I doubt I'd get any

Working on a cattle farm is harder work than fruit picking.

Fruit farm can be darn hard work. Although a lot of the women work in the packing sheds. Better off becoming a Jillaroo for real adventure.

A friend's granddaughter did that in Queensland a couple of years ago. She is a good horse-rider so enjoyed that part but she also had to do a lot cooking for the rest of the farmworkers and she found that the hardest part of the job.

The only annoying thing about the flight was the glare off the window from the sun, kept ruining my photos and videos lol. I got to sit in the front with the pilot. Then we had to drop off some Chinese tourists on Hamilton Island and they left me in the plane alone and I was melting :laugh: felt so warm.

The day before that me and jake went on the boat trip to Whitehaven and Hamilton Island. Had a walk around Hamilton and hired the golf buggy to get around. We had a picnic on Whitehaven - it's gorgeous there but I felt 3 hours was maybe a bit long and they could have gave us an extra hour on Hamilton Island instead because it was rushed there

Sorry I didn't see the farm work comments until now. I really don't know what to do about that. I'd be useless because I get a really sore back easily and I've got no strength

Farm work can include working in packing sheds - grading and sorting etc. It's repetitive and boring but bearable for a limited time to make some money.

Whitsunday islands and reef scenic flight..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32766[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32767[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32768[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32769[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32770[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32771[/ATTACH]

when i was on my whv i worked on hamilton island there doing housekeeping & it was fab. so beautiful & so fun with so many things to do & see. you can pick up lifts on peoples boats to other resorts & uninhabited islands for a day real easy. best time ever & bet your enjoying it.