What does living in Australia mean to you versus living in the UK?

North to South

All my expectations are being filled.

but I have made the effort to remember why I made the move.

I love the outdoors and wanted to live somewhere that give me the opportunity to enjoy more of it.

The weather here makes me feel more alive, living ten minutes from the beach is great. If you want a pool in your backyard you can have one. Going further afield and seeing, experiencing the most wonder scenery.

Happier people.

We all still have to pay bills, clean, shop etc. What is different and better for us, is what we can do on our downtime.

It meant loneliness, not belonging, tied by weather, lacking variety. Safe enough, quite good career wise, initially an adventure. Glad though that I returned to a place I belong, absolutely chockers with variety in everything, no pissing contests (Aus trait, especially in Canberra - mine is bigger/more expensive/cheaper ... Than yours).

The weather here makes me feel alive and I'm stones lighter as I can get out and do stuff.

We are all different of course but at the moment for me UK has it all and I rarely think of Australia but at least I no longer vomit at the thought of returning there which is a bonus I guess.

All my expectations are being filled.

but I have made the effort to remember why I made the move.

I love the outdoors and wanted to live somewhere that give me the opportunity to enjoy more of it.

The weather here makes me feel more alive, living ten minutes from the beach is great. If you want a pool in your backyard you can have one. Going further afield and seeing, experiencing the most wonder scenery.

Happier people.

We all still have to pay bills, clean, shop etc. What is different and better for us, is what we can do on our downtime.

This post pretty much sums it up for me to. I find waking to the sun shining and beautiful blue skies much more pleasant. I love being able to plan outdoor activities ahead, rather than wonder if the weekend will still be dry / nice.

Best of all i love being able to work part time and be around during the day for the kids.

Cal x

We had a pretty good life in the UK

We have the same here in Australia

5 years in and feel so settled

I agree that some days the heat and humidity can be really bad but we have Air Con

But I remember days in the UK where the black ice was a danger for walking and the cold was severe but we had central heating

So again different but the same

I could live happily in both country's

But I'm going on my past memories of the UK and things and people will have moved on

But as you read over the forum some members are very one sided and make sure everyone knows it

Our expectations were that it would be different ... and it has been and we've loved it. We didn't leave a 'bad life' in the UK, and our lives here have, materialistically been comparable. I agree that the sunshine does make you feel a little happier and brighter. We find it more laid back which can be great at times and frustrating at others. Our children, we feel got a taste of the freedom that we experienced as children and my daughter often tells people that she's glad to have experienced her teenage years here. My children are now 20 and 15, neither are bored and seem to find plenty to do.

For us, we've found a sense of contentment that we didn't realise was lacking when we lived in the UK - I don't think you can buy that. We've been here over 8.5 years and my hubby said at weekend "this is the life"

Makes you wonder why 'quoll' still goes on Australian forums if he/she doesn't like Australia and has no intention of going back ????

Rather glad she does to enable an alternative and just as real impression of Australia. I mean sanitised views and weather reports are all very well but those yet to venture out, surely want the other side, warts and all to complete the picture?

Makes you wonder why 'quoll' still goes on Australian forums if he/she doesn't like Australia and has no intention of going back ????

Quoll has every right to post here. Regardless of if she likes Aus or not, she is entitled to post. Many who post here don't like or love Aus, loving it is not a requirement ;) We are all different in our experiences of Australia.

As for no intention of going back, I think for Quoll being in the UK is for family reasons at this time and she may well be returning to Aus in the future.

We have moved back now, for practical reasons. Our expectation of Australia was to have an adventure and explore a new country and the Pacific region. We did quite well in that regard over the years but still have loads left that we want to see - we are coming over next May to do a little bit more exploring.

It feels a really long time ago sometimes, which is a shame. I do find it easier to take advantage of the outdoors in the UK rather than Australia, it can be a bit too hot for me there and also rains much more in Sydney. But it also has glorious blue skies which I loved, so bright and not a cloud in the sky those days. I also liked that most of the year it is warm outside, I was in the garden yesterday and had to think about getting a jumper, definitely would not need to on the last day of Australian summer! I think overall I prefer to be a little bit warmer.

I really enjoyed going going to work in Australia. I only worked for one company the whole time so it could just be that company culture and won't assume it is the same anywhere, but I had a very positive work experience. Colleagues very friendly and welcoming and an organisational culture that put a lot of focus on people and making it a great place to work. Much more positive than the work experience I had when I got back, I found nobody talked!

Edited by Bungo

It means my son can grow up knowing his Australian family, of which there are many. He can grow up knowing the country his father grew up in and is from. He can appreciate both living in England and Australia. And perhaps elsewhere in the world should we choose to move on at some point. It means he sees less of his UK family (less of them, living further apart).

It means I don't get to see my family and friends very often and that genuine regular contact is intermittent. We all lead pretty busy lives and don't have time/energy to sit and Skype at antisocial hours 6 months of the year so its short and sweet emails, FB and the odd card plus Skype when we can both be around at the same time. I'm ok with not seeing them for the most part but just now and again, to just catch up for the day would be good.

It means stinking hot weather in summer. Too hot quite often to venture out into the heat of the day. But we get round this with morning and evening walks and so on. It means cold houses in winter. Crappy insulation and single brick do not for warm heating retaining houses make. Nor does the hot air that gets blown into them.

It means much of my dog walking is done keeping the dog on the lead. Lots of national parks are dog free zones and many parks and walks are dogs under control or on leash. Or because of the snakes etc in warmer months I dare not let him run free on the trails.

It means a better school for our son here. Much better. And he went to an Ofsted rated outstanding school in the UK. High school.... will have to see :)

It means my son can pursue his sports much more. More free sports facilities around. Tennis and basketball courts, ovals, cricket nets, BMX tracks, footy (AFL not soccer). Hubby prefers the cycling here too. Loves the hills and that there is less traffic on them than UK rural roads.

It means I get to sleep covered in mossie repellant most summer nights. Am looking to buy a net this year.

It means fresh fruit in abundance. Cheaper meat? Possibly. Lots of hormones added into it though.

It means a lovely (but can get cold) house in a great area. Bigger gardens and space than we had in the UK.

It means work is intermittent for me. And not always easy to come by. But I get by. Hubby is working, hasn't stopped since we got back.

It means overall, we are happy with life here and have no plans to return to the UK. We like it here more at present. Its not magically wonderful but we've made some good friends, have a lovely home and our son is happy and so are we. The downsides don't make us want to return to the UK, we didn't leave under a cloud either, just decided it would be good to move so here we are. No real biggie and no homesickness or struggling in the least to settle.

Positives for Aus that I enjoy

Wildlife. Yes I do get to see rather a lot of it so perhaps am luckier than many. Echidnas, koalas, emus, roos, possums, dolphins, snakes, spiders, geckos, lizards....

We spend more time together as a family. Hubby working from home means no commute 45 mins- an hour each way a day so he has time to spend at the start and end of day with us. And also weekends are more balanced for us.

I like the spring and autumn months for warmth. Winter is ok (apart from cold housing). Summer when its not stinking hot is good too.

Living on a gulf with its stunning beaches. Not that we visit them a great deal. Often in winter to walk the dog and early morning or evening in summer but other than that, bit hit and miss. We'd rather be off elsewhere most of the time. Nice to have them 15 minutes drive from our house though.

I actually like the part of Aus we live in. Its a pretty lovely place all up :)

Negatives - Hot weather = driving the car and using air con in it. I miss walking to the shops and stuff too. We live too far from our local ones and no such thing as a corner shop near us here.

Not having any say politically. Really don't like that. Roll on citizenship.

The massive food portions. I wanted a cream slice for me, not a cream slice to feed a family of 5! Seriously, why are the single portion cakes and savouries so flipping huge! There is no need.

Marmite. It costs. But at least its here.

I miss the NHS but Medicare and private insurance is doing ok.

For us it's gone over and above what we'd expected to be honest. We swapped a 3 bed 1 bath semi in a leafy village in England to a 4 bed 2 bath, with a pool in rural suburbia outside Perth. A 20 minute walk to the ocean.

The sun really does shine practically every day, which for me is a big thing, I was overweight depressed and hating my desk job back in England, here, I've all but semi retired and love my walking job and have lost the weight, have shaken off the depression and been off the meds now 5 years.

My son goes to an amazing school which he loves and is getting A grades and has even started to enjoy Physical Education which really is a first! He's made some lovely friends who spend most Saturday's around at ours.

My Husband is the one doing the tough stuff at the minute working away FIFO. But it's not a permanent thing and we are saving like mad and paying off the mortgage early with the extra cash. He's had 2 promotions and is currently earning about 4 times his UK salary. If he was working locally that would be at about 2.5 his previous salary. I try and support him by doing absolutely everything around the house so that he has no stress or worry and can come home and really enjoy is R&R .He does it tough though but has his toys to compensate, he loves his motorbikes and has two now one a fully restored vintage motocross bike. Still waiting for the boat and the jet ski :laugh: but we're off to buy a Ute his next R&R which starts tomorrow for 2 weeks this time :jiggy:

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

Well for me, I have now lived longer in Australia than the UK. I effectively left the UK when I was 20 years old to work in Belgium, France, USA and Switzerland. After I was married we then lived in Wallasey (across the Mersey form Liverpool) for nearly 5 years before coming to Australia. People here talk about their old UK friends - well most of mine also moved all over the world. A few did go back to the UK and we have always kept in touch and a few still live overseas. I was never very close to my cousins and I only have my sister in the UK now. I'm also very fond of my SIL and her husband. These three people come over to visit regularly. So all in all, Australia is now my home. I am very happy here.

For us def the reality is better than the expectations. We have been here 11 months today (Ive just put an update on here) and there is so much to do here. We have a lovely group of friends and regularly meet up either at the various beaches, parks, outdoor locations for BBQs and a few beers. Weve even bought a tin boat, and go out on the Swan River, or the kids within the group use the Kayaks!! its a brilliant life here, and doesnt have to cost a fortune to be entertained.

Quoll lived in Canberra though. Which makes me wonder why there wasn't some time in the year where the weather didn't stop her from doing things and keeping her weight down? It's not exactly hot all year round and definitely not going to give you the lifestyle most people leave the UK for. Unless you like snow skiing of course.

I've been to Canberra a few times and I did notice the overweight seemed to be a bit over represented there, compared to where we live anyway. I put it down the it being cooler weather and not being near the Coast.

For me in Brisbane from working in London

World Class holiday destinations down the road.

More disposable cash

Less commute

Can swim in ocean year round

More relaxed lifestyle

Next part of our adventure is about to begin, we have been in Sydney for 5 years now, in the next few weeks we are moving up to the Hunter valley we have a rental for 12 months and during that time I will be building our for ever home, something I've always wanted to do. The weather makes a massive difference compared to the uk, we definitely have a more relaxed lifestyle here.

She has promised to go back because she still has a house and some family there and she is married to an Aussie. She hangs around on PiO out of habit - though spends barely minutes these days perusing and having a giggle at some of the Pollyannas who venture forth. Mainly though to support those poor sods who find themselves in the wrong place and brainwashed into thinking they are bonkers for not loving "Paradise"

As for Canberra - actually one of the better places in Aus to live if you have to live anywhere LOL. PiP is right, the weather is good for half the year but car is king in Canberra, nobody ever walks anywhere if they can help it! That, along with not being depressed any more, has helped my fitness exponentially!

Its great to see some varied responses on here :) I wonder whether if the climate in the UK was more like that of Australia if so many people would make the move? I know for us we've had to delay and delay our move, but desperate to go as we feel it will offer us a more outdoors life, our daughter a chance to grow up in a different way to what she would in the UK, the fortunate chance of being able to buy and not have a mortgage as we do in the UK and through this work less and spend more time as a family unit. Yes, we could move to other parts of the UK and gain the same financial benefits, but I don't think that would bring the same life experiences as moving overseas would bring us.

Our delay though has caused some re-thinks on where to live. We were set on Melbourne, but have then considered NSW along the central coast and now maybe thinking Perth. We've been to all and love Melbourne the most, but we are not hiding the fact that we are making the move for a slightly better climate and wonder does Melbourne offer that versus Central Coast or Perth. I know we'll get there one day and hopefully be as happy as some of the posters to this thread:)

Its great to see some varied responses on here :) I wonder whether if the climate in the UK was more like that of Australia if so many people would make the move? I know for us we've had to delay and delay our move, but desperate to go as we feel it will offer us a more outdoors life, our daughter a chance to grow up in a different way to what she would in the UK, the fortunate chance of being able to buy and not have a mortgage as we do in the UK and through this work less and spend more time as a family unit. Yes, we could move to other parts of the UK and gain the same financial benefits, but I don't think that would bring the same life experiences as moving overseas would bring us.

Our delay though has caused some re-thinks on where to live. We were set on Melbourne, but have then considered NSW along the central coast and now maybe thinking Perth. We've been to all and love Melbourne the most, but we are not hiding the fact that we are making the move for a slightly better climate and wonder does Melbourne offer that versus Central Coast or Perth. I know we'll get there one day and hopefully be as happy as some of the posters to this thread:)

I'm sure if the climate was like Aus then there wouldn't be much point in moving for us. We would have tried to move to somewhere like Bournemouth or maybe St Ives. Come to think of it my Aunt lives in Robin Hoods Bay and that would be a nice place if the weather was good. Downside would be the property would be sky high prices and there would be even more people queuing in Calais.:wink:

The climate wasn't really the point of our move though my hubby did tire of long cold wet English winters (he is a cyclist).

I've lived in the Netherlands and Germany so wasn't really a deal breaker for me either :) I'd have just as happily moved to NZ or back to the Netherlands or northern Spain.

I have lived a lot longer here than in the UK ( twice as long almost) but from what I remember the weather was a big drawcard . The open spaces and the countryside are/were another. In those days more so- getting a bit crowded now. I liked the general attitude of the people here better- still do. I liked the 'dignity of labour' here- still do. I fit in better here, always have from the getgo. I like the sense of humour, the way people help others in a crisis (our family have experienced bushfires) The shops are better in the UK though and I shop online for clothes but not much longer because I won't be paying tax.