What needs to be paid ?

RebeccaMatt

As we were discussing our savings I thought I'd check to make sure we had considered everything that needs to be paid when migrating. Here's our list -

Flights for 4

Visa (+everything that's included with visa)

Vetassess

Ielts

Migration agent

Shipping

Money for replacing what we don't ship

Car (everything that comes with having a car)

6 months rent

Money to get by

School cost

Health insurance

Travel insurance

Bond/deposit on rental

Feel like I'm forgetting something, is there anything we've missed ? I don't want to start the process until I'm sure our savings are up to scratch.. (Although we've had to put a temporary pause on it so a bit more time to save)

Accommodation on arrival until you get a rental, can be quite expensive. Car hire, you wont get get one for a few days at least. You will also need connection fees for all your utilities, am sure there are a lot more!

Two bits of extra "income" you can list too -

- P60 when you leave the UK gives you some tax back.

- Anything you buy from a shop in the 3 months before you leave and take with you on the plane, you can claim the VAT back. Just complete a form when you buy.

BB

Day to day living costs while you look for work. So, rent, household bills, food and general things for at least 3 months and preferably 6 months.

Schools can have differing requirements above uniforms meaning kids might need all sorts of things from pencils to iPads

There is no law says you must fill every cupboard the first shop you do.

True. But, everything will have to be got at some point. Suppose you decide to live frugally and eat beans on toast (with a bit of cheese on top for luxury). You have to buy bread, beans, cheese, some pepper to grind on it, perhaps some mixed herbs and/or worcestershire sauce for flavour. Then, you'll need a saucepan and a spatula. You might want a toaster, although you could do with the grill tray if you had to. You will want a plate, a knife and fork, and a cheese grater. Before you know it, your frugl meal has come to $50 or more. Repeat every meal for at least a week. After a while, you start to have a stock of things, but it adds up very quickly qhilst you get there, whether you do it as a one off or as a series of little shops.

IPads? Are there actually schools that expect you to have those? My son will only be 4 (if we go by the time were hoping to). Rent wise we have enough for approx 6 months + and still plenty of time to save, its really the extras were trying to out money away for now.

My husband is a refrigeration mechanic so yeah he has licences etc to do, but still plenty of time to put away for it. We just need to calculate roughly how much more saving we need to do , I hate not having a rough timeline of things lol and extra cash because of the low starting wage too.

Shopping is a big one too I suppose, we've lived in this house for four years and I still forget we've no cheese grater, only two pots and three glasses! Our house has very little in it, and every time we have extra cash I still forget to buy them !

Oh yes, school laptops and iPads. Probably not required for primary school, but at high school there will possibly be a rental system in place for some low-end old-tech laptop. (Rent will be far more expensive than the actual cost if you were to buy an equivalent retail price). We weren't allowed to buy a laptop for our kids when they were at a Govt school (to do with software licences and hardware ownership), and for our youngest at private school we had to supply a top-spec iPad. At least the iPad is ours!

I think that somewhere on the forums there is a checklist of likely things you'll need to do/arrange or purchase. Maybe try a search; it might help you.

Edit- here's a few lists

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226711

Wow, its crazy what they expect kids to have. I suppose it's so they keep up with technology , it changes that often by the time my son is in school God knows what he will need. I hope they don't introduce them to primary schools, I worry about kids being on the internet too much lol

• 2 weeks later...

I came over with 2 boxes of toiletries . Regular purchases of special offers built up a good stock before departure . Could have opened a chemist but actually it's so much more expensive to buy such like so a good investment .

Mobile - I cancelled my UK contract and went pay as you go here . Just changed the Sim over .

TV package generally provided by Foxtel . They seem to have the market share .

Also some providers

do home phone and wifi package.

I suggest a fund also to support your healthcare.

Dentist , prescriptions ( expensive ) physio generally only partially paid for so have a back up health fund.

Can't think of much more that's not already covered .

Oh and try to have a bank account that has UK and Aus agreements . Moving £'s is expensive otherwise .

HSBS has reciprocal not sure if there' s more. But you can just move easily between accounts .

Exchange rates do add up . Think about return flight fund for emergencies . It's more expensive to book from here to UK than the other way .

So just remember paying things back to the UK from here is double . The other way is of course fantastic .

Do as much as you can with the tax office in the UK before you leave . Trying to reach them from here is tough , not just cost but tine differences too !

Exciting times and good for you for planning so well

Good luck

Archived