Best place for stop over - opinions please

JEM44

Hi, we are finally counting down until we make the big move, May 2016 so will be looking for flights really soon. I want to stop over somewhere for a few days to break the journey up. On our visa activation trip we had 24 hours in Abu Dhabi (Etihad flights were delayed) which we were actually thankful for as it broke the trip nicely. So we started thinking rather than flying all the way with just a few hours stop over, we'd take the opportunity to see somewhere for 2-3 days.

We we will be flying Manchester to Perth so are looking for some suggestions of great places to visit with two teenagers.

Thanks

Laura

I would say Singapore too. Not only have you got most of the journey done by that point but May in the Middle East is too hot for sightseeing IMO. We did Singapore last time and stopping at KL this time (more for variety as I have never seen KL but have been to Singapore twice).

If you book with Singapore air, you can book their special stop over deal with them. This is heavily discounted hotels, transfers and even tickets to attractions. We arrived 7 years ago and were charged $40 for the package for two of us in a 5 star hotel.

We have never been to Hong Kong, and really wanted to, but found it a bit more expensive so went for Singapore. We are travelling with 3 kids (12, 9 and 5) and only have a 17-hour stopover, so though Singapore would work well.

I guess it depends on a few things, budget, who is travelling and length of stay. In some ways it's a win-win between some of these places, as Singapore, KL and Bangkok and HK are probably all pretty good. So you could probably go with any of those, and as long as you go with a good attitude, you could enjoy it and see some stuff.

I went to Dubai many times in my old job, and ever really got the appeal It's just a load of malls, Nandos, Starbucks and Wagamama in the desert.... (iMHO). Loads of my mates and their wives love Dubai though. If you want to shop it's pretty good/

Much will depend on the airline you choose. I suspect the choice of airlines into Perth would be more limited than those going into, say, Sydney. I imagine you'd have a great stopover wherever you land, so I wouldn't pay extra to get flights that route through somewhere just for a stopover. But if you are willing to pay a bit more and think outside the box, you might consider Mauritius (route MAN-CDG and CDG-MRU//PER) or Capetown with an optional second stopover in Istanbul (route MAN-ISTand IST-CPT//JNB-PER).

I have done stopovers in Delhi, Singapore, Bangkok, Istanbul, Beirut, Seoul, Los Angeles and Tashkent. Loved them all.

We flew the same route as you, mind you it was 92 when we emigrated but we found Singapore Airlines did a deal where it didn't cost an awful lot more to stay there for a few nights. It was a nice break, felt like we had a bit of a holiday in between, we left in February and the weather was awful when we left Manchester and very hot in Singapore, Just what we wanted and expected. The hotel the airline sorted out was really nice, in a good spot on a busy street, people were friendly and helpful and there is a lot to see and do.

Wouldn't call it cheap mind you, we've been to Singapore on another holiday since and stayed on Sentosa Island. Nice hotel but everything was expensive. Eating and drinking out in particular. Makes Perth feel cheap by comparison.

It's a nice 5 hour trip to Perth though after and it's in the same time zone so gives you time to adjust.

It does not matter (within reason) where you stop over. I like Hong Kong, just something about it, the 'vibe', I don't know. It reminds me of both Sydney and London, with the harbour and the ferries, and the double decker buses and the bustle of ?Nathan? Road.

The last time I flew from London, I came with Asiana, did not have a stop over unfortunately, which I regret now. It is South Korean airline so stop over would be there.

My brother is presently living in Malaysia, which he seems to like, so perhaps KL would be a possiblility too.

I'd say for an Asian novice, if that is indeed what you are, Singapore would probably head the field as my suggestion. It is rather sanitised, hardly cheap but a good metro system, best of all easy to get around and of course English speaking.

I wouldn't say Bangkok, know it well and each time back there the traffic the traffic has got more insane. There is a lot to do out of Bangkok but for the days you are there is it really worth the effort?

KL is a fine city. Really modernised over fairly recent times, but for a stop over I feel Singapore wins out. For me I'd not personally stay in Singapore long, but get across the causeway into Malaysia. I tend to stay in Malacca and taxi it up to KL for the day if only on a brief stopover.

If you book with Singapore air, you can book their special stop over deal with them. This is heavily discounted hotels, transfers and even tickets to attractions. We arrived 7 years ago and were charged $40 for the package for two of us in a 5 star hotel.

I haven't seen this offered before on the website, is there a link? A couple of days could be really useful.

I haven't seen this offered before on the website, is there a link? A couple of days could be really useful.

We didn't find out about the offer until we got in contact with a travel agent and started booking flights.

Also stopped over in KL one time and that was nice. Stopped in Qatar last time and didn't like that one bit.

I want to stop over somewhere for a few days to break the journey up.

SINGAPORE

I had arranged a stopover for (what was meant to be) a few days. But I loved it so much; I actually changed my flight and stayed a few weeks.

For a start, it is a clean and very safe city. I use to wander around by myself late at night and NEVER once felt scared, uneasy or threatened. The train service is brilliant. The food is delicious. I stayed in a traditional hotel in Chinatown and simply soaked up the atmosphere.

If you are into shopping that is well catered for. I picked up a brilliant camera there very cheaply. But clothes shopping is good too. Some rich Australians fly from Perth to Singapore for lunch, shopping and then home the same day!! Although I picked up some great traditional type outfits in Chinatown.

You could spend a whole day on Sentosa. And Singapore Zoo is the best in the world. And not forgetting having a Singapore Sling in the Long Bar at the Raffles Hotel.

http://www.yoursingapore.com/see-do-singapore/recreation-leisure.html

I even did few days trip into Malaysia.

They are all good for a few days. We haven't done Hong Kong which is probably the most expensive but have done Singapore, KL, Dubai and Bangkok. Spent more time since in Singapore. It is reasonably cheap and easy to get around on public transport quite compact as well if you are happy to walk.

Archived