For those who have lived here a while

starlight7

What do you think is different from, say, 20 years ago?

Quick list for me would be

Traffic is much worse

Shops open all hours and everyday now

People are more aware of issues like bullying in schools ( still happening just the same though!)

A lot more 'political correctness' in small ways- people are careful with jokes and who they tell them to now, for e.g.

Terrorism is an issue ( not much before as far as I can remember)

Music has got worse not better

TV ditto

Weather has changed a bit- overall a bit warmer. We used to get frosts but not now

Restaurants are better and more diverse

Coffee is uniformly excellent- just don't get 'instant' anymore in cafes.

Traffic is much worse

Shops open all hours and everyday now

People are more aware of issues like bullying in schools ( still happening just the same though!)

A lot more 'political correctness' in small ways- people are careful with jokes and who they tell them to now, for e.g.

Terrorism is an issue ( not much before as far as I can remember)

Music has got worse not better

TV ditto

Weather has changed a bit- overall a bit warmer. We used to get frosts but not now

Restaurants are better and more diverse

Coffee is uniformly excellent- just don't get 'instant' anymore in cafes.

Bloody hell ..sounds like the u.k

When I arrived in Sydney at the end of 1978, the shops all closed for the weekend at 12 noon on Saturday, and most of the pubs were closed all day Sunday.

I don't know about the cost of living, cost of houses, or the traffic, because at the time, some of those things seemed just as bad. I certainly did not think that it was easy for me to pay my mortgage off in the late 80's/early 90's, and it was a relatively small loan. Come to think of it, it was two thirds of the value of my home, so I put about one third down, a reasonable amount of 'equity' but my parents gave me some of the money. When I am stuck in traffic now, I never think 'God, I wish this was like the 1980's when it was SO much easier to drive in the rush hour!' Mind you, perhaps the traffic was not as bad then on the the weekends, the way it is now?

Young people (not all of course) seem spoiled, arrogant and entitled

“Our youth now love luxury," sighed one well-known public intellectual. "They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannise their teachers.”

a quote from an Aristophanes play.

Basically, kids have always been ghastly little sods, and older people have always thought the world is going to hell in a handcart.

Copied from: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomchiversscience/100172911/kids-disrespecting-their-elders-since-4000bc/

^^^ Agree. All that guff about kids want the best tablet/iphone is just that...........guff. When I was a kid we argued about who had the best peashooter or catapult. I bet kids nowadays wouldn't know what they are, but back then, we never knew what a spinning top or hoop was, so little's changed...............just the objects

“Our youth now love luxury," sighed one well-known public intellectual. "They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannise their teachers.”

a quote from an Aristophanes play.

Basically, kids have always been ghastly little sods, and older people have always thought the world is going to hell in a handcart.

Copied from: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomchiversscience/100172911/kids-disrespecting-their-elders-since-4000bc/

A lecturer called them the trophy generation .... they seem to expect something for just turning up. Thankfully, not all young people are like that

I haven't been here 10 years yet but i too have noticed the PC brigade making a bigger presence this last few years. The internet has took off now too, when we first came it wasn't half as popular as today. Near us building has boomed and the population has near on doubled in our area which has pro's and con's.

I have noticed grocery and electric prices rising, my shopping costs around $100 more each week than it did 8 years ago and electric bills are about $300 more a quarter than back then.

However I have noticed a few things haven't changed, the weather is still awesome most of the time, the people are still friendly and there is always somewhere new to explore in this massive country.

Cal x

A lecturer called them the trophy generation .... they seem to expect something for just turning up. Thankfully, not all young people are like that

I think youre missing the point.

Aristophanes lived about 400BC.

The older we get, the worse we think the younger generations actually are.

Housing affordability would be top of the list

Young people (not all of course) seem spoiled, arrogant and entitled

Cost of living has certainly risen

Fear of terrorism

Housing affordability tops all IMV

I actually find the young less aggressive by far in general, to the point of passivity, although I expect most frustrations are expressed are social media these days.

I don't think it's just here that it's changed over the last 20 years. It's almost everywhere. Some good and bad in it e.g. technology advances have been amazing but also mean that people now spend their life with a mobile glued to their hands!! Friends who jumped on the UK property ladder 10 years before me are in a much better situation than me.

Who knows what the next 20 years hold!!

I think all old farts (myself included) bang on about standards of music dropping but as I spend all my time listening to Joni Mitchell, Annie Lennox, and fleet wood Mac I don't think I really give new and emerging musicians a chance. I find the young people I meet spookily together, mature and very polite and relatively compliant compared to my generation. Many have grown up in the absence of major hardship and I suspect my 20 year old daughter would struggle to live the way we did as students in the 80's (7 people with only one loo! Can't remember it being a problem!)

I think all old farts (myself included) bang on about standards of music dropping but as I spend all my time listening to Joni Mitchell, Annie Lennox, and fleet wood Mac I don't think I really give new and emerging musicians a chance. I find the young people I meet spookily together, mature and very polite and relatively compliant compared to my generation. Many have grown up in the absence of major hardship and I suspect my 20 year old daughter would struggle to live the way we did as students in the 80's (7 people with only one loo! Can't remember it being a problem!)

Yes 6 of us in our house and one downstairs bathroom :laugh: can't see my girls coping with that either, although we didn't linger too long in the bathroom as no central heating then either!

Traffic is much worse. NO...20 years ago I lived near the New England Hwy, NSW traffic flow was about 15,000 vehicles/day and today in Downtown Ball Bay our daily traffic flow is oh, a least 20 vehicles/day

Shops open all hours and everyday now...No shops...

People are more aware of issues like bullying in schools ( still happening just the same though!) No school.

Terrorism is an issue ( not much before as far as I can remember)...The local pessimist goes to my nextie to pour out the wrongs in his garden...

Music has got worse not better....Nextie plays Slim Dusty..

TV ditto..Thank the heavens for dvds

Weather has changed a bit- overall a bit warmer. We used to get frosts but not now... Definitely...We are in the tropics, at 6 metres above sea level...20 years ago, we experienced 70 frosts a year; but then again, Glen Innes is 1070 m above sea level

Restaurants are better and more diverse...No restaurants.

Coffee is uniformly excellent- just don't get 'instant' anymore in cafes...No cafes. Can honestly say that I have never bought a cup of coffee, instant, or ground, in all my 52 years in Australia.

Cheers, Bobj.

Never bought a cup of coffee, Bob? Wow! I buy one about 4-5 days per week on average. Can't drink instant, it is too disgusting. For some it is smokes, some booze, for me--coffee

I don't do posh coffee either. If I'm out I sometimes get a long black, but it's rare. If we go out for breakfast I have a pot of English breakfast tea.

I don't do posh coffee either. If I'm out I sometimes get a long black, but it's rare. If we go out for breakfast I have a pot of English breakfast tea.

Odd spot...Working in the East Kimberlies in 1976 and after a 3 hour drive from Kununurra, called in at the 'smoko camp', actually, our watering place for water-binding a section of the Great Northern Hwy prior to laying bitumen.

Danny, our 'tea boy' offered me a pannikin of tea, as I was drinking it I noticed a tiny piece of bandage on the cracked enamel...A digit of Danny's was stuck there. You see, Danny had leprosy.

Never touched another drink of tea since.

Squirm Ya buggas!!!:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Odd spot...Working in the East Kimberlies in 1976 and after a 3 hour drive from Kununurra, called in at the 'smoko camp', actually, our watering place for water-binding a section of the Great Northern Hwy prior to laying bitumen.

Danny, our 'tea boy' offered me a pannikin of tea, as I was drinking it I noticed a tiny piece of bandage on the cracked enamel...A digit of Danny's was stuck there. You see, Danny had leprosy.

Never touched another drink of tea since.

Squirm Ya buggas!!!:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Bleurghhhhhhhhh! :laugh:

^^^ Agree. All that guff about kids want the best tablet/iphone is just that...........guff. When I was a kid we argued about who had the best peashooter or catapult. I bet kids nowadays wouldn't know what they are, but back then, we never knew what a spinning top or hoop was, so little's changed...............just the objects

My kids still make bows and arrows in the backyard. Depends on the kids John.

There is far greater ambition now. More status awareness by far. All to many want to be the boss and act accordingly. A more dog eat dog society. Hardly only in Australia, as the spread of neo liberalism capitalism has impacted everywhere, not for the betterment of society as a rule

Greater individualism has resulted with the results often reflected on posts on this forum. Social media has changed how the younger view the world beyond belief. A two edged sword to be sure.

Changing faces of immigration,obesity,unaffordability for younger people to get on the property ladder,and having kids much older in a lot of cases,price hikes of utilities,lack of tolerance towards other people (whether that's at work,driving or whatever)a lot more people suffering from mental health issues (or is it that we're more aware these days?)more drug use and harder drugs.People often quote Australia has a more laid back lifestyle.In what way?People smoking dope?Most of the folk I know are just as stressed out as their brit counterparts.

Archived