Am I missing something?

I wouldn't want to be so precious as to have a special part of the forum set aside. I can't understand why people call others bullies??? It's a forum where people just post how they feel, if you can't handle that on-line I would suggest never going on social media again. This forum is pretty tame compared to most.

I don't see bullies as such but the ganging up on some of the more sensitive souls more in the past, I feel and have read as much impedes the posters need to vent when negatives are expressed. Hence some would feel unable to comment for fear of the wrath brought on. A perfectly normal part of proceedings on a migration related forum, at least I would have thought.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't disagree with what you say, nor do I think of it is El Dorado, or perfect. I'll be honest that what I find irritating it's generally accepted that it's ok to knock the people that live here and like doing so judgements about those people being that they've been dragged up in a bad area of the UK so anything is better than that, you have to like the beach lifestyle etc. etc., and if you don't like it then you've seen the light. People are up in arms when negatives are said about the UK, so much so admin accommodated those returning to the UK with a private part of the forum, yet for those of us who live and like living in Perth are subject to very similar 'bashing'.

What about setting up an equivalent to the 'hidden' MBTTUK forum for people who love it here? You could call it 'Staying in Australia,' and restrict access to only those posters who want to enthusiastically agree with each other about the delights of living here? Aus-sceptics like myself could be barred from posting on it and no one would give poor old Perth a kicking. Worthy of consideration?

What do you call an un-Australian lifestyle flag? To me the lifestyle that Maryrose leads just demonstrates that Aus provides just about any lifestyle you want. I know mine is probably classed as a very Australian lifestyle, living near the beach, suburb 30Km out of Perth, love sport and spend lots of time doing it, love the sun, heat and sand between my toes. I know this isn't for everyone and Maryrose has a different lifestyle to me. Doesn't mean that it's un-Australian though.

I'm sure you have a different lifestyle to me and it will be as Australian a lifestyle as mine, simply because you are here.:cool:

No not really. Surry Hills as noted in previous post is one of the most concentrated areas of population in Australia. Hardly a norm or even at today's prices a possible if at all desirable option to most those seeking out an inner city, buzzy location. Most have to make do with far flung outer suburbs.

[/b]

What about setting up an equivalent to the 'hidden' MBTTUK forum for people who love it here? You could call it 'Staying in Australia,' and restrict access to only those posters who want to enthusiastically agree with each other about the delights of living here? Aus-sceptics like myself could be barred from posting on it and no one would give poor old Perth a kicking. Worthy of consideration?

Great idea, i can just imagine the thread titles:

How do you like your meat pie? Sauce on top or 'naked'?

Tim tam slam vs vegemite on toast, which one is more awesome?

How to enjoy Perf on $1000 a day budget

How to unleash your inner tradie!

and...

Asylum seekers: do they qualify as human?

and...

:biglaugh:

[/b]

Admin declined lol .. Guess we're a hardy lot in Perth

I don't disagree with what you say, nor do I think of it is El Dorado, or perfect. I'll be honest that what I find irritating it's generally accepted that it's ok to knock the people that live here and like doing so judgements about those people being that they've been dragged up in a bad area of the UK so anything is better than that, you have to like the beach lifestyle etc. etc., and if you don't like it then you've seen the light. People are up in arms when negatives are said about the UK, so much so admin accommodated those returning to the UK with a private part of the forum, yet for those of us who live and like living in Perth are subject to very similar 'bashing'.

I don't look for particular parts of the forum - I just browse through new posts. As I think many do.

But I guess you could make OP's moderators of the threads they create. Therefore - if anyone posted anything you didn't like you could just clear them down, or even stop people from posting on your thread. Sort of like a thread ownership. Thus, you could have argumentative threads if you didn't care or just close down the negative if you wanted to keep it on track. No sure if the site has the capability, but if it does it could be an option.

It's not changed flag, beaches and bars are still packed mate, just that you don't go the beach any more and very rarely bars by the sound of it.

Disagree there. There was a time the pubs were full after work. Blokes would stay on through the night. Hardly the case these days in time spent nor numbers involved. As for the beach not really. The days when the tan went out of fashion led to a slow decline in attendance. Every young girl at one time (or it appeared)stated beach as a prime interest. Not saying still doesn't get a lot but no one I know goes. Nor their kids in the main from what I can tell.

It's not changed flag, beaches and bars are still packed mate, just that you don't go the beach any more and very rarely bars by the sound of it.

Every pub I passed in Surry Hills this evening was packed. Fair enough, it's Friday night, but you think 'Hard Times? For whom?' And if the weather is nice, then the beaches are packed too, which is why I prefer to go in the late arvo/early evening when I can get a parking place.

and...

My God, your wit is wasted on PIO. You deserve a wider stage!

I don't look for particular parts of the forum - I just browse through new posts. As I think many do.

But I guess you could make OP's moderators of the threads they create. Therefore - if anyone posted anything you didn't like you could just clear them down, or even stop people from posting on your thread. Sort of like a thread ownership. Thus, you could have argumentative threads if you didn't care or just close down the negative if you wanted to keep it on track. No sure if the site has the capability, but if it does it could be an option.

I love that idea! When you start a thread you do feel like that you have that responsibility to look after it, to thank those who respond and try and keep it on track. You could be on to something there!

and...

Perhaps I have lost 'the great British sense of humour' because I just find your stereotyping ridiculous. Your implication that all people who enjoy living here are uneducated fwits is damned irritating.

Perhaps I have lost 'the great British sense of humour' because I just find your stereotyping ridiculous. Your implication that all people who enjoy living here are uneducated fwits is damned irritating.

Harpos idea of 'bland aussie humour' is taking cheap shots due to stereotyping of the daftest parts of the society in which you live.

Thus, this is a self fulfilling prophesy; by his own ideals, he must have lost his british sense of humour and 'gone native'

Harpos idea of 'bland aussie humour' is taking cheap shots due to stereotyping of the daftest parts of the society in which you live.

Thus, this is a self fulfilling prophesy; by his own ideals, he must have lost his british sense of humour and 'gone native'

Aw look, I'm practically one of youz guys now!

Yes, but try and get grilled fish in the UK. For the most part it's what your used to. I'm just starting to appreciate triple fried chips after many years in UK.

Back in the UK next month. Can't wait to ask for a grilled fish, a portion of calamari and a side salad...

Well I like the meat pies especially at the AFL, so what does that make me? A stereotypical what? A pom trying too hard I suppose who happens to be married to SHOCK HORROR a tradie, who yes does FIFO and wears Hi Viz. Ah well, at least I'm happy in my little world.

I'm a season ticket holder at the Brisbane Lions (poor me) and love a meat pie and I work as an accountant not sure where I fit?. If I was trying hard I'd probably be at the Broncos instead.

Seems the people looking down on this stuff are the one's trying hard...

All posters to this thread are aware of their own lives, individuality and the ridiculousness of stereotyping. They still think it's fun though so continue the mickey taking. We are all unique and truly our decisions and 'likes' are ours alone to justify. Just be happy and live your life. We are what we are and if we like it that's ok. We don't need to prove our intellectualism or breadth of our world view. Life's too short mate.

All posters to this thread are aware of their own lives, individuality and the ridiculousness of stereotyping. They still think it's fun though so continue the mickey taking. We are all unique and truly our decisions and 'likes' are ours alone to justify. Just be happy and live your life. We are what we are and if we like it that's ok. We don't need to prove our intellectualism or breadth of our world view. Life's too short mate.

I see what you did there and I like it :wink:

Archived