Single Mum longing to move; but dont know where to start!

SydneySister

Hello, Im Nicole

I am a single mum of my son who will be 3 next week (scary!). I have always dreamt of moving to Sydney since my auntie made the move when I was a young child; she is still there with her two children, and I would love to join them! I am currently training as a midwife over in the UK but ideally wanted to only work part time once completed training to "relax" for a while after this hardgoing degree and missing out on my sons early years.

I have tried to make sense of the application process but am getting different information from different sites and I am struggling to make head nor tail of the information!! Some sites stated the working holiday visas were not possible for parents; others stated that the only option for me was a visa which required full time work while there meaning leaving my son more than I ideally would like to.

Can anyone help me out please? Also I understand I need some sort of statement from the father to state consent; which he has verbally given but is there an official document or can we make our own and sign in presence of solicitors for legitimacy?

Thanks in advance!

I dont know if it was similar to a nurse, but I need 3 months full time post grad experience to apply for AHPRA for a skills assessment. I would presume it was similar but part time would affect the timescale... ie 20 hours per week = 6 months before you could apply.

The only thing to be wary of, is whether you would find employment as a single parent that would fit around childcare in Australia? Single parents do move all the time, but you need to ensure you can find suitable work.

I dont know if it was similar to a nurse, but I need 3 months full time post grad experience to apply for AHPRA for a skills assessment. I would presume it was similar but part time would affect the timescale... ie 20 hours per week = 6 months before you could apply.

The only thing to be wary of, is whether you would find employment as a single parent that would fit around childcare in Australia? Single parents do move all the time, but you need to ensure you can find suitable work.

Thanks so much for the reply! I think I have read that somewhere similar. I know about the working after qualified but do you know of any info regarding once in australia if part time work is an option? The childcare will be difficult but thankfully I have family there and my aunt is self employed who will help out until I am on my feet a bit :) x

Hello, Im Nicole

I am a single mum of my son who will be 3 next week (scary!). I have always dreamt of moving to Sydney since my auntie made the move when I was a young child; she is still there with her two children, and I would love to join them!

Are you close to your auntie? Have you spoken to her about your plans? Have you spent a long holiday with her so you're not just dreaming about a theoretical place, you know what it's really like?

I ask because Sydney is by far the most expensive city in Australia for housing. There is no way that as a single mum, you'd be able to survive on a part-time wage in Sydney. You might struggle on a full-time wage! If you spend some time browsing these forums, you'll find that most families who come to Sydney find they're worse off financially than they were in the UK (unless they're used to London prices).

If you're close to your auntie and you're able to live with her, that would make a big difference but if that wouldn't work long-term, you would have a real challenge making ends meet.

As others have said, you need experience as well as qualifications. Do you have experience in your original career? If it's on the list, then you could apply using that - remember, once you've got your visa (assuming you go for PR), you can work at anything you like, it doesn't have to be the job you applied with.

You need to be qualified to pass both the skills assessment and AHPRA registration - so are unable to do either of these things until you have become registered in the UK (the NMC have to pass on info the AHPRA). As Jac has said there is also the post grad experience that you need to gain.

You are not able to travel with a child on a WHV, but that visa also restricts you to working with an employer for only 6 months

Temporary visa's usually tie you to the employer working full time hours.

Some nursing jobs are advertised as giving preference to Permanent residents or Citizens. You can usually get part time hours in health care - but they are not always school hours e.g. you would still be required to work shifts if the unit you were on worked shifts.+

Havent been with my son, as during the degree (since I had him) I havent had longer than a two week break (usually less as exam or essay due in that time) since I started my degree and its not worthwhile taking a toddler on that long haul flight for 10 days. I think on the short term I could stay with her but not long term as her place is small (shes also a single mum, and affords a place). I dont have realistic expectations Im not one of these loopers going in blindfolded wanting a 4 bedroom villa with a pool etc. A small flat would suit me perfect. Its the lifestyle and outdoors I want, not a perfect home, as I dont have that here either.

I have also been looking into house sharing who are willing to accept people with families so thats a possibility also while I save etc. Its just the getting into the country to start with im having the main struggles with; i think the rest can be sorted when needed. x

The steps you will need to take are as follows:

Once you have completed your studies and gained registration, you could do one of the following:

1. Apply for jobs in Sydney and see if any hospitals would be willing to sponsor. However, sponsored roles have some down sides and they are only a temporary visa. You would also be required to work full time for the duration of the visa.

2. Alternatively, get several months full time experience in the UK and start the application process for a permanent visa. This is a long process and will require a number of hoops to be passed including medicals, skills assessment, english tests etc. It is not a cheap process - expect to pay several thousand pounds.

You do need to seriously research though the viability of this. Working part time in Sydney and bringing up a child is going to be VERY hard. Rents in Sydney are comparable to central London.

I dont have realistic expectations Im not one of these loopers going in blindfolded wanting a 4 bedroom villa with a pool etc. A small flat would suit me perfect. Its the lifestyle and outdoors I want, not a perfect home, as I dont have that here either.

I didn't imagine you were! I'm only going by the fact that when my first marriage broke up I was working part-time 3 days a week and I had to go back to f/t work because there was absolutely no way I could cope on my part-time salary (and I was a manager). I lived in a house-share at the time. Best thing to do is to look at domain.com.au and realestate.com.au to see what rentals cost.

I didn't focus too much on the Sydney aspect but as a family of 5 (2 full time workers on a similar salary to what you can expect if you work full time) our quality of life in Sydney would not be worth moving there. Are you sure you wouldn't consider somewhere more affordable? Your son will be of school age and you could get an au pair. This way, you could work full time and afford to live in a 3 bed house possibly with pool?

For example in Townsville for $400 a week I could rent a 4 bed with pool, or for $320 a week I could rent a 4 bed without pool. In sydney I think you would be doubling that for a small unit. In the Uk we spent so long living on the bread line, it affected my first marriage and the early years of my 2nd marriage. I knew that Australia should be about more disposable income so we could enjoy the lifestyle.

Are you sure you wouldn't consider somewhere more affordable? Your son will be of school age and you could get an au pair. This way, you could work full time and afford to live in a 3 bed house possibly with pool?

I just love Sydney but would totally move further afield within easy driving distance though so I have my auntie to rely on for childcare in emergencies if need be. I just havent looked much into it yet as the thought of being further out on my own when not yet used to living there sounds even more scary ! lol x

Havent been with my son, as during the degree (since I had him) I havent had longer than a two week break (usually less as exam or essay due in that time) since I started my degree and its not worthwhile taking a toddler on that long haul flight for 10 days. I think on the short term I could stay with her but not long term as her place is small (shes also a single mum, and affords a place). I dont have realistic expectations Im not one of these loopers going in blindfolded wanting a 4 bedroom villa with a pool etc. A small flat would suit me perfect. Its the lifestyle and outdoors I want, not a perfect home, as I dont have that here either.

I have also been looking into house sharing who are willing to accept people with families so thats a possibility also while I save etc. Its just the getting into the country to start with im having the main struggles with; i think the rest can be sorted when needed. x

Sorry but you are going in blind. Agreed you have not mentioned four bed room houses with a pool, but honestly I doubt a single mum working part time in nursing in Sydney could even get a small apartment. Unless you have other sources of wealth, you are just not thinking this through.

What lifestyle are you hoping to achieve? I can only see you heading for a life in poverty? And the old outdoors chestnut. You can go outdoors in the UK, I am telling you it rains a whole lot less in the UK versus Sydney and if it is a bit chilly put a jumper on, nothing you can do to protect against heat and humidity except stay indoors.

You would be better off applying for PR when you are qualified.

You need to consider child care costs, school tuition (if NSW is one of the states that charge for government schooling for 457's etc). On a part time wage you would not be able to afford an apartment in Sydney. As a single parent you really do need to consider that and if you would be eligible for family assistance.

If you are willing to work regionally, then financially you would be better off.

Over the next two years whilst you are studying, investigate other areas of Australia too and a PR visa.

Good luck.

I understand the support of your auntie but she lives in Sydney which wont help you at all...

If you are looking to make the move, and plenty of single parents do, you need to have the strength to do it on your own and do the appropriate research. I personally know, I wouldn't expect any relative to look after my children. That is a full time job you are putting onto someone else.

I have other qualifications in childrens care and development at diploma level 2. Would that help at all. I just hate the thought of waiting 2 years + AFTER my degree, that would mean looking at a move in 2018!! :o. Thanks for the luck!

No they wont help sadly. NVQs are worth nothing in Oz unless they are level 4/5 most jobs accepting diplomas are that level. There are a tiny amount at level 3 at a push... but no level 2 and certainly not in childcare.

You wont be able to do anything til you finish your degree. Sorry.

Sydney gets double the rain a year that London gets.

I'd have a good chat with your aunty about how she affords it. Also, if you get permission to take your child, often you have to agree to either fly the father out once a year, or fly your child back to see him. That's quite an expense to add on.

I understand the support of your auntie but she lives in Sydney which wont help you at all...

If you are looking to make the move, and plenty of single parents do, you need to have the strength to do it on your own and do the appropriate research. I personally know, I wouldn't expect any relative to look after my children. That is a full time job you are putting onto someone else.

Anytime she comes home I have her kids 90% of the time while she goes out rekindling relationships with friends so I am much owed !!! Lol but totally understand where your coming from xx

No they wont help sadly. NVQs are worth nothing in Oz unless they are level 4/5 most jobs accepting diplomas are that level. There are a tiny amount at level 3 at a push... but no level 2 and certainly not in childcare.

You wont be able to do anything til you finish your degree. Sorry.

I did mean to type 3 sorry! I have a level 3 lol finger must have missed; but couldnt see myself working with kids again in all honesty anyway x

I am an IT consultant and work in Sydney from time to time. The young single people I know love it there but find it very expensive (and they are relatively very well paid $120K+). The (highly paid)ones with families struggle even living on the outskirts with huge commutes (and $1 million + housing costs). It's a beautiful city for a holiday and a rich person's playground to live in. I have no idea how people with averagely paid jobs exist there. We live in Brisbane and that is expensive but do-able (comparative cost of living to SE UK in my opinion). As much as I love Australia, I am tired of us having to work so hard just to get by, so am hoping to return to UK for a more affordable lifestyle. If you are determined to make it work then get qualified and get some excellent experience under your belt before coming here. And save so you have a comfortable cushion to support you whilst job seeking. We brought $20,000 in 2007 but I did have a job to go to. I suspect you may need a similar or higher amount to set yourself up. Sorry to sound so negative - I always advise young singles to give it a go and wing it in shared houses etc - But you are in a much more precarious position with a child to support.

Agreed with above. Do your research! I'm on an average wage in sydney. Single. Live in a share house. Full time work plus overtime. Cannot save at all as living expenses are very high. I'm returning home this year thank goodness with cost of living being one of the major reasons..

Archived