Things that are cheaper in the UK that we should bring!

Louzie

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking about shoes, are New Balance available there? It's all I buy because they sell various widths and nothing else fits correctly.

I have never heard of them but that doesn't mean they are not available here. I'd Google and see if they sell the brand here.

Bisto is essential. When we moved to Canada were tried anything we could to get it (instant, regular was available). Fortunately it's sold here now. But once I'm in Australia I will have to find a source of it, or something comparable.

Yes you can get it, and new balance trainers! Australia is not still in the dark ages, though some would like to think so!

whatever you are advised to stock up on it will eventually run out so i would say just embrace the new adventure and let go the essentials you will realise are not that important at the end of the day.....for the record I have to say im incredulous at advice given to stock up in primark.....the biggest tat and crap shop!!! so many better options here, if you're emigrating, just do it and don't worry about awful shops like Primark!!!

Talking about shoes, are New Balance available there? It's all I buy because they sell various widths and nothing else fits correctly.

You can find New Balance here! They have a store at Watertown (Harbourtown) Outlet Mall in Perth and you can also get them in Atheletes Foot stores too. I'm sure you'll find them in some other stores too, I just havent looked in any of them tbh lol

Edited by ScotsQuine

Bisto is essential. When we moved to Canada were tried anything we could to get it (instant, regular was available). Fortunately it's sold here now. But once I'm in Australia I will have to find a source of it, or something comparable.

Bisto is not essential! It's essential to how you cook now, but you're going to a different country with different cuisine. Try cooking more like the locals

Bisto is not essential! It's essential to how you cook now, but you're going to a different country with different cuisine. Try cooking more like the locals

Saying bisto (or gravy) isn't essential to me is like saying salt isn't essential. I cannot live without gravy.

Saying bisto (or gravy) isn't essential to me is like saying salt isn't essential. I cannot live without gravy.

I think I might've said that at one time, but when I arrived in Oz 30 years ago, it wasn't an option. So I had to learn to cook without it. I think my cooking improved as a result because I wasn't relying on gravy to give flavour.

I buy my son NB runners for school sports. They have a really strict uniform policy and only allow a few styles. Athletes foot have them and measure and fit school shoes too.

I decided early on to just buy Aussie where I could. After all it's the Aussie economy I want to support as I'm living and working here. Also buying locally to support local business and producers is the way to go in my opinion. All apart from yellow dusters which I can't get here :laugh:

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

The Bisto instant gravy granules are widely available but the Bisto gravy powder (for thickening home made gravy) is not, though corn flower does the same thing but without the extra flavour!

I stand corrected. I don't use either, so would not know. The method I use is to put the roasting tin on the hob while the meat rests, add a good glug of wine and give a good scrape. Sometimes, I might then add a spoon of flour, but generally a good gravy doesn't need it. Then add some good stock, and reduce. Maybe a knob of butter to give some gloss at the end.

I stand corrected. I don't use either, so would not know. The method I use is to put the roasting tin on the hob while the meat rests, add a good glug of wine and give a good scrape. Sometimes, I might then add a spoon of flour, but generally a good gravy doesn't need it. Then add some good stock, and reduce. Maybe a knob of butter to give some gloss at the end.

I wasn't try to knock you VS! Linda generally is a from scratch gravy maker uses the water from the veg's too, the granules get used when no roast meat involved ie bangers & mash. The Powder we usually bring back from our UK holidays but no real drama if we run out.

I do think that moving to a foreign country and then trying to live as if you're still in the UK is a recipe for unhappiness.

I do agree with this if is someone is trying to replicate their entire way of life based around what it was like in the UK. Same for any migrant moving anywhere. It ain't happening and to think it will or to try to keep a foot back in the UK and one foot in Aus means you are not really truly trying to migrate or adapt. You say you are, think you are but you really are not.

I've known Germans, Dutch, Americans, Kiwi's, Aussies, French, South Africans, Chileans, Irish and more during my life as a migrant elsewhere in the world. Migrants in other countries. Most freely admitted it was nice to have the odd food thing they loved from their home country now and again. But back then (20 years or so ago) much of it wasn't readily available and certainly no online shopping. It was usually when something was mailed to them. I got to try some interesting foods this way too ;)

But thats the key thing, its the odd thing, a treat now and again. Even Aussies in their own country hanker after a childhood favourite no longer sold or spot something on the shelf they've not eaten in months/years and buy it for the nostalgia or because it tasted good and they wanted to make it again.

I do wonder if its perhaps because the countries are in many ways perceived similar and also share the English language. That this actually makes it harder to let go and integrate, to adopt the Aussie things into your life. I know when I lived in countries where English was not the native language, adapting in many ways was easier. There was nothing to hold on to or hanker after and I really did just have to jump in with both feet, embrace it all and learn a language. Was a great experience and perhaps has been a good part of why I was able to settle and adapt so well once I arrived in Aus.

I do agree with this if is someone is trying to replicate their entire way of life based around what it was like in the UK. Same for any migrant moving anywhere. It ain't happening and to think it will or to try to keep a foot back in the UK and one foot in Aus means you are not really truly trying to migrate or adapt. You say you are, think you are but you really are not.

I've known Germans, Dutch, Americans, Kiwi's, Aussies, French, South Africans, Chileans, Irish and more during my life as a migrant elsewhere in the world. Migrants in other countries. Most freely admitted it was nice to have the odd food thing they loved from their home country now and again. But back then (20 years or so ago) much of it wasn't readily available and certainly no online shopping. It was usually when something was mailed to them. I got to try some interesting foods this way too ;)

But thats the key thing, its the odd thing, a treat now and again. Even Aussies in their own country hanker after a childhood favourite no longer sold or spot something on the shelf they've not eaten in months/years and buy it for the nostalgia or because it tasted good and they wanted to make it again.

I do wonder if its perhaps because the countries are in many ways perceived similar and also share the English language. That this actually makes it harder to let go and integrate, to adopt the Aussie things into your life. I know when I lived in countries where English was not the native language, adapting in many ways was easier. There was nothing to hold on to or hanker after and I really did just have to jump in with both feet, embrace it all and learn a language. Was a great experience and perhaps has been a good part of why I was able to settle and adapt so well once I arrived in Aus.

Good post Snifter! Found myself nodding my head in agreement :yes:

There is a chain of shops called The Athlete's Foot and they sell the New Balance range.

I brought some and they are extremely comfortable.

They have 130 shop outlets Australia wide; but you can also buy online.

I do think that moving to a foreign country and then trying to live as if you're still in the UK is a recipe for unhappiness.

Never truer words were spoken!

Best to just move over here and totally embrace all the new food tastes and brands etc.....

Learn to adapt and go with the flow

The worst thing you can do is constantly compare and keep doing exchange rates in your head!

It costs what it costs - the quicker you get use to it - the happier you will be.

Never truer words were spoken!

Best to just move over here and totally embrace all the new food tastes and brands etc.....

Learn to adapt and go with the flow

The worst thing you can do is constantly compare and keep doing exchange rates in your head!

It costs what it costs - the quicker you get use to it - the happier you will be.

There is nobody happier about making Australia their home than me. However, there are a couple of ingredients that just aren't duplicated in the Australian market so I have to go to the British shop to get. I've tried doing without them but I can't and neither can my family. Sadly a trip to the British shop ends up being expensive because we buy far more than we went in for!!

There is nobody happier about making Australia their home than me.

That comment was really aimed at new arrivals.

I have noticed through observation over the years, that people who cling on to the old (country, ways, customs, food brands etc...) have the most problems settling in the new.

I cut ties with everything when I emigrated and embraced the new - never had any issues, never been homesick, never wanted to ping pong, never wanted to return to the UK even, and always been very happy here.

Never missed any British food particularly (not for long any way - soon forgot about them) just found similar products here. And years later when I have tried something again (Angel Delight which I use to adore) I have found my palate much prefers flavours of my adopted country.

Now that is just me. I am sure other peoples experiences are different. But I totally agree with Marisawright and the comment "I do think that moving to a foreign country and then trying to live as if you're still in the UK is a recipe for unhappiness". One or two items certainly won't matter. But I have noticed that some people try to live 100% British in Australia or Spain or wherever, and it normally ends in unhappiness.