Things that are cheaper in the UK that we should bring!

Louzie

Best to just move over here and totally embrace all the new food tastes and brands etc.....

Learn to adapt and go with the flow

The worst thing you can do is constantly compare and keep doing exchange rates in your head!

It costs what it costs - the quicker you get use to it - the happier you will be.

That's true, but there is a very good reason why so many PIO members compare prices.

If you look at the threads about comparing costs, it's very often people researching the move and trying to work out whether they can afford it. Many, if not most, members aren't single like you - if they emigrate, it'll cost them thousands of pounds to move their household, so money will be tight - they must be sure they'll be able to feed the kids when they get to Oz! That means understanding salaries vs living costs. Same goes if they're moving back to the UK. So I have no problem with people comparing prices for that reason, or with people already in Oz who reply with comparisons to help them.

Of course there are some annoying people who just like to post to score points.

Edited by Marisawright

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand corrected. I don't use either, so would not know. The method I use is to put the roasting tin on the hob while the meat rests, add a good glug of wine and give a good scrape. Sometimes, I might then add a spoon of flour, but generally a good gravy doesn't need it. Then add some good stock, and reduce. Maybe a knob of butter to give some gloss at the end.

Me too. I just had to look up the ingredients of Bisto and I see the powder is just potato starch, wheat starch, yeast powder and onion powder - plus a few E numbers that you're probably better off without anyway! So perhaps those missing Bisto could mix their own?

Never truer words were spoken!

Best to just move over here and totally embrace all the new food tastes and brands etc.....

While I agree with you in theory, Vegemite tastes dreadful so I decided to stick with Marmite. It's ludicrously expensive here of course because you can only get it in tiny jars (labeled My Mate), but if you want luxury you have to pay for it. The only other items I haven't found an Aussie replacement for are Branston Pickle and Colman's Mint Sauce. Both widely available here. Incidentally Australian Mint Sauce contains so little mint it's amazing they're still allowed to put the word mint in the product's name.

While I agree with you in theory, Vegemite tastes dreadful so I decided to stick with Marmite. It's ludicrously expensive here of course because you can only get it in tiny jars (labeled My Mate), but if you want luxury you have to pay for it. The only other items I haven't found an Aussie replacement for are Branston Pickle and Colman's Mint Sauce. Both widely available here. Incidentally Australian Mint Sauce contains so little mint it's amazing they're still allowed to put the word mint in the product's name.

I'm the opposite in that here I've really got into vegemite ... i'm assured the "you spread it really thickly for a Pom" was a compliment. couldn't stand marmite

I'm the opposite in that here I've really got into vegemite ... i'm assured the "you spread it really thickly for a Pom" was a compliment. couldn't stand marmite

Well if you were spreading the Marmite as thick as Vegemite I'm not surprised you couldn't stand it. Even us Marmite lovers know you only use a smear. Vegemite on the other hand needs a doorstop and even then the flavour isn't right.

Well if you were spreading the Marmite as thick as Vegemite I'm not surprised you couldn't stand it. Even us Marmite lovers know you only use a smear. Vegemite on the other hand needs a doorstop and even then the flavour isn't right.

No, the tiniest bit of marmite literally made me heave and feel like I was going to vomit lol

making your own mint sauce is so so easy. And it tastes great. Easy to grow and use whenever.

I've never bought mint sauce - so easy to make - you can add the vinegar and seasoning to suit your taste.

Promite is better than either!

Me too. I just had to look up the ingredients of Bisto and I see the powder is just potato starch, wheat starch, yeast powder and onion powder - plus a few E numbers that you're probably better off without anyway! So perhaps those missing Bisto could mix their own?

Any instant gravy will do. I cook in it, so it adopts the flavour of the meat. Regular Bisto I only use about once a year. If I can somewhat duplicate instant gravy or buy any brand of gravy I'll be happy. I cook with this method regularly so it's not about trying to remain British (I've lived in Canada for almost 30 years), it's my way of life.

Any instant gravy will do. I cook in it, so it adopts the flavour of the meat. Regular Bisto I only use about once a year. If I can somewhat duplicate instant gravy or buy any brand of gravy I'll be happy. I cook with this method regularly so it's not about trying to remain British (I've lived in Canada for almost 30 years), it's my way of life.

Well, the potato starch and wheat starch are just there to provide thickening, which you can achieve in various ways:

http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-flour-cor-84371

So all you need is a stock cube (which will have onion and flavouring in it), add hot water and your choice of thickening, and you've got a gravy-like liquid.

Well, the potato starch and wheat starch are just there to provide thickening, which you can achieve in various ways:

http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-flour-cor-84371

So all you need is a stock cube (which will have onion and flavouring in it), add hot water and your choice of thickening, and you've got a gravy-like liquid.

Well now you all know how to make gravy all you need now is a good 'Yorkshire Pudding' to go with it:notworthy:

Well now you all know how to make gravy all you need now is a good 'Yorkshire Pudding' to go with it

I didn't say it was exactly the same as British gravy - I'm just saying that if it's being used to cook meat in, then stock with thickening agent would serve the same purpose and probably have more subtlety of flavour. Why knock yourself out hunting for Bisto if you can find an easier alternative?

Edited by Marisawright

I didn't say it was exactly the same as British gravy - I'm just saying that if it's being used to cook meat in, then stock with thickening agent would serve the same purpose and probably have more subtlety of flavour. Why knock yourself out hunting for Bisto if you can find an easier alternative?

We don't, if we have it then all well and good, Linda is a good cook so no real drama with gravy making, but today I'll be having HP sauce on my lunch, now no brown sauce here match's that, unless of course one can get hold of some 'Daddies':cool:

You can buy most English food in Australia. Either from your local supermarket or from one of the online stores.

You can certainly buy HP Sauce and Bistro Gravy Granules (both made in the UK) and a whole host of other imported foods in my local small independent supermarket in Sydney. And most big supermarkets like Woolworths and Coles have them too.

I have checked the UK prices and they are pretty much the same comparison price in Australia. Not hugely more expensive; as some people seem to think.

So not sure why you would want to fill your suitcase or container with them and cart them 10,000 odd miles just to save yourself the odd five pence (unless you are tighter than a fishes arse!)