Why the beach obsession?

starlight7

We are 10 minutes from beaches on each bay and 30 minutes from some surf beaches.

They all get used during the summer.

As too do the beaches near where we go for camping holidays.

Last week it was 30+ degrees. I left work at 3:30 and met the OH and kids at the beach. 15 minutes after leaving work we were all having a cooling dip in the bay.

An hour later we headed home and still had time to cook and eat dinner, shower and get the kids into bed by their usual time.

6 years after immigrating, we still love it.

That is pretty much my dream! Originally from Cornwall I really miss the coast these days and my children gave only been in a sea a couple of times in their lives (which seems odd to me!)

Beach nearby and Western Force season ticket are on the wish list! Just need to get my visa and move out to WA!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest66881

Beach is great, good for thought processes good for walking on great at getting hard skin down, one of the best ways to view life in general.

Better when it's just over the road really:wink:

Beach is great, good for thought processes good for walking on great at getting hard skin down, one of the best ways to view life in general.

Better when it's just over the road really:wink:

My dear old Mum stayed with us for 4 months when we lived near Mullaloo beach. She said after walking along the beach that her feet looked like a baby's, they were that soft :laugh: She loved that beach and also went swimming most days and even managed a bit of body surfing.

For the size of the landmass the UK has a lot of coast, the majority of people in the UK live no more than a day trip away and for so many our childhood memories are peppered with happy memories of the coast. The ubiquitous holiday from the UK is a beach holiday and that reinforces our association of the beach with pleasure and happiness (just like Pavlov dogs salivating to a bell)

Didn't really work for me as my childhood holidays tended to be to the UK countryside and I ached for 'proper' countryside, I can see the beauty of the beach and the bush but I don't feel it in my soul.

For the size of the landmass the UK has a lot of coast, the majority of people in the UK live no more than a day trip away and for so many our childhood memories are peppered with happy memories of the coast. The ubiquitous holiday from the UK is a beach holiday and that reinforces our association of the beach with pleasure and happiness (just like Pavlov dogs salivating to a bell)

Didn't really work for me as my childhood holidays tended to be to the UK countryside and I ached for 'proper' countryside, I can see the beauty of the beach and the bush but I don't feel it in my soul.

When I was a kid it was a half hour walk to the beach. Off we'd go with our bottle of orange squash, tomato sandwiches and buckets and spades. Of course you had to get the tides right as when the tide was out, it was REALLY out - as far away as the horizon. When I first came to Australia and visited the beach, the first question I asked was "when does the tide go out". :laugh:

When I was a kid it was a half hour walk to the beach. Off we'd go with our bottle of orange squash, tomato sandwiches and buckets and spades. Of course you had to get the tides right as when the tide was out, it was REALLY out - as far away as the horizon. When I first came to Australia and visited the beach, the first question I asked was "when does the tide go out". :laugh:

Yeah, I didn't realise tides didn't go in and out the same everywhere either :)

Speak for yourself. The first picture is lovely to look at but I'd be get bored pretty quickly, whereas I love the buzz of a city. Each to their own.

I suppose its what your used to and what you need out of life. For me Picture A is stunning, of course it is....but the two pictures lined up somehow remind me of that feeling you get when you go on holiday for 2 weeks somewhere nice and after about twelve days or so and your really looking forward to getting home. (Ie Pic B). It also reminds me when wed go to Batemans Bay and other neighbouring beaches and all I could feel was the loneliness and displacement and total longing for home. Huge empty beaches did nothing for me but magnified the boredom that I felt at that time of my life. When I'm older maybe I'll wish for the reverse!

Used to live in cornwall looking at this from my house

[ATTACH]28698[/ATTACH]

Now I live in bristol looking at this from my flat

[ATTACH]28699[/ATTACH]

Maybe the beach isn't for everyone but you can't deny its better to look at.

What beautiful Victorian architecture, the contrasts of the honey coloured carved stone work, contrasting with the kiln dried red clays and the hand dressed grey welsh slate, all blending so well with the metallic forms of the modern world. :wink:

PS. those green things look to be out of place!

I suppose its what your used to and what you need out of life. For me Picture A is stunning, of course it is....but the two pictures lined up somehow remind me of that feeling you get when you go on holiday for 2 weeks somewhere nice and after about twelve days or so and your really looking forward to getting home. (Ie Pic B). It also reminds me when wed go to Batemans Bay and other neighbouring beaches and all I could feel was the loneliness and displacement and total longing for home. Huge empty beaches did nothing for me but magnified the boredom that I felt at that time of my life. When I'm older maybe I'll wish for the reverse!

Exactly. Great for a restful holiday but not permanently.

You don't have to live in the bush or the city to not be near the beach. I live just 9km from the city in a (relatively) low fire risk area and still have plenty of trees around and this just 2 minutes walk from my front door.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28689[/ATTACH]

I can understand people that do a lot of beach based activities wanting to be near the beach but I personally prefer to be in an area with lots of trees and greenery. The beaches and beach suburbs here in Adelaide tend to be lower on trees than what I like in an area.

You can have that and be near the beach. The school park across from where we live doesn't look unlike that. There are 2 other parks in the suburb and some native bushland with bike riding trails, that's without counting the beach parks. All that is on the Ocean side of Marmion.

Lived on the beach for many years, and I mean on the beach - 60 seconds walk. Nice on the right night when you could go out and swim, or just float out there and look up at the sky (the Gulf waters can be as still as a mill pond, literally totally flat) so all that was beautiful. I prefer living in the hills - feels more like Australia to me.

I will be honest, other than walking the dog, we don't use the beach much. I walk out of my front door with him, onto the beach and we play ball to the end and walk back along the beach path. But, only go in the water rarely - twice this year and not once year before. But, I do like I can hear the waves, like to look at the water and love the sea breeze.

Also, here in WA it is hard to play with a dog off lead anywhere else.

The he other side for me, is I hate gum trees with a passion. Think they are the worst looking plant in the plant kingdom. But, that is just me and we all have our personal preferences and that is what makes life work for all of us overall.

I could live live back in a city, but, not Perth as just not willing to sacrifice what we have for the more expensive living (rent / mortgage).

Archived