Best places to go on holiday in the UK

Simple as that, I do have an agenda as we'll probably not go overseas this year so looking for suggestions - we're thinking maybe Somerset but nothing decided yet.

Beach or countryside? For both I'd do Cornwall or Devon. For countryside the Lake District. For city breaks would have to be London. Or stay somewhere in the countryside outside of London and do day trips to places like London, Legoland, Brighton etc.

How about West Wales? You could visit St David’s, Britain’s smallest city, some beautiful beaches, castles … www.visitwales.com/explore/west-wales

Failing that any part of Wales really - comfy cottages, mountain railways, waterfalls, and places like Bounce Below (an old converted mine that houses huge trampolines, walkways and slides), or St Fagans (the museum of Welsh life where history comes to life), lots and lots of things to do in a beautiful part of the UK whatever the weather if you plan it well. Tx

Where do you start? I'd second the Gower, Symonds Yat, Lyme Regis - so many beautiful places to see. One of my favourite places was the Scilly Islands - great if you're a nature lover and like boat trips. Always fancied Lundy Island too. Channel Islands... Sod the weather I can't wait till I'm planning UK holidays again!

Where do you start? I'd second the Gower, Symonds Yat, Lyme Regis - so many beautiful places to see. One of my favourite places was the Scilly Islands - great if you're a nature lover and like boat trips. Always fancied Lundy Island too. Channel Islands... Sod the weather I can't wait till I'm planning UK holidays again!

yay another vote for the channel islands lol :laugh:

How about somewhere close to home - Durness - one of my favourite places on the planet and a bit different as, as well has having to of the most stunning scenery the highlands can offer, it has one of the best beaches in the world and even a little hippy village next door that sells crafts and things

How about somewhere close to home - Durness - one of my favourite places on the planet and a bit different as, as well has having to of the most stunning scenery the highlands can offer, it has one of the best beaches in the world and even a little hippy village next door that sells crafts and things

I agree - that area is very beautiful. You could base yourself a bit further south around Kylesku so that you can go up the coast to Durness, Smoo Cave and Cape Wrath and and down the coast to Achiltibuie and the Summer Isles.

North Wales of course! Castles, mountains, lakes, ancient buildings e.g. jail in Beaumaris, seal watching, bird sanctuaries, ancient walled town, Chester near enough for shopping / sightseeing, ditto Liverpool for day out round museums & Tate gallery ... where was I ... oh yes, mountain railway, waterfalls, cable cars, tramway, first class hotels & spas, great range of dining, lighthouses, walks to suit all abilities, climbing, fishing, white water rafting, country mansions open to public, various events throughout the year inclucind food fairs, car rallies, international music festival, Victorian weekend ...

The weather isn't always that great ...

I always liked Bournemouth. Met my wife there on a holiday. Nice beach if there's a chance of good weather, lots of places to stay. I went there a few times with mates and before we went some friends thought it was a place where people went to retire. We had a ball and carried on going as a supplement to the couple of weeks in Spain or somewhere warm we used to manage.

I would take Scottishstacy's advice on board though, she worked in the channel Islands last year so must have liked it. Never been there myself but it's usually the furthest South you can get the more likely you are to get a bit of decent weather. I've had a few holidays in England and Wales when the weather has been awful and you end up spending twice as much, specially if you have kids.

I always liked Bournemouth. Met my wife there on a holiday. Nice beach if there's a chance of good weather, lots of places to stay. I went there a few times with mates and before we went some friends thought it was a place where people went to retire. We had a ball and carried on going as a supplement to the couple of weeks in Spain or somewhere warm we used to manage.

I would take Scottishstacy's advice on board though, she worked in the channel Islands last year so must have liked it. Never been there myself but it's usually the furthest South you can get the more likely you are to get a bit of decent weather. I've had a few holidays in England and Wales when the weather has been awful and you end up spending twice as much, specially if you have kids.

Channel Islands is a bit of hassle though. I think she wanted a driving holiday. I'm just trying to get people to go so they love it just as much as me lol :laugh:

We are in the same boat, how much of the UK and Europe can we see in 2 years, down to 18 months now.

We have two teenage kids

We have on our list:

edinburgh and Stirling - made the kids watch brave heart before going to Stirling!

hadrians wall on the way home

london - all the sights

liverpool - we live there so did a walking treasure hunt and loved it

Chester, do the whole Roman England thing

york - very quaint and probably never see anything else like it

cornwall - can never go here too many times!

Also need to pick a few castles in Wales for good measure

Then find all your distant family (via Facebook) and go visit them all - collect photos on the way!!

My fave UK hols, while the sun was shining.

were Poole, nice mix of beach and country, somewhere in Norfolk, can't remember the name, but its the place where the royal cavalier take the horses to the beach, Lake District, just for everthing. For a weekend away without kids, Birmingham ( it surprised me).

If going further north, then Dornoch ( where Madonna married Guy Ritchie), then onto Embo, with its own seperate state to Scotland and its own currency. Chillax central, rugged natural beauty, with lots of quirkyness.

ps, with the exception of Birmingham, these were all camping holidays.

Pps....I shall add Castleton in the Peak District ....good place summertime, especially if you enjoy hiking, or going down caves!! But lovely for a pre Xmas break in December

Archived