Bitten to death...........

Chortlepuss

I'm covered in deet and citronella, eat tons of garlic, not short on vitamin B. So sick of being chomped by mossies. Look like I've got chicken pox and sick of stinking of pesticide. Any hints and tips??

Can't help with stopping the biting, but I have my Mum send me Anthisan from the UK, only thing that helps me cope with the after effects.

We live in a notoriously Mozzie prone area but for the last two years we've been relatively mozzie free. I get huge big lumps when I get bit so I'm relieved .ive not had one bite in two years. ( wait for it I'll get mullered today now!) I use Aeroguard tropical but actually haven't worn it yet this year. Make sure you have no standing water anywhere in your yard. Stay in at dusk and watch out for the harmless little black ants they bite too. Took me a year or so before I realised what I thought was mozzie bites was in fact ants.

Guest littlesarah

We burn sandalwood sticks near where we're sitting - you can buy them in the supermarkets or online. I have to use repellent also (FWIW the scientific evidence shows that DEET is very effective, and most other things are less effective & vit B has no effect)

I'm covered in deet and citronella, eat tons of garlic, not short on vitamin B. So sick of being chomped by mossies. Look like I've got chicken pox and sick of stinking of pesticide. Any hints and tips??

My experience of many years in Australia is that the only thing that works is staying inside. We've lived in our present home in the hills since March and we've had mozzies every month except August. I went outside for sixty seconds at the weekend to put a plant on the patio and got bitten twice. To be honest, along with the barking dogs the mosquitoes are one of the biggest pains in the arse about Australian life and while the former could be dealt with in five seconds by the stroke of a pen, the latter are here to stay for eternity!

I can't help with preventing them as I get eaten alive too but the pharmacist said the best thing for the bites is... wait for it... haemorrhoid cream! It numbs the area (thus stopping the itch entirely) and reduces the swelling. I bought some and I have to say - he is spot on, it's much better than the usual bite creams. He said it was okay to use on kids from 6 months old too so the whole family benefits. If I have a really bad reaction I take an anti-histamine too.

I used a blob of white toothpaste on bites. Stops the itching and soothes.

I have never found a repellant that really works. If we do spend time outside in the evening, try burning mosquito coils (a bit like insense, you light it then blow it out and it continues burning letting of a llittle smoke and an incense like smell. (These definately reduce the number of mozzie buzzing round)

Move!

Aussie mozzies fly miles to feast on me but my DH never gets bitten in Aus. In UK he's getting bitten to death and I don't think I've had one in 3 years! (Famous last words of course!). I've not found anything that stops them swelling up and itching beyond endurance.

Right I've slopped on the pile cream, swallowed some vitamin B and will report back! I live by the river and am determined to enjoy evenings on my deck. I wish they'd bite my OH and not me, but I'm clearly very tasty. :(

They fly across my OH to get to me too. But he used to get bitten by everything back in England but the. Again so did I, like you said we must just be tasty :laugh:

My Mum always gets eaten alive........ She's been using Avon 'Skin so soft' Dry Oil Body Spray...... Not sure if the flavour has anything to do with it, we have woodland fresh at the moment.

Seems to work, even my 10 yr old has been using it as at one point we counted 50 bites on his legs (and he was scratching them....grrrrr!) Only got about 3 scabs left, and no new bites *eargerly crosses fingers*

Bushmans but wash your hands after or you might get an upset tum. It is pretty toxic.

This. Easy to see those poms who have been in Oz for some time

Stop eating or drinking anything sweet during the worst of the mozzie season.

I was never bitten even once in my life by midges in Scotland, but the mozzies on Heirisson island got to me. I'd just scoffed a pile of cherries so not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Archived