Better quality of life or Not?!

JonandVicky

I think that the question as to whether you will achieve a better quality of life depends more on you than the country in which you live. If you are the sort of person that gets out and enjoys life, then you will quite possibly be happy here, or anywhere else for that matter. If you are expecting a better quality of life from the day you land, then no, you probably won't find it.

Both the UK and Australia are first world countries, and there are plusses and minuses to living in both places. We had a perfectly lovely life in the UK, lived in a beautiful cottage in the countryside, OH's salary was good enough for me not to have to work, we used to go walking, go on holidays, had we remained in the UK we would probably have travelled extensively throughout Europe and the US.

We moved to Australia five and a half years ago. We struggled to start with, both financially and emotionally. It is a massive step to take, and although we were fully prepared to have to work hard to make things work, I think that it was a shock to both of us as to just how hard it would be. Having said that, we are now at the point where OH's salary+bonuses far exceed what he was paid in the UK, and I don't need to work (although I do). The pay off for that, of course, is that the cost of living is pretty high here and he works far harder - more hours during the week and also he gets less holiday. We live in a house we love, we still go walking, enjoy holidays within Australia and back to the UK, but have not travelled more than that due to the cost and lack of holiday time available. There are ticks and crosses on both sides of the argument. I am sure that we would have had every bit as nice a life in the UK, because our life is what we make it.

We are a fairly independent family, and always have been. We both come from tiny families, and lived away from them, so we never had much in the way of practical support from family. That is no different here. However, if you are at all close to your family you may find that you struggle to cope without the support that they can give. Like some of the other posters, I am concerned that you have been mulling it over for five years, but haven't done anything about it yet. There must be something that is giving you some pretty strong doubts, if you have been thinking about if for that long and have not come to a decision. I will be honest, it took OH and I about half a millisecond to decide. We wanted the adventure. It then took a further 14 months to get here (I was 6 months pregnant at the time we decided and we were renovating our house), but in all that time we never wavered from our decision.

I wish you luck.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One thing to consider is where you live now, your current experiences and context. I know people who have moved over from places they hated (Nottingham, Manchester, Crawley) who love it here - have better opportunities to buy bigger houses, think that it is safer here, and more to do. When I talk to people who love their home town/city (York, Cardiff, Brighton) and came over for a bit of an adventure, not to 'run away' from anything they tend to miss home more, and feel they left a greater quality of life back in UK with countryside, culture, easy travel, job opportunities etc). I love to walk, travel, learn new languages and skills, participate in community activity so my personal quality of life is poorer. I'm from Sussex, UK and (gasp) prefer the climate there - BUT did enjoy the hot temperatures in Brissie for a couple of years until I realised how constraining they were with my pale complexion. If I liked sun-tanning, surfing, riding, trail biking, was rich enough to buy a boat for sailing - I might say the opposite

I will say that Oz does offer amazing experiences - whale watching, rain-forest walks that can take your breath away and make you truly grateful for being able to live here. If you are rich, can afford the beach house, big yacht, international travel then I think it could be an incredible place to live. But the quality of life now is not higher for most people on average salaries.

Here's one poster who moved from a large house in Nottingham with a 1/3 acre garden!! It's not all a deprived area, which your post implies.

have bought a lovely house here, by a lake, so life was good there and is good here.

life is what you make it wherever you live, and I speak from experience having lived properly in 5 countries, including Africa in the 1960's and a Muslim country for 9 years before moving here. I agree with LKC if you are an independent family unit, and not too dependent on close family it is possibly easier to settle here.

2 of our children have followed us here in their 30's and love it and done well, definitely earning far more here than in UK, both well qualified, and had good success here. Oldest stayed in UK equally happy.

so as said so often before no one place fits all, but migrating isn't easy, and you will have rough times, and ultimately only you can decide if it's worth it.

ps even though we are retired I have been refreshing both my French and German at U3A classes, could learn Latin there Plus italian etc, if I wanted, so hopefully there is equal opportunity for younger posters. There might be an Alliance Francaise in most larger areas and often private lessons for other languages.

We live near Buderim where every club or activity that you could possibly want to belong to is up and running, whatever your age, so again where you live can determine what is accessible. There is a terrific community spirit here, just like where we last lived in UK.

so to emigrate be prepared for a different life, but don't pin your hopes on a better one.

Forgive my possibly jaundiced perception, but your whole post reeks of uncertainty, doubt and fear. Under such circumstances, do not even think about moving to another town, let alone across the world to another country. Set down for yourselves very clearly what it is you want, and why you want it. Get your real reasons, motives, emotions clearly laid out. Then look at where you want to be.

You don't need to move to Australia to find out what it's like to emigrate. Just move a few miles in the UK from your home, and you will experience many of the drawbacks. I moved seven and a half miles from the village where I grew up, to another village when I came back from Australia. For the first couple of years, I was always trying to go back (in time and place) but it's not the same when you cannot just walk to the shops. Eventually, I made my life in the new village to the extent that is where I say I am from now.

Move a hundred miles away, to somewhere the people have a different accent, and with it, seemingly different attitudes, and it really will seem like emigrating. Coming from the south of England, people from the north seem almost more 'foreign' than Aussies!

As far as comparing Australia to the UK in terms of lifestyle, I can't do it. I 'live' in Australia. I 'think' like native-born Aussies now. I still love my EPL and reading the Pommie papers on line, but, Pommie accent appart, I AM an Aussie. That is what happens to most of us, after a few years here. We go native!?

As I said in my previous post, once the 'seed' has been 'planted' in your mind, you are already thinking differently from your fellow Brits. Of course, you have a great life in the UK. Of course London and the Continent is on your doorstep. Of course, the UK has marvellous countryside, as good as anything in Australia, maybe better. I miss The New Forest every day.

Most of us come here, and that 'seed' grows into a flourishing new (gum?) tree, but for a minority, it never even becomes a 'shoot', or if it does, it soon withers! (Sorry for those, what are they? 'Metaphores?)

If you think you can draw up some kind of debit and credit balance sheet - UK versus Australia - you can do that to a point, but there's also an 'X' factor. I don't know any other way to put it.

Hi Que sera,sera

I am an electrician and my partner is a beauty therapist, I am currently going through the fist stages of having my qualifications assessed by vetassess and will get this under my belt before applying for our visa.

I think as an electrician you could do well ( bear in mind you will need Aus licences) Sorry if you already know that but some seem to not and end up here and unable to work. The work seems to fluctuate here, I know up on the Gorgon project they were desparate for sparkies. Its Fifo which certainly isn't for everyone but the wages on this project are through the roof . Our lifestyle is great, but obviously it does depend on each person. I wish you luck, its a big step but for many us included the best thing we have ever done.

Here's one poster who moved from a large house in Nottingham with a 1/3 acre garden!! It's not all a deprived area, which your post implies.

have bought a lovely house here, by a lake, so life was good there and is good here.

I am so glad you posted before I did as could not believe what I was reading at that condescending post you have commented upon! We are a couple, one from Manchester the other from Nottingham and we had a very nice life in the UK too thank you very much Chortlepuss. We have the ability to make a great life for ourselves wherever we are, unlike you perhaps CP..? We lived in SE for a while and out chances of buying a big house in a gorgeous location in either of our home towns was far, far higher. We think our home towns would be ideal places to maintain a base in one day.

life is what you make it wherever you live, .

I really like the parts of Nottingham and Manchester that I have visited - I wouldn't live in Crawley, but of all places mentioned I find that Crawley is similar to many places in Oz..(minus the sunshine). My point was that if you love where you're from - whether it's Wolverhampton, Wigan or Windsor then improved 'Quality of life' is perhaps more elusive... mates from a rough area of Manchester said they suffered multiple break ins at their old place - they find it more secure in what I would view to be a pretty boring suburb of Brisbane. I know people living in nice areas of Manchester who would find Brisbane too dull. It's horses for courses really....

I grew up in Blackpool, that was a deprived area... I have spent the last 3 years in Nottingham and whilst it has its pockets it certainly doesn't appear to be a deprived area in any sense. We also had the largest back garden that I have ever seen in my entire life, overlooking the beautiful Nottinghamshire countryside. Everywhere you go round here there are the tallest, mature trees we have ever seen. The parks for children are always brand new, clean and far larger than anything we have ever seen. The country parks (lots to choose from) are also far superior and we never bore of the choice available to us. The city centre in my eyes offers just as much choice as Manchester ever did. The local council ensure that the market square area is always bustling with something going on, right now its the City Seaside Beach theme, where sand has been imported, seaside rides, food stalls and water activities.

Until we moved to Nottingham we were desperate to emigrate, it is Nottingham that has given us doubts at times as it is a lovely city. I work with some of the people who are deprived in Nottingham and yes they struggle, but I don't feel that's anymore than any other city or village anywhere in the UK.

I grew up in Blackpool, that was a deprived area... I have spent the last 3 years in Nottingham and whilst it has its pockets it certainly doesn't appear to be a deprived area in any sense. We also had the largest back garden that I have ever seen in my entire life, overlooking the beautiful Nottinghamshire countryside. Everywhere you go round here there are the tallest, mature trees we have ever seen. The parks for children are always brand new, clean and far larger than anything we have ever seen. The country parks (lots to choose from) are also far superior and we never bore of the choice available to us. The city centre in my eyes offers just as much choice as Manchester ever did. The local council ensure that the market square area is always bustling with something going on, right now its the City Seaside Beach theme, where sand has been imported, seaside rides, food stalls and water activities.

Until we moved to Nottingham we were desperate to emigrate, it is Nottingham that has given us doubts at times as it is a lovely city. I work with some of the people who are deprived in Nottingham and yes they struggle, but I don't feel that's anymore than any other city or village anywhere in the UK.

eh up me duck!!!!

I love meeting people with a proper Notts accent! Still cant get used to the 'Me duck' statement! Hubby says I have developed a Notts accent twang. I used to say No (prounounced 'now') now I say no (prounounced 'narw'). lol

family from Notts so grew up with 'Me Duck' - But people still think I'm a bit strange when I ask them to 'put the big light on' - Is this from Notts?

I don't think your background is a huge factor in this.

My wife comes from a very privileged background - think lots of live in maids and other staff. She settled here very easy. I come from Middlesbrough, where I spent time homeless and living in some of the worst council estates in the uk. But, I was the one that struggled to settle.

Before we moved here, we lived in Highfields Leicester. A pretty rough area - red light area and lots of problems. I still miss Highfields.

I don't think your background is a huge factor in this.

My wife comes from a very privileged background - think lots of live in maids and other staff. She settled here very easy. I come from Middlesbrough, where I spent time homeless and living in some of the worst council estates in the uk. But, I was the one that struggled to settle.

Before we moved here, we lived in Highfields Leicester. A pretty rough area - red light area and lots of problems. I still miss Highfields.

Absolutely agree - it's how you feel about where you left that counts - I'm not from anywhere grand, but I love it and miss it - makes you feel more unsettled however nice your place in Oz is. If you hate where you're from (and I've met a few who do and would never go back to the UK ), then I think it makes it easier to settle here.

We have been mulling over moving to Australia for about 5yrs, a lot of people say we wouldn't be better off financially but our quality of life would be so much better. I worry that I'd be working every hour and my partner will be on her own with the kids with no other support. We know we would have to put ourselves out there but how willing are people, taking in new people into there community?

I'd say financially its about evens...but I guess that depends where you lived in the UK and where you move to in Oz. However it depends if you can live without family and friends. I thought I'd cope, however I have found the trade off isn't worth it, no social life to speak of and no one to share the dream with (except hubby and kids of course). The kids might be better off in the long run (less crime etc)...but id say my life isn't better despite the fact its beautiful here. Australia is Marmite...some love it...some hate it. I personally didn't realise the emotional and financial gamble.

Agree fully with Quoll as always on this particular subject. Why not take a year out and drive around Australia staying at places at will if looking for an adventure? I don't mean to sound high and mighty but I do believe those more intellectually inclined tend to fare far better off in Europe. A far more challenging and rewarding environment. Those in the trades area may do better here in Australia.

As Quoll mentioned in her particular case the risk also of the kids moving on after studies can be a big risk as well. We know many couples, if not most where at least one of the kids has gone elsewhere. Not necessary overseas, but that too, but Perth to Melbourne seems rather popular. Never seen it as a better life for kids myself and had childhood in both countries. Couples going separate ways over time not too uncommon either.

Just be aware of the astounding costs that can be involved with modern day life Down Under.

You might not mean to but you usually manage to do it flag.

I was surprised that a lot of the early posts were a bit negative. I guess it depends what you are looking for in life. Reading a lot of Lady Rainicorns posts I have a feeling that we are much alike and came for much the same things. We came out in 92, so a long time before they came out. For some reason it didn't work out for them but worked out splendidly for us.

A lot of people hate the term "living the dream" but it's as close to it as I could have imagined before we came. We hadn't been before, had only read and researched as much as we could in the pre-internet days, spent a year renting till we found a suburb we liked, wanted to be close to the Ocean and a good beach (walking distance so the visitors could walk down).

I find a great villagey feel to the suburb we are in, we have a lot of friends, mostly met through the surf club and the kids, with the same interests. Spend a lot of time at the beach and have never tired of it. Love the weather, it was out number one reason for moving. Our kids have gone through school here and done well. Our eldest is a time served sparkie doing FIFO,7 on 7 off so good money, loves travelling and makes the most of the money he earns. Youngest has autism and had lots of help going through school and has a job.

I've no idea what you do for a living but expect the same sort of salary, work hours that you do in the UK, unless you fancy doing some FIFO work and are lucky enough to get some. There are good and bad points with that too though, never fancied it myself.

Good luck.

I couldn't live in Canberra, it has nothing of what I came to Aus for.

Ok. Quality of life question- that's totally dependent on who you are and what you value for starters. Do people still need to work (most both adults), yes? do bills still need paying and housework doing and does life just take on the same sort of shape just 10,000 miles away? yes. Does the sun shine more? yes- but like others have said, it's not your 'laying near the Med sea in a bikini' type sun- it's really effing powerful and you can't even sit in it- i got burnt this week and it's mid bloody winter. your kids can't stay out in it for long without being slathered in sunscreen and UV protective clothing. last summer I spent 3 weeks holed up indoors during our heatwave, and the school was shut too due to bush fires and broken air con. No different to being snowed in. things i love about this country also drive me mad like the UK did. i love the space and smaller population but that too brings it's own issues. Community- less of! No pubs to walk to, often a case of suburban 'shut down' at 6pm, i've been here 2 years (Aus 9) and only just met some neighbours- very lonely often, ended up finally making friends with other ex pats- have made a lot of effort but don't kid yourself that it's the same. at least, it does take a really long time. I don't think quality of life is better. you have to fly everywhere, or drive immense distances, no rail connections, and if you are on a moderate income like we are it's really insanely expensive. that being said, i've had 9 great years here and have seen most of the country. i don't regret that. but i truly hand on heart do regret each day taking my child away from her extended family. others don't mind leaving theres, but for me, it's a no brainer what's more important. i don't mean to be negative. there's a lot to be said about adventure, just really think it through. it does cost a lot to get here after all. and you can't just pop back each year. being a migrant is bloody hard work- as adults you forget how much effort is required to 'start again' with social circles and building up a support network. i still don't have much of one even now and find it impossible with a family. hard choices, keep your house if you can in the uk, and give it a go, but prepare yourself for a rollercoaster......

That's rubbish, we spend hours on the beach and have done since we got here. Never stayed in the house due to it being too hot. If we lived in land a bit maybe, but near the Ocean there are cooling breezes and if it's hot, jump in the Ocean for 10 minutes.

If it's going to worry you putting sunscreen on your kids then it will be a problem. I like the use of the "slathering" makes it sound a really onerous task that takes hours and the kids hate or something. Really you get used to doing it to young kids and then the kids do it themselves as they get older. There are loads of factor 30, waterproof sunscreens that last for hours without having to re-apply.

It is possible to get burned in winter yes, the sun is out and it was 24 degrees on Saturday. I've not started wearing sunscreen yet though and was down the beach all morning Saturday, as was the youngest and my wife. None of us burned.

We have a couple of pubs in walking distance, one of them very popular, right opposite the beach, coffee shop underneath, park across the road. I think we are on an average income for what we do but the lifestyle we have here we couldn't have in the UK. Maybe somewhere like the Algarve, if we could get jobs.

We've never felt the need to pop back and didn't go back for 13 years when we first got here. Only then under duress as everyone had been here at least once, it was also the in-laws golden wedding. It's expensive and there are loads of other places to go to before we would want a holiday back in the UK.

This is something we are asking ourselves after being here just over a year now.

BETTER of quality of life...no (for us) different (but still good) yes!

My wife earns more (as she works more) but things cost more so percentage of wages left over each week/month we are about the same , maybe slightly worse off here but not enough to make us broke, and the beach is free so all in all finances are the same for us.

One thing we have noticed is how much our family time together has decreased! The one thing most people move here for.

This is due to the cost of childcare being so high here that my wife works most weekends (not all weekend but either 1 day or 1 night) while I have the kids and then she will be off in the week to have the kids to save so many days at kindy.

Im not one for benefits and support my own children but in the UK they offer 15 hours a week free childcare (equivalent to 2 full days) and then our third days care only cost us £12 per day....less than 1 hours wage equivalent!

My wife only worked (financially only needed to work) 2 days/nights a week in the UK but here she has to work 3 to cover the same bills.

Bear in mind shes a midwife so earns good money in both countries...so the extra days work per week needed here highlights the higher cost of living.

For us things are very black and white, we have given up family and friends to gain the sunshine and beach.

We are not materialistic people but while we are comparing things, our houses here and in the UK are about the same/serve the same purpose. We go out as a couple MUCH less due to the lack of family/trusted friends to baby sit and back home we had 2 nice cars, here we have normal cars (but they serve the same purpose) but just pointing out our situations.

We always said we would do 2 years and thats still the plan and although theres nothing 'wrong' here to send us home theres also nothing important here to keep us.

Its a huge decision one that you have to make/experience yourself and all the advice in the world will not prepare you or can simulate being here...its just a big thing to do to find out.

We had no reason/need to move here other than curiosity, we werent moving to try and better any single aspect (work, finances, etc) which meant we didnt come with any expectations to therefore 'fail' or 'suceed'

Good luck whatever you choose

I don't agree with the comment about isolation, you can feel isolated anywhere if you have that mindset. It's like you have neighbours in Australia like anywhere, in fact you could say people are very welcoming here, as you have a common bond with fellow ex-pats. There is just too much fun to be had here if you want to do anything, its possible. To me if you want to live your life in the here and now, Australia offers that, every weekend can be an adventure. If you live in UK travel is an option but really people live for those weeks out of the UK in my opinion.

You might not mean to but you usually manage to do it flag.

I was surprised that a lot of the early posts were a bit negative. I guess it depends what you are looking for in life. Reading a lot of Lady Rainicorns posts I have a feeling that we are much alike and came for much the same things. We came out in 92, so a long time before they came out. For some reason it didn't work out for them but worked out splendidly for us.

A lot of people hate the term "living the dream" but it's as close to it as I could have imagined before we came. We hadn't been before, had only read and researched as much as we could in the pre-internet days, spent a year renting till we found a suburb we liked, wanted to be close to the Ocean and a good beach (walking distance so the visitors could walk down).

I find a great villagey feel to the suburb we are in, we have a lot of friends, mostly met through the surf club and the kids, with the same interests. Spend a lot of time at the beach and have never tired of it. Love the weather, it was out number one reason for moving. Our kids have gone through school here and done well. Our eldest is a time served sparkie doing FIFO,7 on 7 off so good money, loves travelling and makes the most of the money he earns. Youngest has autism and had lots of help going through school and has a job.

I've no idea what you do for a living but expect the same sort of salary, work hours that you do in the UK, unless you fancy doing some FIFO work and are lucky enough to get some. There are good and bad points with that too though, never fancied it myself.

Good luck.

I couldn't live in Canberra, it has nothing of what I came to Aus for.

I certainly do mean it and know it to be true but hardly revealing as many have expressed similar while even more, far more don't care. That's fine as well. I certainly wouldn't live in Canberra either. Odd how you connect a Public Service city with that but there you are.It does sound naïve to my ears 'living the dream', but probably due to Australia never being remotely a dream to me, having lived here when young.

That expression would be more apt perhaps when went to live in France, learned the language, worked in a well paid job, had a great apartment and location, social life, but still more something wanted to do than 'living a dream. ' If I had to describe a Living the Dream lifestyle it would to be unburdened, free to move at will to experience and enjoy where ever and whatever in the world takes my fancy.

No little like UK in work mode. But it's been more than two decades since worked in UK and only work here part time and am thankful the resources are there not to have to bust a gut working and still manage to travel. Just by luck arrived here at a time when prices were low. I would not be able to nor attempt to repeat the ease of things in 99/00 with regards to the purchase of housing for one thing.

The beach is nice and do spend a fair amount of time there and don't stress about the heat but not as unique as it may sound. The warm days in winter are though, and we spent time yesterday at a beach and yes easy enough to swim, though few were.

I have never found a villagey feel to anywhere I have lived in Australia and not sure I'd want something intrusive or knowing one's business. (reminds me of a village once lived in Ireland) but nor the complete suburban withdrawal thing of electronic garages and cars coming and going. Obviously with kids your life would vary, but hopefully regardless you'll go on enjoying what is available to you

I don't agree with the comment about isolation, you can feel isolated anywhere if you have that mindset. It's like you have neighbours in Australia like anywhere, in fact you could say people are very welcoming here, as you have a common bond with fellow ex-pats. There is just too much fun to be had here if you want to do anything, its possible. To me if you want to live your life in the here and now, Australia offers that, every weekend can be an adventure. If you live in UK travel is an option but really people live for those weeks out of the UK in my opinion.

The isolation is impacting to many and is a physical thing not necessary a mindset. In other words it is for real. The ability to drive/bus/train/to another city or even country in a short time is hardly a fragment of imagination.

It may not be a consideration or even an experience of yours but real for many.

Anywhere can be an adventure but some places due to availability, cost and complete difference even more so. The here and now applies everywhere. I personally found London far more an adventure if you want to describe it on those terms. The hurly burly and un predictability around the corner, the choice, the people, the gigs, vastly different in possibilities. Not all UK so fortunate I can accept.

That's rubbish, we spend hours on the beach and have done since we got here. Never stayed in the house due to it being too hot. If we lived in land a bit maybe, but near the Ocean there are cooling breezes and if it's hot, jump in the Ocean for 10 minutes.

If it's going to worry you putting sunscreen on your kids then it will be a problem. I like the use of the "slathering" makes it sound a really onerous task that takes hours and the kids hate or something. Really you get used to doing it to young kids and then the kids do it themselves as they get older. There are loads of factor 30, waterproof sunscreens that last for hours without having to re-apply.

It is possible to get burned in winter yes, the sun is out and it was 24 degrees on Saturday. I've not started wearing sunscreen yet though and was down the beach all morning Saturday, as was the youngest and my wife. None of us burned.

We have a couple of pubs in walking distance, one of them very popular, right opposite the beach, coffee shop underneath, park across the road. I think we are on an average income for what we do but the lifestyle we have here we couldn't have in the UK. Maybe somewhere like the Algarve, if we could get jobs.

We've never felt the need to pop back and didn't go back for 13 years when we first got here. Only then under duress as everyone had been here at least once, it was also the in-laws golden wedding. It's expensive and there are loads of other places to go to before we would want a holiday back in the UK.

Sure, you can sit in it, if you want to end up like those shrunken old Aussies I've seen...also, i'm only 36 and have had to have 2 dodgy skin cancers removed- and i don't think the full effects of constantly using sunscreen have been fully investigated. They use very heavy chemicals and people rely on it way too much here instead of staying out of it. i enjoy my ten minutes in the sun, but it's not worth the risk long term.

I dont know where you live but believe me, Adelaide had days of 46 this year and you can't go out in it, unless you're nuts. obviously you live somewhere better than me. i have no sea breeze and souless 'pubs' and I know I'm not alone in my experience.

I dont know where you live but believe me, Adelaide had days of 46 this year and you can't go out in it, unless you're nuts. obviously you live somewhere better than me. i have no sea breeze and souless 'pubs' and I know I'm not alone in my experience.

Some of us have to be out in it, because we work outside, where not all nuts either. I was in Adelaide during those 46deg days, and laying hot asphalt too, no real problem with it, long sleeves long pants (trousers) extra wide brim and neck cover on the hard hat a water bottle and Bob's your uncle.

Some of us have to be out in it, because we work outside, where not all nuts either. I was in Adelaide during those 46deg days, and laying hot asphalt too, no real problem with it, long sleeves long pants (trousers) extra wide brim and neck cover on the hard hat a water bottle and Bob's your uncle.

Yep, I've said it before and I'll say it again, the way some folks go on about the heat I'm surprised that our major cities aren't barren wastelands with inhabitants living below ground............all those folk working out doors must be brain dead..............they're not asbestos robots are they?

Sure, you can sit in it, if you want to end up like those shrunken old Aussies I've seen...also, i'm only 36 and have had to have 2 dodgy skin cancers removed- and i don't think the full effects of constantly using sunscreen have been fully investigated. They use very heavy chemicals and people rely on it way too much here instead of staying out of it. i enjoy my ten minutes in the sun, but it's not worth the risk long term.

Mate if you and the family are only going to spend 10 minutes in the sun at a time you are going to have a sorry life in Adelaide and just about any other City in Aus.

Archived