Our australia dream is no more...

ItchyFeet76

Well, the title kind of says it all. Basically we got my husband's skills assessment through a couple weeks back and, despite it being 'successsful' (in their eyes, not ours) they deducted so many years' work experience, leaving him with the equivalent of just a diploma and thus not enough points to get PR :-( We've weighed up the pros and cons and have decided that, with 3 kids and limited financial funds (unless with dug into the equity of our house - which we are loathe to do) it would be too risky to go on a 457. Yes, we could hopefully get PR after 2 years via the transitional route, but a lot can happen in 2 years. We initially were prepared to go on a 457 but then, when we thought we stood a chance of getting PR, we got our hopes up and started acknowledging the risks of a 457 more so than if PR definitely wasn't on the cards... Also, the hassle of selling the house (8 weeks on the market and 3 viewings...) at the exact time to start a job in Aus (sell too early and you're homeless; sell too late and hubby has to live in a youth hostel down under whilst also paying the UK mortgage from his Aussie wages) and costs of making the move (£15k-£20k each way - doubled if / when we came back) made us realise that it just isn't viable. Financially or logistically. We're absolutely gutted as it's been 10 years in the making, but we know we've tried and so that will prevent us from regretting not having done it in years to come...

However. Seeing as the house is already on the market and we're all psyched up to move.... we've decided that, if we can't have our Aussie adventure, we need to reassess our current life and do something that will make us happy to stay in the UK - possibly not as good as Aus, but hopefully better than what we currently have (not that our lives are bad, of course, but we just feel they could be better). So we've decided to try and move up north to the country and have a more rural lifestyle - somewhere with a big garden where we can have a dog, some chickens / ducks, room to grow some veggies, etc. and with lots of nice scenery on our doorstep. We currently live in a lovely market town but the only nice fields belong to farmers and you can't walk through them - you have to drive to local country parks to get 'in the country'. So if we were able to live somewhere like the Peak District then our weekends would hopefully hold more than just coffee shops and local playgrounds. It may be a pipe dream (like Oz, I guess) but it'd give us the chance to have a different lifestyle and to feel like we're doing something with our lives. We want the kids to explore our country and spend more time outdoors (in the rain if necessary!) - not stuck inside on their tablets.

I just thought I'd update our situation (not that anyone would have missed me, I'm sure, but just to provide a positive spin on our negative situation, incase anyone else was in a similar position).

Best of luck to anyone still trying to make the move, and I hope our reasons (for not making the move) don't deter anyone still focused on a move down under. We were fully aware of the positives and negatives of the move before we spent all our money on skills assessments, etc. but only when we received the results did we have to make a final decision on whether or not we were prepared to risk it all on a temporary visa. For us, it wasn't worth it, as our lives aren't that bad that we're desperate to make the move (though the sun, sea and wombats were a pretty big draw for me!)...for others, their lives in the UK might be such that a temporary visa is better than nothing.

Follow your dreams and be true to yourselves, but respect others' decisions about what they feel is right for them.

I-F :-)

PS - Awesome forum and I'll still be checking the MBTUK forum every now and then!

There can also be a sense of peace that comes with making a decision and hope you will find this soon. I agree that I would not risk everything on a 457 visa, some are happy to but it is not for me either. I cant remember your back story, but I am going to assume you have already done the hunt for points as thoroughly as is possible.

So good luck with your move up north!

Oh I-F I'm sorry to hear that. :-(

When we were unable to get to Oz 2 yrs ago we too decided to do something else so we moved counties and it's been wonderful (although we still hope for Oz one day). I hope moving to a different area works the same for you. Do keep us posted.

I think you are being very sensible. Aus is fine but its not everything. Kids on tablets happens here too, never see children playing where I live and I live in large land. Its just modern life. Parks and coffee is all that a lot of people in our big cities have as well. Sometimes the dream is not the reality. I have nieces in Norfolk, Lincolnshire and Northumberland and all live in the country and all are not intending to move to Aus :laugh:

Hi Tappers2Oz, I see you're in Cornwall - we actually considered moving there but, although my husband is home-based, he sometimes has to work away and it's a bit too remote for him to get to clients :-( You're lucky to live in such a lovely part of the UK though. I tell you what - having reconciled ourselves to staying, it's amazing how much more you appreciate your own country. You start to appreciate the scenery and landscapes in areas you've never visited (but hope to, one day...); you stop taking for granted the NHS (although it isn't 'free', it is a damn sight cheaper than the USA or Aus! - at the moment, anyway... depending on whether or not they start charging for appointments, of course!). And I never thought I'd feel so grateful for all our £ shops (and Waitrose - on the other end of the scale! - which I'd miss terribly if we emigrated!). In fact, we've been researching potential destinations by searching for Caffe Nero / Costa Coffees and Waitrose stores! Sad, eh ;-)

Hi Tappers2Oz, I see you're in Cornwall - we actually considered moving there but, although my husband is home-based, he sometimes has to work away and it's a bit too remote for him to get to clients :-( You're lucky to live in such a lovely part of the UK though. I tell you what - having reconciled ourselves to staying, it's amazing how much more you appreciate your own country. You start to appreciate the scenery and landscapes in areas you've never visited (but hope to, one day...); you stop taking for granted the NHS (although it isn't 'free', it is a damn sight cheaper than the USA or Aus! - at the moment, anyway... depending on whether or not they start charging for appointments, of course!). And I never thought I'd feel so grateful for all our £ shops (and Waitrose - on the other end of the scale! - which I'd miss terribly if we emigrated!). In fact, we've been researching potential destinations by searching for Caffe Nero / Costa Coffees and Waitrose stores! Sad, eh ;-)

Come to Northumberland - plenty of these here in our little town, and as much countryside to explore as you can wish for! Newcastle's close by for city and culture, the coast is gorgeous, London is around 3 hours away by train and you can fly direct to lots of places from the airport - Emirates fly direct to Dubai...

And there aren't too many people :wink:

IF sorry it hasn't worked out for you. I'm in the same dilema.

Been trying since 2008. Nearly got in end of 2012.

I'm 47 in September. Calling it a day at 48, September 2015.

I can take my pension at 50 if I want and if I move across any later than 48 then I'll be working to the death. I'm nearer retiring between 50 and 55 and I can apply for a Retirement Visa for Australia at 54. Just depends on what my kids are doing.

It is disappointing though when things don't come off the way you would like them to.

I think you have made a very wise decision. Australia is a great country, but so is the UK. Yes, we have the sunshine, but the cost of the move buys one heck of a lot of holiday time in the sun!

People say that Australia is great for kids, but I grew up in the countywide in the north of England with the sort of lifestyle you are now aiming for and have to say I had the most incredible lifestyle. In fact, if we had children, we would probably move back to the UK to give them the things I had as a kid.

Sorry to hear that your plans have changed, but what a positive person you are. I wish you the very best of luck with whatever you decide to do next - and please do still visit the forum.

So sorry IF , but I think you are making the right decision , I think you have thrown enough time at it . Go live your life and never look back .

if I ever moved back , I said to my oh , although I couldn't have a pool , I would have a Bali hut built , with built in seats , a fire , and jacuzzi , lol .

i would have my garage converted into a games/ bar area , and have a conservatory put on the back for my parties , lol .

If I put my hand on my heart , I would say you making the right decision , all the best to you and your family . :wink:

So we've decided to try and move up north to the country and have a more rural lifestyle - somewhere with a big garden where we can have a dog, some chickens / ducks, room to grow some veggies, etc. and with lots of nice scenery on our doorstep. !

I bet there's at least half a dozen posters on this forum who'd consider that to be a dream goal in it's own. I think you do right to draw a line under one plan and move on to the next.

And, don't forget, even though PR looks unlikely, you're not banned from visiting! Bring your kids on a fly drive holiday. You'll see far more of Oz than most of us who live here.

Sounds like you are being very pragmatic and good on you! I can recommend our neck of the woods - only problem is that it's very expensive to buy down here and there aren't any hills but you could do worse than consider East Anglia. The world's your oyster really! Good Luck!

@caramac - Yes I quite fancied Northumberland, but it's a bit far north for us... I think the Peak District is as far north as we'd like to go (otherwise we'd have considered the Lake District, too) - only a couple of hours away from our parents, not that much colder (unless you go to Buxton, of course, which is 4 degrees colder than everywhere else!), still bbq weather in summer (but decent snowfall in winter), and if / when we do sell and want to go back for a 2nd viewing on a property, we can be there and back within a day (so no hotel (x 2 rooms as we have 3 kids) or meal costs for staying away.

@ Macdonald067 - Oh dear, I do feel for you... my husband will be 41 in October and that was also a concern for us... We'd initially planned on only staying for a few years (as it was just meant to be an adventure...something on our bucket list) and he was worried about returning to the UK as a 45-year-old and trying to slot back into the workplace (plus trying to find a job that started when he arrived back - and selling the house in Aus to coincide with our flights home...). Good luck with your plans - if they're meant to be, I'm sure it'll all work out for you :-)

@VERYSTORMY - Yes, that's just what we want to do - give the kids the chance at living in the country. I've always had dogs and horses (until I had kids, lol) and really miss them. I don't think a horse would be on the cards (perhaps a donkey if the garden was big enough, hehe) but I've always wanted to grow my own veggies, have chickens or ducks, and be more self-sufficient. Being in a brand new house (with a very sloping lawn) on a new estate isn't really conducive to these aspirations, however!

Sounds like you are being very pragmatic and good on you! I can recommend our neck of the woods - only problem is that it's very expensive to buy down here and there aren't any hills but you could do worse than consider East Anglia. The world's your oyster really! Good Luck!

Yes, that is a lovely part.... but unfortunately I don't think we'd feel like we'd changed anything (other than the location and house)... It needs to be somewhere that's no more expensive than where we currently are (and we always thought our town was overpriced and that we'd be able to upsize by moving away...not the case at all!) - Derbyshire seems a little cheaper, although Buxton / Ashbourne / Bakewell are obviously very pricey. We considered Yorkshire, too, but again it's a bit further for recce trips (can't nip there and back in a day), bit colder, and we're more familiar with Derbyshire so think we're best to rule out that area first before moving onto a completely different one. There's so much to consider (almost as much as Australia!) - crime rates, school Ofsted ratings, proximity to rail stations and motorways, planning applications (lots of new houses planned for the Peaks....oo er!), potential for fracking (more a problem in the south of England, I think), weather, places to visit / things to do on a weekend, etc.

Well good luck and I am sure with your positive outlook you will find somewhere really nice to live. I think I would be looking South rather than North because of the weather!

Yeah we did consider the South (it would be nice to be closer to Dover so we could just nip across the Channel on the weekend and stock up the wine cooler!), but it's so much more expensive because you're in the commuter belt (unless you go to Devon / Cornwall, but they're too far from big cities for my husband's work) and we prefer the national parks up north (the South Downs are beautiful but are going to be fracked to death, if you believe the Telegraph...!). Exmoor and Dartmoor - again, beautiful places, but a bit remote if my husband has to go see a client.

@caramac - Yes I quite fancied Northumberland, but it's a bit far north for us... I think the Peak District is as far north as we'd like to go (otherwise we'd have considered the Lake District, too) - only a couple of hours away from our parents, not that much colder (unless you go to Buxton, of course, which is 4 degrees colder than everywhere else!), still bbq weather in summer (but decent snowfall in winter), and if / when we do sell and want to go back for a 2nd viewing on a property, we can be there and back within a day (so no hotel (x 2 rooms as we have 3 kids) or meal costs for staying away.

@ Macdonald067 - Oh dear, I do feel for you... my husband will be 41 in October and that was also a concern for us... We'd initially planned on only staying for a few years (as it was just meant to be an adventure...something on our bucket list) and he was worried about returning to the UK as a 45-year-old and trying to slot back into the workplace (plus trying to find a job that started when he arrived back - and selling the house in Aus to coincide with our flights home...). Good luck with your plans - if they're meant to be, I'm sure it'll all work out for you :-)

@VERYSTORMY - Yes, that's just what we want to do - give the kids the chance at living in the country. I've always had dogs and horses (until I had kids, lol) and really miss them. I don't think a horse would be on the cards (perhaps a donkey if the garden was big enough, hehe) but I've always wanted to grow my own veggies, have chickens or ducks, and be more self-sufficient. Being in a brand new house (with a very sloping lawn) on a new estate isn't really conducive to these aspirations, however!

I agree with you - it's too far north for me too (I'd rather be in Norfolk even though I prefer the countryside, hills and scenery here), but it's so easy to get anywhere from here and, being on the eastern side of the country is drier than the Peaks or Cumbria. I come from Cheshire and will always remember that damp chill that gets to your bones! However, as others have said, there are so many lovely places to choose from which will be closer to your family. I love Shropshire and Herefordshire too. Beautiful counties which aren't overpopulated, or too expensive, and they have hills!

Good luck with choosing - it's an exciting adventure! :yes:

Guest The Pom Queen

So sorry to read your update, I wondered where you had gone, now I realise why you went AWOL. To be honest I know its not the move you had planned but it sounds like you have a great adventure in front of you. Good luck for the future and hey hang around this time.

I totally get that.

Having lived in Surrey I was really looking forward to Oz and that lifestyle change. Then we moved to Cornwall and I adore it, so much so I'm actually worried that if we do eventually get our visas that I wouldn't like Oz as it's not Cornwall lol.

Don't get me wrong there are bits of Surrey I miss but mostly I don't. I'm glad (in a little way) we didn't get into Oz 2 yrs ago as we'd never have moved to Cornwall and got to experience such a different way of living in the Uk. :-)

Archived