You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

TeacherBen

Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

Hi all. After your opinions please. Best state to get a constant steady flow of relief work / contract work for a secondary Maths teacher? 

Already have our 189 visa 

Hi all. After your opinions please. Best state to get a constant steady flow of relief work / contract work for a secondary Maths teacher? 

Somewhere far away from the coast and far away from where teachers actually want to live. NSW pretty much requires you to do rural/remote before they even think of offering you anything approaching permanent positions. If you’re prepared to do that the NSW and QLD might be the better options or WA if you fancy really remote.

3 hours ago, Suziedoll said:

Heaps of work in Adelaide - and we're quite near the coast too (perhaps you might want to try here Quoll? ;) )

• Thanks 1

Moved on a 179 PR visa Feb 2012; Citizenship granted Jan 2016. Settled in Adelaide. Loving it and feel like everyday is paradise compared to life in the UK.

5 hours ago, Quoll said:

Somewhere far away from the coast and far away from where teachers actually want to live. NSW pretty much requires you to do rural/remote before they even think of offering you anything approaching permanent positions. If you’re prepared to do that the NSW and QLD might be the better options or WA if you fancy really remote.

Thanks but not looking anything permanent. Just relief as not willing to go remote. Sorry should have worded that differently and said what city not state. Thanks 

4 hours ago, PositivePixie said:

Heaps of work in Adelaide - and we're quite near the coast too (perhaps you might want to try here Quoll? ;) )

Thanks that's great to hear we visited Adelaide and really liked it. What do you teach? 

25 minutes ago, Suziedoll said:

Thanks that's great to hear we visited Adelaide and really liked it. What do you teach? 

I'm out of the classroom now running the Education arm of a STEM Charity, I was ICT Secondary in the UK, followed by severe special needs and then primary before the move, since being here I just did Primary, relief and short term contracts by choice, and turned down quite a lot of work, was able to turn down the schools I didn't love going to. I have quite a few teacher friends here (mainly primary). Know lots and lots of Science teachers especially (due to the nature of my role). Science & Maths teachers are always needed - I have science teacher friends in Qld that didn't struggle in anyway to secure positions, Brisbane and the surrounds. It's like anywhere - if you want to work and are realistic etc you'll be fine. Adelaide certainly has lots of relief work, it generally pans out that you get 'in' with a couple of schools local to you and you fill up your days with them. If you *need* full time relief work (the wages are good, so you can have a very nice life on not full time, I certainly did including lots and lots of interstate and international travel. but then I didn't have a family at all) you can sign up with the main agency here, Switch, or with DECD, but I only got about 3 days in a couple of years through DECD, so private/catholic its a lot easier to get work. Catholic schools aren't the best behaviour, DECD are much better in my experience here in Adelaide region.

Hope that helps a bit :)

• Like 1

Moved on a 179 PR visa Feb 2012; Citizenship granted Jan 2016. Settled in Adelaide. Loving it and feel like everyday is paradise compared to life in the UK.

9 hours ago, Suziedoll said:

Secondary maths would probably be an option in or around Adelaide. I am told, as said above, maths and science are the two HS subjects in need. 

Primary wise, I know a fair few teachers and a number of them have had a hard time to secure anything regular and the primary teaching job market seems pretty saturated (at least in the more desirable areas people might want to work in). Plus so many locals now coming through the system seeking to get a foot in the door. Some I know have had to go rural/remote to secure a regular or year long contract. By remote I mean a 12 hour drive from Adelaide in a proper rural town or down Mt Gambier way. Did that for a year and could add it to the CV and were able to secure a term or year contract back closer to the city.