Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

16 Neutral


About TeacherBen

  • Rank
    Senior Member
  • Birthday 02/01/1985

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Hi all, My partner and I are currently gathering evidence to apply for a partner visa (onshore). My question is, does the bridging visa A kick in as soon as you've paid the visa fee, or do you need to submit a certain amount of evidence to before the bridging visa is granted? With the changes in partner visa legislation potentially in the pipeline we'd like to apply for the visa sooner rather than later and then add evidence as we go. Is this possible? Thanks in advance for your help, Ben
  2. Hi all, I'm a 189 visa holder from the UK. I have a partner from South Africa. We've been together for less than 12 months, but we have registered our relationship with NSW and this allows us to negate this requirement. We are fully able to fulfil the remains if criteria to prove we're in a committed and genuine relationship. We have a few questions though: * does the Bridging visa A kick in as soon as my partners tourist visa ends on 6th July? And a Bridging visa A allows work rights assuming it's for an onshore partner visa? * Is there a way of cancelling the tourist visa sooner so the Bridging visa A kicks in sooner so that she can work? Thanks for all your help, I know it's going to be so much harder than it is now! Cheers, Teacherben Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app
  3. TeacherBen

    New Australian Requirement for Biometrics

    Thanks Grecia!That's what we thought - it should be where you lodge the application. I'm pretty sure she put her residential address as her parents address for ease - although looking back it hasn't made it easy at all. Do you know if it's possible to get DIBP to allow an edit to adjust this? Thanks Ben
  4. Hi all, I haven't posted here for a while but find myself in a complicated situation!! My friend is coming to Sydney - she is South African but has applied for and lodged her visa application from Indonesia where she is currently working as a Dive Instructor. She has received a letter on her Immi account asking her to have her biometrics collected. The letter states that individuals applying from certain countries will need their biometrics collected - however Indonesia isn't on the list but South Africa is. The nearest Visa centres that do Biometrics are Malaysia or Singapore. We're assuming that she has been asked to get her biometrics because she is South African - can she attend any Australian Biometrics Centre or does she have to attend one in South Africa? We'll be ringing DIBP tomorrow but would appreciate any input if anyone knows anything about this. Thanks in advance, TeacherBen
  5. TeacherBen

    Visa troubles

    Hi, I have a friend who is in Australia, and came as a spouse of someone on a 457. They were applying for PR together but have split up, and she has now reapplied for PR without him on the visa. I believe he has 28 days to sort his situation (please correct me if I'm wrong) but what's the deal going forward? Can he get a bridging visa - his company are willing to sponsor him (either 457 or PR) but haven't got the ball rolling yet. What's his best course of action? Thanks in advance guys!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. TeacherBen

    Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

    Hi Alyson, I have changed my plans slightly - I'm going to travel for a year first and get everything sorted in that year! It seems a bit of a faff to be honest...but it's the same here with the DBS as the manager needs to see the ID in person!! Good luck with it all! Let us know how you get on!! Ben
  7. TeacherBen

    189 Visa Lodged Gang

    Fair enough! I'd double check...maybe ask one of the migration agents on here? I'm sure they'd know for sure!!!
  8. TeacherBen

    189 Visa Lodged Gang

    Hi Ash128...he'll be able to go on a visitor visa - as you're the main applicant I don't think the visa will be activated until you enter the country for the first time, at least that's my understanding! Hope that helps
  9. TeacherBen

    189 Visa Lodged Gang

    With point 4 - if you're getting your PCC next week then you may as well do your medical as well. You must enter Australia within 12 months of the older of your PCC or medical! It may be worth waiting...once you're contacted by your CO you'll have a rough idea of how long it'll take. It could be months before a CO contacts you and then you're left with a very short turnaround time!! Hope this helps
  10. TeacherBen

    Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

    I got the same thing - a letter on headed paper explaining how many days teaching I'd done, plus all of the other studies we'd done on the PGCE. It also explained what I'd got for each module sat etc! AITSL accepted that for mine
  11. TeacherBen

    Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

    I think if your application is straight forward it's good to go alone! No worries - just ask if you need anymore help!
  12. TeacherBen

    Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

    No, I just did it myself! It's just me and it was fairly straight forward. Once AITSL was sorted it was a case of getting documents up together, and waiting for a Case Officer. If you get your PGCE then it'll be a straight forward case! An agent can almost double the price, and I couldn't afford it! With a partner it may be a little easier to at least talk to an agent before to see whether it'll be more difficult. Some people on here think agents are worth it, others don't (they offer some cracking advice on here)! Maybe ask in the regular migration forum for your specific case??
  13. TeacherBen

    Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

    It seems daunting at first...I started my application in July 13 (getting AITSL approval - that was returned October 13) and had my visa granted December 13 so less than 6 months!
  14. TeacherBen

    Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

    Agreed!! Seems odd...my mate has done a GTP and cannot get a visa for teaching unless he does a PGCE conversion course! Strange world!! Good luck with it all though Any other questions please ask away!
  15. TeacherBen

    Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

    Hi Kayleigh, You're right that you need a 4 years degree course - I did a BSc and a PGCE. I believe a masters would be sufficient, or a PGCE but it seems a little odd to do a PGCE after a BEd! Maybe look in to a masters of education?? A 4 year BEd course would've been acceptable...as Vanduex says, easy route will be PGCE! Hope this helps a little