Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

10 hours ago, klr81 said:

I couldn't register with NESA (NSW) until I was in Australia. This is their standard process. Although I'm told that other states do allow you to do this from outside Australia. 

Interesting. I was told it would be quite difficult and not normal practice, but could be achieved.

11 hours ago, klr81 said:

I couldn't register with NESA (NSW) until I was in Australia. This is their standard process. Although I'm told that other states do allow you to do this from outside Australia. 

1 hour ago, Areyousure said:

I’m in Australia already, so should I apply to NESA or ACECQA?

Not sure about daycare settings!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wishing to hear from others in WA on how you've secured regular relief work or permanent roles? 

Are you working in public or private? 

Is the WA Gov job portal worth applying through or is this more for skewed towards local or known candidates? 

I've just been doing ad hoc relief jobs but looking for something more consistent. 

I'm in WA and the reality is doing relief and getting your name out there by passing on resumes is the way to go. It's then up to you to make the right impression. I don't know where in WA you are based but if you go outside of Perth you are more likely to get fixed term or permanent work. There are some incentives to work outside of this area such small amount of extra pay, traditionally quicker permanency...

12 hours ago, benj1980 said:

I'm in WA and the reality is doing relief and getting your name out there by passing on resumes is the way to go.

I've found it difficult cold calling public schools. Each have a different sign up process and then rarely get a call. Maybe time of year matters? 

Some use apps to list casual jobs but these jobs literally get snapped up in seconds. 

Certainly once you're in a school it makes a big difference. Provides a good opportunity to network. 

What's your recommended method when submitting a resume? How do you follow up? 

On 24/10/2019 at 13:48, dmuk said:

Wishing to hear from others in WA on how you've secured regular relief work or permanent roles? 

Are you working in public or private? 

Is the WA Gov job portal worth applying through or is this more for skewed towards local or known candidates? 

I've just been doing ad hoc relief jobs but looking for something more consistent. 

Nearly all government schools in WA are now independent, this means they choose their own staff, unlike the old central office placing system. They all advertise on the WA jobs portal. You must make sure to address the AITSL standards. I have sat on selection panels and interviewed candidates, and without those necessary additions, your application cannot even be considered. Many schools also mention their business plan and key priorities which you would be very wise to address if you want your application to stand out.

The days of going remote or rural to gain permanency and then transfer it to a city school are long gone. For relief work, the personal touch is always best. Drop into schools that you are interested in, meet admin (deputy or principal) hand over your resume. A lot of schools now use an online booking system/apps, so find out what app the school uses and try to get signed into that. Short term contracts often arise from relief work, so it is worth making the effort.

Edited by Sammy1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Sammy1 said:

You must make sure to address the AITSL standards. I

Any advice on this? When I reviewed the standards it felt most are very generic - ie if you've worked as a teacher you've done these things. Four pages seems overkill instead of rating against each focus area. 

I interview as well, I can't say I specifically look for references to AITSL. Simply fulfil the selection criteria with your covering letter. Give great examples and ensure it reads well. The amount of covering letters with extra paragraph spacing, poor spelling and punctuation is beyond me.

As @Sammy1 says try to speak to the Principal or Deputy instead of simply dropping it in to the admin office. Again depending on where you wish to be situated will have a bearing on competition for jobs. What subject do you teach @dmuk?

On 27/10/2019 at 20:23, benj1980 said:

What subject do you teach

Early years. 

Thank you for the responses. I will spend some time updating my collateral. Also planning to follow up with schools I've contacted in the past in preparation for term 1.

On 27/10/2019 at 20:23, benj1980 said:

I interview as well, I can't say I specifically look for references to AITSL. Simply fulfil the selection criteria with your covering letter. Give great examples and ensure it reads well. The amount of covering letters with extra paragraph spacing, poor spelling and punctuation is beyond me.

As @Sammy1 says try to speak to the Principal or Deputy instead of simply dropping it in to the admin office. Again depending on where you wish to be situated will have a bearing on competition for jobs. What subject do you teach @dmuk?

All WA government schools require the Professional Standards to be addressed in the application (it's part of the criteria), if they are not, then they cannot be considered or shortlisted.
I have attached the link for those that need help or do not understand.
https://www.aitsl.edu.au/teach/standards

Edited by Sammy1
  • Like 1

On 30/10/2019 at 18:20, Sammy1 said:

All WA government schools require the Professional Standards to be addressed in the application (it's part of the criteria), if they are not, then they cannot be considered or shortlisted.
I have attached the link for those that need help or do not understand.
https://www.aitsl.edu.au/teach/standards

Do you have applicants quote strands within standards that they are addressing? I can't say we do. I'm not sure if this is what you are saying or not but that is what I was talking about. Yes you have three standards that you base your covering letter on and for any potential applicant I'd focus your thoughts on:

• Professional knowledge;
  • Professional practice; and
  • Professional engagement.

So we need to register with nsw teachers board or Acecqa to work in a day car/preschool?

You’ll have to have your qualifications assessed by ACECQA. A positive outcome can be either Certificate iii, Diploma, or Early Childhood Teacher equivalent depending on the level of your quals.

If you’re looking at an ECT in a daycare, some states require registration with the teaching board too....not sure on NSW though.
Certificate iii and diploma levels(educator roles) don’t require registration with the board.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi 

I have been accepted and now registered with the TRBWA as a primary school teacher. I now need to apply with AITSL  so I can progress with visa for skills assessment. Does anyone know if being registered with TRBWA will help to register with aitsl and pass skills assessment? 

No, the TRBWA has nothing to do with the visa process. It just means that the TRB has accepted your qualifications to teach in WA. Normally people approach the process the other way around, secure a visa, then secure TRB status.

Edited by Sammy1

Hi there! I had almost gotten a teaching job in Australia, but then hit a roadblock when it became clear that my Polish degrees (3 years BA degree in linguistics/education and a masters degree in linguistics) are basically not worth the paper they're printed on in Australia. I'm getting another degree in a couple of months, which will (hopefully) fulfill the standards the registration board has set. Does it make sense to ask schools directly, if they would offer sponsorship for a 482 (or any other) visa or do these schools usually advertise on agency pages? I know that those spots are few and far between, but I don't want to give up just yet.

7 minutes ago, klr81 said:

For teaching it has to be academic. I got invited to apply for the visa really quickly with 75 points in 2016 - 1 day after my EOI was lodged. 

I think @areyousure meant re-doing the language test for points purposes, rather than for their skills assessment (since they have already had a positive outcome).

From memory, I think that this is acceptable.

• Like 1