Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

Hi guys, can you recommend what Union to join..? I am starting in January with a 0.7 in an independent school in NSW. Thanks for suggestions

In state schools there is only really the one in NSW, the Teachers' Federation. Don't know if there are any specifically for the independent schools. Would recommend you join it though.

Thanks Roxy,

I already have a positive assessment from AITSL as an Early Childhood Teacher but thought if I wanted to work in a school doing kindergarten I would have to register with the teaching board of the specific state (I am thinking of going to Perth so that would be the TRBWA)? How have you found working in a private preschool? And how did you find the ACECQA assessment, did you already have 0-2 experience? To gain 0-2 experience it looks like supply work is the answer. Thank again for the reply :-) x

Yes you are correct. More hoops to jump through, I have several different log ins for different things and had more forms to fill in!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the UK, waiting to start my degree next year in primary education early years.. Has anyone else done this degree and been successful in moving across to Oz and gaining a job? Does anyone have any advice on moving across with a small family and being the main visa applicant?

thanks in advance!!

I'm in the UK, waiting to start my degree next year in primary education early years.. Has anyone else done this degree and been successful in moving across to Oz and gaining a job? Does anyone have any advice on moving across with a small family and being the main visa applicant?

thanks in advance!!

First of all, if your goal is to move here on the basis of the degree, then make sure that it is a four year degree. It is a requirement across the whole of Australia that teachers have four years of tertiary education.

Also be aware that at this time there is a surplus of primary trained teachers and few jobs to go around. This may change in the future of course.

My main advice is to do the course because you have a real passion to teach, if you happen to migrate on the basis of it, then that is a bonus.

Edited by Sammy1

Hi all, I've not posted on here for a long time, but I thought this was an important piece of information for prospective government employees in Western Australia. From the 21st December the WA government has put a freeze on external applications for government positions. Government positions will only go internally until June 2016. Here is the message from the WA jobs website.

On 21 December 2015 the WA Government announced an immediate sector wide external recruitment freeze that is to apply to all agencies and positions across the general government sector. This freeze will mean that, for general government agencies, vacant positions may only be filled by existing employees within the general government public sector by transfer, secondment or acting until 30 June 2016 (unless an exemption is granted by the Treasurer).

This will include teachers, nurses etc, do not know if this will apply specifically to any of you, but I thought it was worth sharing.

Cheers

Seasiders

I thought it didn't include teachers or nurses?!

According to newspaper reports it was supposed to exclude teachers and the police from the job freeze.

However, it is a little confusing as the freeze advice is also attached to all teaching positions on jobswa right. At this point it does now seem to include teachers.

To be honest though, with the new term approaching this is simply not workable. A number of short fixed term contracts will become available at the last minute as class sizes change and the census is held. Principals have a way of working around this to make sure that they get the staff that they need so that there are sufficient classes.

Edited by Sammy1

According to newspaper reports it was supposed to exclude teachers and the police from the job freeze.

However, it is a little confusing as the freeze advice is also attached to all teaching positions on jobswa right. At this point it does now seem to include teachers.

To be honest though, with the new term approaching this is simply not workable. A number of short fixed term contracts will become available at the last minute as class sizes change and the census is held. Principals have a way of working around this to make sure that they get the staff that they need so that there are sufficient classes.

I agree Sammy, it is confusing, and I think it is a very fluid situation at the moment. Working in a remote country school, a lot of our first term and semester contracts at our place were completed before the freeze.

Sorry for dull post but just had to share. After 4 months from the decision to embark on our PR visa journey, to getting references, transcripts, certification etc, today I received a positive skills assessment. Yay. EOI has been submitted. Now for the long wait for an invite.

Bit of an anticlimax mind. Thought I'd be way more excited.

I agree Sammy, it is confusing, and I think it is a very fluid situation at the moment. Working in a remote country school, a lot of our first term and semester contracts at our place were completed before the freeze.

The majority of schools in the metro area completed their recruitment by the end of 2015 also. This is going to cause an issue though for those extra classes that suddenly need to be formed when extra students arrive, long service leave, maternity leave and sickness. Those positions are traditionally filled by contract staff, not those that have already secured permanency. Ah well, we shall see.

Sorry for dull post but just had to share. After 4 months from the decision to embark on our PR visa journey, to getting references, transcripts, certification etc, today I received a positive skills assessment. Yay. EOI has been submitted. Now for the long wait for an invite.

Bit of an anticlimax mind. Thought I'd be way more excited.

I expect it is more of a relief!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am in the process of applying for a Visa and have applied for a PCC for that reason, however will I be required to apply for an ICPC once in OZ (providing visa is granted of course) to enable me to work in schools?

Many thanks.

Edited by MiniCooper

Hi,

I am in the process of applying for a Visa and have applied for a PCC for that reason, however will I be required to apply for an ICPC once in OZ (providing visa is granted of course) to enable me to work in schools?

Many thanks.

Each Teacher Registration board and state has different requirements, what you did for your visa should be regarded as separate.

When you register with a TRB you will be informed of what you need to submit. For example, in WA you need to fill in a crimtrac (the TRB submits it), an international police check (as you have resided outside of Australia within the last ten years) and a WWC is applied for at a post office. It really depends on where you intend to teach.

is the process complicated to become a teacher in OZ when you only have experience in the UK, do your qualifications count and its just a case of re registering with there teaching board. My wife is thinking of going back to teaching when our son starts nursery and has started asking me what salary etc she could achieve in queensland

is the process complicated to become a teacher in OZ when you only have experience in the UK, do your qualifications count and its just a case of re registering with there teaching board. My wife is thinking of going back to teaching when our son starts nursery and has started asking me what salary etc she could achieve in queensland

I can't advise about the salary in Queensland (it will be based on her experience), but can advise that she will need to register with the Teacher Registration Board. She will need to provide all academic transcripts, show proof of at least 45 days of supervised teaching whilst she was a student (this most likely will be on her academic transcript. As part of the process police checks are undertaken.

Most importantly she will need to have have four years of university education to be eligible to teach, three years is not accepted in Australia.

It's not a complicated process, just takes a while to process.

Oh and you should be able google the pay. On the pay bands try to work out your post teacher experience as you can request your pay to be based on your uk experience.

As an aside note be careful when basing pay on UK experience. I lost a year and as a result a band as my experience statements stated weekly hours as lower than the Australian equivalent due to the taking onto account of lunch breaks. In the Victorian state school system there is no pay negotiation it is calculated using a formula on your past experience.