Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

I teach in Qld

She will need to register with QCT and provide everything that Sammy listed along with a police check. It takes them around 3-4 months to process registration but this can be done from the UK.

Then on arrival in Australia she will need to register with DETE - the department for education and training. This allows her the right to be employed by a Queensland school.

If she is hired by a Queensland School DETE will assess the pay award she is entitled to. This involves sending them statements of service from previous employment. For me this took them about 3 months to process so while I waited, they paid a basic level. The back pay was then given as a lump sum.

In Qld, senior teacher / upper pay scales can only be accessed after 12 months at the top band and once the school confirms that you are undertaking senior duties.

It's a faff, have had to wait a year before accessing the higher scales.

basic teacher pay ranges from 55k - 85k depending on years taught with senior teacher roles starting above this.

If she is hired by the private sector then pay is extremely variable; as much as 20% under or 10% over

Edited by milliem

Hi all. New to this thread. We are in process of getting 189 visa. Y husband has just been accepted on to a secondary maths pgce here in the UK and is wondering if he should do it before we make the move to Oz.

We are hoping for QLD. Anyone know if there really are many maths teaching jobs available? I know it's on the csol for QLD but also know that doesn't necessarily mean there are jobs.

Thanks all in advance

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi all. New to this thread. We are in process of getting 189 visa. Y husband has just been accepted on to a secondary maths pgce here in the UK and is wondering if he should do it before we make the move to Oz.

We are hoping for QLD. Anyone know if there really are many maths teaching jobs available? I know it's on the csol for QLD but also know that doesn't necessarily mean there are jobs.

Thanks all in advance

Hi

there are always Maths jobs available for Maths B and C, even in the metropolitan regions. There would be plenty of contract work available. Many schools will expect him to offer a second subject for at least middle school level. Maths is usually teamed up with Science or PE. I teach in these subject areas if I can be of any further help

Edited by milliem

Hi

there are always Maths jobs available for Maths B and C, even in the metropolitan regions. There would be plenty of contract work available. Many schools will expect him to offer a second subject for at least middle school level. Maths is usually teamed up with Science or PE. I teach in these subject areas if I can be of any further help

Hi thanks so much for your reply. His degree is civil engineering and pgce will be maths. Would he be able to teach another subject?

If not do you think he would still be able to secure a job?

Hi thanks so much for your reply. His degree is civil engineering and pgce will be maths. Would he be able to teach another subject?

If not do you think he would still be able to secure a job?

Yes definitely.

Many schools have an engineering (BEAST) department. Some of the larger schools teach it as a subject. My school teaches a first year uni course in engineering which is very popular. In the academic entry schools industry experience (as opposed to a degree in education) is highly sought after.

Hi everyone. Great to find this thread. I'm wondering if those of you who have landed in Oz could give me some advice on the current picture for secondary teachers in Sydney.

My partner has secured a very good job in Sydney which pretty much means I need to secure my teaching post in this area too. Am I right in thinking that jobs in Sydney for Sec English teachers are notoriously hard to get?

Also, how far would my experience get me (14 years in UK state schools inc Second in Charge English, Head of English, Lead Teacher, Advanced Skills Teacher status and Lead Practitioner posts) in the competitive market?

I am at the very last stage of the visa process for a Skilled Independent 189 - all medical and police checks submitted months ago. I hope the visa is imminent.

Guest Guest226914
Hi everyone. Great to find this thread. I'm wondering if those of you who have landed in Oz could give me some advice on the current picture for secondary teachers in Sydney.

My partner has secured a very good job in Sydney which pretty much means I need to secure my teaching post in this area too. Am I right in thinking that jobs in Sydney for Sec English teachers are notoriously hard to get?

Also, how far would my experience get me (14 years in UK state schools inc Second in Charge English, Head of English, Lead Teacher, Advanced Skills Teacher status and Lead Practitioner posts) in the competitive market?

I am at the very last stage of the visa process for a Skilled Independent 189 - all medical and police checks submitted months ago. I hope the visa is imminent.

I am a maths teacher in Sydney and from what I have seen and heard English jobs are pretty hard to come by. If you manage to secure a job you would go to the top of the payscale due to your UK experience. You would probably need to get some Aus teaching experience and then apply for a Head of dept role in the future. Or you could go down the private school route.

In the public school system it is very common for people to take temp contracts and then if they impress they often get kept on or get a permanent job. I took a 1 term contract which turned into 3 years and now a permanent job.

Hi I'm a primary school teacher of 13 years in UK. I applied to emigrate to Oz but, as my BA (Hons) in Ed with QTS course was 3 and not 4 years, I was rejected! Any advice on which one year course I need to do to enable me to teach in Oz? Can I do it whilst still in the UK as we are having to apply with my partners trade instead now, so we are still here.

Guest Guest226914
Are there many jobs in NSW for primary teachers?

it is extremely hard to get a primary job in NSW. All teaching positions are in short supply although some areas worse than others.

Hi I'm a primary school teacher of 13 years in UK. I applied to emigrate to Oz but, as my BA (Hons) in Ed with QTS course was 3 and not 4 years, I was rejected! Any advice on which one year course I need to do to enable me to teach in Oz? Can I do it whilst still in the UK as we are having to apply with my partners trade instead now, so we are still here.

It has to be a years study at university level so it's up to you I believe. There's plenty of education related Masters/Post grads about.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Unregistered

Hello,

My boyrfiend is moving to Melbourne in March, and I am desperate to come along too. I am a fully qualified UK primary teacher, with about 3 years experience. I am not looking for something permenant, but really want to get involved with a primary supply agency.

However, do supply agencies even employ UK citizens with no visas? How do you even apply? Been searching for ages and found nothing! Any help will be HUGELY appreciates

Hi,

I keep hearing ring how difficult it is to get a job as a primary teacher (I'm moving to Melbourne). How hard has it been for you guys? What do know of current situation in regard to getting a job? I am looking to do part time supply for a bit to get me head around the Aussie way of things! Any advice MUCH APPRECIATED!!

Hello,

My boyrfiend is moving to Melbourne in March, and I am desperate to come along too. I am a fully qualified UK primary teacher, with about 3 years experience. I am not looking for something permenant, but really want to get involved with a primary supply agency.

However, do supply agencies even employ UK citizens with no visas? How do you even apply? Been searching for ages and found nothing! Any help will be HUGELY appreciates

No, employment agencies and schools do not employ overseas teachers unless they have a work visa! Get yourself an appropriate visa first.

Also, teachers in Australia need four years of university education, so if your degree is only three years, then you will need to undertake more study.

There are thousands of unemployed primary teachers in Australia, so it is an uphill battle.

Edited by Sammy1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I was hoping someone could provide me with some help! I am a secondary school science teacher with 2 years experience hoping to emigrate from the UK to Oz at the end of this year. Does anyone know if any states are any more successful in finding teaching jobs than others? I don't want to plan a move to a particular state and then find an abundance of Early Childhood jobs but no secondary jobs.

Many thanks

Guest HEISENBURG
Hi All,

I was hoping someone could provide me with some help! I am a secondary school science teacher with 2 years experience hoping to emigrate from the UK to Oz at the end of this year. Does anyone know if any states are any more successful in finding teaching jobs than others? I don't want to plan a move to a particular state and then find an abundance of Early Childhood jobs but no secondary jobs.

Many thanks

Hi there, I'm a little further along in the process and have been doing a bit of research over the last year. From what I've read there seems to be a massive oversupply of primary teachers but some opportunities in secondary, especially in shortage subjects.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
Hi there, I'm a little further along in the process and have been doing a bit of research over the last year. From what I've read there seems to be a massive oversupply of primary teachers but some opportunities in secondary, especially in shortage subjects.

Mike

In urban area, there is an over-supply in primary. If you want a full time position, in Queensland at least, you really need to go rural or remote. However, there is a fair amount of work if you're prepared to do relief or short term contracts. These can evolve into longer contracts too. Last year, in my first year teaching, I had a 1 week contract which ended up lasting 22 weeks, and this year a 1 week contract that has now been extended to 17 weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

I'm slowly navigating my way through the seemingly endless tiers of bureaucracy to be able to teach in NSW state schools.

The latest, and hope to be, final tier is to register with the DEC for which I need to undertake an e-course on child protection (CPAT).

Can anyone give me any advice with regards to completing this course? Are there costs? How much time needs to be spent on it? Is it 'easy'?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer