Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

I have the BSc in Math along with the Masters in Arts in Teaching. Did not participate in Teach for America but indeed they were and still appear to be quite popular in luring young and eager graduates into the teaching profession. As you know, the program is targeted towards schools with underachieving student populations who also tend to be low income as well. Different school districts have tried different things including Teacher for America. Mine was a little different in that mine led to the MAT.

When you see the salaries of teachers in America and the general attitude towards them historically, you will see why Math and Science teachers are not as qualified as their peers in the rest of the world.

In terms of the two year work requirement post qualification, indeed it is a simple one....except....when you are desperate..because...of age...

I am one of those applicants to the 176 Family Sponsored GSM stream back in 2009 whose application got impacted by changes first by priority processing and then the final hammer of Cap and Cease 8 months ago. We all age of course but for some of us that meant a change from ours 30's to 40's and thus a narrowing of visa options due to a reduction in points due to age...

Hence...I saw a ray of light with the 489 visa and my skills as a secondary teacher. If I had a crystal ball to predict the future, I would have made sure that I had the two years post my Master in Arts in Teaching but migration laws are in flux so one day coming as a teacher is possible and the next day it is not. I instead waited for my 176 application hoping it would get allocated to a case officer...it never did of course.

So, basically, my 489 visa hopes hinges on meeting the work requirement and due to my age I am in my last year of being able to apply for it and still make the 60 points. I do not even have time to fulfill the two year requirement if indeed my MAT is the "initial teacher qualification".

Do I believe in spirit I have met the two year work requirement absolutely...but in terms of timeline...no...I got my MAT awarded during my third of teaching. There is nothing in Australia including the regional areas that compares to teaching in a low income/high need school in urban America.

By the way, this is a sample of what I have read from the Australian media...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-01/lack-of-maths-and-science-teachers-queensland-principals/7292224

It maybe over but it was worth a try...

Actually, most secondary maths teachers in Australia have a degree in maths as well as a one or two year teaching qualification. Our maths teachers are very well qualified as they have both content knowledge from their BA/BSc in maths and a teaching qualification that has allowed them to understand how to teach.....You must have an initial teaching qualification to teach here.

I personally have a degree in primary teaching, an honours degree in another single subject and another post grad to teach high school as well. So I can literally flip from primary to high school if the urge or need (due to changing demographics) takes me.

It sounds like that you did Teach for America, which resulted in a teaching qualification, so it is understandable why that is considered your post grad qualification and not work experience. Just do the two more years of teaching required - pretty simple.

Edited by westwoodwizard

Does it have to be QLD straight away? Have you considered a 190 with another state and then you'd have the opportunity to gain the experience whilst meeting the 2 year residency requirement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did look at the 190 but I hit a wall because of my work experience not meeting the post qualification guidelines for that visa. However, as a result of your message, I went back again to see if there were any other visas. There is the 457 Temporary Work Visa and it apparently does not have a post qualification work requirement. It does require an employer sponsor. I have been on Google and believe it or not I am not able to come across what I am looking for...

And that is...are there Australian schools who might consider sponsoring a math teacher for a temporary work visa?

In my case, at least I know I have the experience even if it was before my MAT but I was certified by the state and all of my performance reviews were fine.

If anybody can point me to a starting point in seeking out schools that might consider sponsoring a teacher on the 457 I would appreciate it. I have not come across any websites yet.

Thanks...

I did look at the 190 but I hit a wall because of my work experience not meeting the post qualification guidelines for that visa. However, as a result of your message, I went back again to see if there were any other visas. There is the 457 Temporary Work Visa and it apparently does not have a post qualification work requirement. It does require an employer sponsor. I have been on Google and believe it or not I am not able to come across what I am looking for...

And that is...are there Australian schools who might consider sponsoring a math teacher for a temporary work visa?

In my case, at least I know I have the experience even if it was before my MAT but I was certified by the state and all of my performance reviews were fine.

If anybody can point me to a starting point in seeking out schools that might consider sponsoring a teacher on the 457 I would appreciate it. I have not come across any websites yet.

Thanks...

I've seen vacancies on TES (Times Educational Suppliment, UK) website, they're rare but they do come about.

If I see or hear of anything I will let you know.

Thanks...

if you find a regional school trying to recruit qualified maths teachers on any web site,

why not ring them direct?

you can then discuss your issue and, if they can prove they cant find a suitably qualified permanent resident for the job,

may be willing, or able, to go down the temporary 457 route.

Not something ive heard of, but it may work.

After two years you would have your experience and be able to apply for the 190,

Although you will have to research whether you can be in the country or not when/whilst you apply...........

ETA - Sorry, just remembered, in two years you will be too old for the 190.

Maybe just have to try to hope a 457 may last for four years

Edited by dmjg

In my case, at least I know I have the experience even if it was before my MAT ...

You seem very hung up on this point,

It doesnt help for the 190,

By all means if you can secure a 457, use it to try to negotiate a higer starting point on the pay scale,

But a school may refuse to accept it as experience after a suitable teaching qualification was reached.

You may have to just 'let it go'.

Hi there. Can anybody advise on what I need to do to teach in Perth? We have just received our grant and I understand I need to register with the state I plan to teach in. How do I do this and is there anything else required? Thanks in advance :)

Exciting times!

Where in Perth are you planning? Primary or secondary? You will need to register with the TRBWA, I did this from the UK but documents have to be signed by a professional registered in Australia. The only way around this for me was to go to the Embassy which I did to get the documents signed. I had a lovely day trip sightseeing parts of London! This will include police checks (yes I know you have just completed one for your visa!) When you get over you will need to do your Working With Children check, providing you have sent this off you can work providing you have proven that you have sent off the document ie a receipt. You also need to stick an application into a pool if you wish to look for work, more information is on the WA education website.

Hi! Thanks so much for this information. I think I will probably have to register when we get there - have you any idea of timescale if you register in Australia? How do you go about doing the check?

We are heading to family in Morley until we get on our feet! I'm secondary school - Art & Design teacher with IT. How is the job situation in Perth now? I understand it will very likely be relief work for me which will hopefully lead to short term contract and a possible job. I know the chances of walking into a perm post are slim but I'm prepared for that! Any advice on CVs would also be greatly appreciated lol :)

You seem very hung up on this point,

It doesnt help for the 190,

By all means if you can secure a 457, use it to try to negotiate a higer starting point on the pay scale,

But a school may refuse to accept it as experience after a suitable teaching qualification was reached.

You may have to just 'let it go'.

I agree with your last response. I have moved on from the post-qualification experience because that is not happening for me.

Thus based on your last reply, I am pursuing the 457 route and surprisingly gaining some traction by calling the schools directly as you suggested. Under the 457, there is no particular work experience requirement so any that I have is part of my candidacy for the job but not for meeting the visa requirements.

Now, I am sure you will agree that it is a good thing that I did not "let it go" otherwise I would not have got your last reply which was a trigger for me to call up the schools directly and see if the 457 might be a possibility and now that is a route I will pursue.

Again..thank you!!!!

Hello,

I have found this thread incredibly helpful and insightful. I have used it many times throughout our visa process and have been given advice and guidance by kind individuals. It also made me realistic. Some posts did make me worry and resign myself to the fact that i may have to do my time as a relief teacher in the first instance (forever maybe?). I have spent a considerable amount of time questioning my decision to move to Australia due to the fact I might not get a job. Although I saw others found employment, human nature made me lean toward the more 'negative' posts. I'll admit I was terrified!

However, fear not teachers. There is hope yet! I have spent the last couple of months adapting my CV and every single cover letter to each individual school after copious amounts of research. I have trawled the web for jobs all over QLD, willing to go where the work is. I have spent late nights and early mornings on Skype interviews with agencies and schools. I have done my research and alas...I have a job. In fact I've had two job offers out of two interviews. I was offered a third interview this morning. Now, my job is not right in the city, in fact its probably classed as remote and the other job was rural but if you put in enough hours and are willing to move away from the cities you might just strike lucky.

Yes my subject is a shortage subject and I am still relatively cheap but with a fair amount of experience, however I have been teaching supply for 3 years. So don't get disheartened just be aware you will have to work your socks off to get noticed.

So huge thanks to all of the helpful responses to all of my questions over the last few months.

Hi! Thanks so much for this information. I think I will probably have to register when we get there - have you any idea of timescale if you register in Australia? How do you go about doing the check?

We are heading to family in Morley until we get on our feet! I'm secondary school - Art & Design teacher with IT. How is the job situation in Perth now? I understand it will very likely be relief work for me which will hopefully lead to short term contract and a possible job. I know the chances of walking into a perm post are slim but I'm prepared for that! Any advice on CVs would also be greatly appreciated lol :)

Well I'm not in Perth so couldn't tell you about the job situation there, I am an hour south. There has been a freeze on public sector jobs so private schools are the way forward I'd imagine at the moment or relief work. The job freeze is being reviewed end of June. The working with children check you have to do over here and you can go the post office to get forms. My Teacher Registration only took a couple of weeks to come through. If you go on the TRB website you can search all the registered teachers. Therefore I knew I was registered before I received the paperwork through the post and had my number to put on my resume which I sent to Smart Teachers and added my name to the WA teaching pool :-)

I agree with your last response. I have moved on from the post-qualification experience because that is not happening for me.

Thus based on your last reply, I am pursuing the 457 route and surprisingly gaining some traction by calling the schools directly as you suggested. Under the 457, there is no particular work experience requirement so any that I have is part of my candidacy for the job but not for meeting the visa requirements.

Now, I am sure you will agree that it is a good thing that I did not "let it go" otherwise I would not have got your last reply which was a trigger for me to call up the schools directly and see if the 457 might be a possibility and now that is a route I will pursue.

Again..thank you!!!!

I wasn't suggesting you let the dream go,

I was suggesting you let the '2 years work completed before teaching qualification' go.

In australia, recruitment often runs more by the 'who you know' rather than 'what you know'.

Getting your name spoken can open doors that may not have been noticed.

Good luck, please keep the thread informed of your progress,

It may help someone else in the future.

Hi! I am an Australian citizenship working currently as a Deputy SENCO in a comprehensive secondary school in the UK. I have been in this post for almost five years. In my previous job I was the Mananger of a SEN Base for students with Speech, Language and Communication Needs and Moderate Learning Difficulties. I worked in that role for 8 years. I have a Masters in Special Education. I taught this year in Brisbane in a SEP unit. I am planning on returning but was considering teaching in Sydney. The only issue is obtaining the Working With Children Check in NSW as it states you physically have to supply your proof of Identity - this is difficult as I am in the UK! A very big risk to resign from my job in order to apply once I arrive in Sydney. Anybody else experience this problem? What did you do? Are there plenty of SEN jobs in Sydney?

Hi. There is no way around this. You have to register at a RMS / Motor Registry office in person in NSW. This will set you up an account with the State - which you can then use to pay for your WWCC. You can do both in the new (and very efficient) Service NSW, 2-24 Rawson Place at Haymarket. You will need a proof of address in Australia, too. For this I was able, amazingly, to use my AirBNB receipt which had my name and the Sudney address on it. The only thing I can suggest is to have yourself a little trip over to Oz for a holiday when convenient? It's a bit of a gamble resigning.

Hi! I am an Australian citizenship working currently as a Deputy SENCO in a comprehensive secondary school in the UK. I have been in this post for almost five years. In my previous job I was the Mananger of a SEN Base for students with Speech, Language and Communication Needs and Moderate Learning Difficulties. I worked in that role for 8 years. I have a Masters in Special Education. I taught this year in Brisbane in a SEP unit. I am planning on returning but was considering teaching in Sydney. The only issue is obtaining the Working With Children Check in NSW as it states you physically have to supply your proof of Identity - this is difficult as I am in the UK! A very big risk to resign from my job in order to apply once I arrive in Sydney. Anybody else experience this problem? What did you do? Are there plenty of SEN jobs in Sydney?

I wasn't suggesting you let the dream go,

I was suggesting you let the '2 years work completed before teaching qualification' go.

In australia, recruitment often runs more by the 'who you know' rather than 'what you know'.

Getting your name spoken can open doors that may not have been noticed.

Good luck, please keep the thread informed of your progress,

It may help someone else in the future.

The way Australian immigration has been in flux in the sense of first the major changes with Priority Processing and then operating on a one year cycle in terms of making changes, "letting go" would not necessarily be bad advice. We were screwed with the Family Sponsored 176 Offshore by waiting and waiting until the Cap and Cease in September 2015.

With the years passed by, we lost points on age. My wife can still get the 60 points as an accountant under 189 but it turns out you now need 70 though apparently in 2013-2014 60 was good enough. Same with me. Could have got in as a teacher under 189 without needing the points for experience. But, age is now a material difference in our points.

Now, I come to learn that teacher and accountant might both be removed off the SOL for 2016-2017 and that is only when our EOI will be completed in time for. Yikes!!

Hence..the 457 route is my way in if I can pull it off but as you said getting in will require making some contacts. It will not come from just filling out an application.

There is always the student route but not upto shelling out that kind of money for two years in order to get there. Might have been a good idea years ago but at that time I never thought about going abroad for my education.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there.

Has anyone on here ever had a Skype interview with Smart teachers? I have one this week. It's only a 20 minuter but want to see if anyone else has been through the experience. What types of questions etc.

Thanks

Hi there.

Has anyone on here ever had a Skype interview with Smart teachers? I have one this week. It's only a 20 minuter but want to see if anyone else has been through the experience. What types of questions etc.

Thanks

I did one of these a few years ago when I first arrived in Australia

It's no big deal and they have a standard set of about 8-10 questions. All pretty standard

- Tell us about how you plan effective teaching and learning programs so that all students of different levels are engaged and their individual needs are met. Give example from your teaching experiences.

- Describe how you create a supportive and challenging environment for your students?

- Outline what philosophy and strategies you use in your teaching programs.How have you integrated technology (ICT) into your daily teaching program? Describe your level of ICT knowledg-

- Being a positive and collaborative team member is very important at our school. How would you create this relationship with staff and parents?

- If an angry and aggressive parent came to see you indicating that there was an issue with their son or daughter, how would you resolve it? What processes would you work through? Give examples from any experiences you may have had.

- What additional skills, training or professional network involvement have you that you could draw upon to add value to your position. What involvement have you had in the extra curricular life of the school?

- What has been a professional achievement that has given you the opportunity to show leadership among your peers? Please give any examples of any initiatives you may have taken.

- What are your career goals for the next five years? In what areas will you be seeking to develop professionally?

good luck

I have the BSc in Math along with the Masters in Arts in Teaching. Did not participate in Teach for America but indeed they were and still appear to be quite popular in luring young and eager graduates into the teaching profession. As you know, the program is targeted towards schools with underachieving student populations who also tend to be low income as well. Different school districts have tried different things including Teacher for America. Mine was a little different in that mine led to the MAT.

When you see the salaries of teachers in America and the general attitude towards them historically, you will see why Math and Science teachers are not as qualified as their peers in the rest of the world.

In terms of the two year work requirement post qualification, indeed it is a simple one....except....when you are desperate..because...of age...

I am one of those applicants to the 176 Family Sponsored GSM stream back in 2009 whose application got impacted by changes first by priority processing and then the final hammer of Cap and Cease 8 months ago. We all age of course but for some of us that meant a change from ours 30's to 40's and thus a narrowing of visa options due to a reduction in points due to age...

Hence...I saw a ray of light with the 489 visa and my skills as a secondary teacher. If I had a crystal ball to predict the future, I would have made sure that I had the two years post my Master in Arts in Teaching but migration laws are in flux so one day coming as a teacher is possible and the next day it is not. I instead waited for my 176 application hoping it would get allocated to a case officer...it never did of course.

So, basically, my 489 visa hopes hinges on meeting the work requirement and due to my age I am in my last year of being able to apply for it and still make the 60 points. I do not even have time to fulfill the two year requirement if indeed my MAT is the "initial teacher qualification".

Do I believe in spirit I have met the two year work requirement absolutely...but in terms of timeline...no...I got my MAT awarded during my third of teaching. There is nothing in Australia including the regional areas that compares to teaching in a low income/high need school in urban America.

By the way, this is a sample of what I have read from the Australian media...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-01/lack-of-maths-and-science-teachers-queensland-principals/7292224

It maybe over but it was worth a try...

This research is is correct. They are however, referring to only some schools. there are a few schools in some areas even close to the metropolitan zones in which they struggle to get and keep teachers with quality experience. In some of these schools they are not easy to transfer out of, and people tend to leave by securing temporary secondments elsewhere or resigning from Queensland education and entering the private sector. There are also still many teachers in the system here who have entered Science /Maths teaching via a Bachelor of Education. This is fine, however many state schools are independent and therefore can cherry pick candidates. Therefore in my school only teachers with a specialist degree and some applied experience in their specialism are selected to teach senior or fast track classes. This then results in a small cohort of teachers having an enormous work load. (sometimes almost double the normal marking volume) The pain of marking 90 year 11/12 experimental investigations at one time will leave you longing for the simplicity and straightforwardness of A level coursework. (I can vouch for this)

Also in the state system, many primary teachers have been absorbed by high schools to teach in the junior / middle school and these areas are also oversubscribed with teachers who are permanent employees of Queensland Education.

The other issue that affects recruitment is suitability ranking and this is usually undertaken either upon registering or in the school you end up working in. Some positions are only open to candidates who have been ranked as outstanding. For example, when year 7 transferred to high school last year, several teachers with outstanding ratings were transferred in (against their first choice) by Queensland Education as an outstanding rating was required for those roles.

The other item is the transfer list which rolls over each June. In the months prior to this, there is a stagnation / slow down in hiring as schools have no control over who gets transferred in. They cannot appoint until transfer numbers are finalised. Teachers who have acquired a lot of transfer points by working regional can cherry pick a school / region and if their rating is suitable, they will be appointed. Until this process completes each year, schools do not do much hiring and only asign short term contracts.

The point I am trying to make is that Queensland is complex and yes in some areas there are shortages but not for the sought after schools / positions.

However, only half of schools are state schools. The other half are private, most of which are faith schools. If you are prepared to work in this sector, this would more than double the opportunities. The very good ones pay a lot more than the state and work less weeks in the year. However, even in this sector, Queensland experience carries a lot of weight in terms of recruitment, and there is a tendency to prefer candidates with Australian referees.

All that said, there are jobs available for the right candidate in desirable schools and areas. I am Science / Maths and tick all right boxes mentioned above. It is fairly easy at that point to secure roles / interviews but initially, you might have to side step a few landmines.

I hope this is helpful

Mille

Edited by milliem

Cheers for that milliem. Was this for Smart teachers or another agency - or with a school directly themselves?

those are smart teacher questions copied and pasted from an old email 4 years ago.

Smart teacher though is just an agency and the schools when they interview you will ask different questions. Some of the recruitment consultants might have some teacher experience or perhaps a qualification, but it is mainly a tick box interview prior to referring your cv to schools

You're a star - thanks for the tip. BEYOND helpful!

those are smart teacher questions copied and pasted from an old email 4 years ago.

Smart teacher though is just an agency and the schools when they interview you will ask different questions. Some of the recruitment consultants might have some teacher experience or perhaps a qualification, but it is mainly a tick box interview prior to referring your cv to schools