Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

Selina & Ben - Can you believe I got my both 189 visa and my first Oz teaching post today?! I'm just about to pop the prosecco cork, I feel so lucky. Australia - see you in January!! :jiggy::jiggy::jiggy:

thats great news! What area are you moving? Don't blame you for having a drink!

Moving to sunny Perth at end of Dec and start job end of Jan. I'm walking on air!

Front loading means that you do your medical and police check before you submit your EOI. Only issue is that you get a year to validate your visa by flying into Oz based on the earlier of the police or medical check. In effect I only have 11 months instead of a year to validate. My skills assessment took nearly the standard 10 weeks. It was seven weeks between my application and grant dates. I was lucky to be invited after the first round so that cut down the time too :)

Moving to sunny Perth at end of Dec and start job end of Jan. I'm walking on air!

Front loading means that you do your medical and police check before you submit your EOI. Only issue is that you get a year to validate your visa by flying into Oz based on the earlier of the police or medical check. In effect I only have 11 months instead of a year to validate. My skills assessment took nearly the standard 10 weeks. It was seven weeks between my application and grant dates. I was lucky to be invited after the first round so that cut down the time too :)

I'm going SOR end of October, I may have something in the pipeline but I don't want to jinx it!

I'm at a bit of a loss with what to do about Psychology too. My PGCE is only in psychology and if I can't get a job teaching that then what am I want to do with it?! Have you had any luck Jes86?

Due to shortage of science teachers, many teachers have to teach 'out of subject' - are you up to teaching chemistry or biology? There are a few teaching positions for psychology (international baccalaureate) but loads for science....

Due to shortage of science teachers, many teachers have to teach 'out of subject' - are you up to teaching chemistry or biology? There are a few teaching positions for psychology (international baccalaureate) but loads for science....

But be aware if you do want to teach Science you may be required to complete extra training. To be registered to teach Science in NSW I would have to complete 6 extra units of Science because my degree is in Psychology, despite the fact I taught Science for over 4 years before I came out.

Sending you a pm x

But be aware if you do want to teach Science you may be required to complete extra training. To be registered to teach Science in NSW I would have to complete 6 extra units of Science because my degree is in Psychology, despite the fact I taught Science for over 4 years before I came out.

how did you complete the 6 extra units of science? I've never taught it but obviously do a fair bit of biology in psychology. Was thinking of asking my school for experience in UK as not looking to go move until September 2017.

Advice on AITSL application please...just to clarify we need our certificate for in my case an Honours Degree and PGCE and 'transcripts'?? I've heard a few having problems with the transcripts can anybody confirm exactly what they are looking for please? Thanks in advance :)

Guest HEISENBURG
Advice on AITSL application please...just to clarify we need our certificate for in my case an Honours Degree and PGCE and 'transcripts'?? I've heard a few having problems with the transcripts can anybody confirm exactly what they are looking for please? Thanks in advance :)

Hi, I got a positive AITSL result back today. I used an agent and they advised that an academic transcript with module by module scores would be required. The number of teaching days is very important. I was lucky to find certificate and academic transcript for PGCE but also needed letter from PGCE provider to confirm course content and number of teaching days. A letter from Uni for my first degree confirming that no module marks were now available and a copy degree certificate were sufficient. Both Unis were happy to provide paperwork required.

Now have 60 points an I'm submitting my EOI next week. Anyone need a physics or chemistry teacher on the Gold Coast ?

They are looking for transcripts from your awarding university. The issues people have had is either they have lost them or did not receive transcripts due to completing a SCITT or GTP entry route. I went the SCITT route and had to argue my case to my awarding university to issue a transcript for my course, they weren't otherwise issued. You will not be accepted without them.

Hi, I got a positive AITSL result back today. I used an agent and they advised that an academic transcript with module by module scores would be required. The number of teaching days is very important. I was lucky to find certificate and academic transcript for PGCE but also needed letter from PGCE provider to confirm course content and number of teaching days. A letter from Uni for my first degree confirming that no module marks were now available and a copy degree certificate were sufficient. Both Unis were happy to provide paperwork required.

Now have 60 points an I'm submitting my EOI next week. Anyone need a physics or chemistry teacher on the Gold Coast ?

Great news, one thing off your mind! Move on to the next one! :laugh:

how did you complete the 6 extra units of science? I've never taught it but obviously do a fair bit of biology in psychology. Was thinking of asking my school for experience in UK as not looking to go move until September 2017.

I found out that I could do the extra 6 units of Science at my local TAFE, but it would mean joining the Science teacher training and just participating in the sections I needed. They wouldn't give me a cost, as I needed to enroll on the course first and then they would let me know which units I needed. I roughly worked out doing the extra units could take me close to a year to complete and that didn't take into account any waiting around for the units I didn't need to be taught. So I gave up on it as I was already considering a career change, plus I just really couldn't stand the thought of studying something I had been competently teaching months before!

Doing the extra experience in the UK might help when it comes to landing a job, but it will not help you in anyway to register to be a teacher in NSW. If you want more info let me know, I still have the report from BOSTES which told me what I needed to do. Sorry to be so negative, I just wish I had realised before I was over here!!!

I found out that I could do the extra 6 units of Science at my local TAFE, but it would mean joining the Science teacher training and just participating in the sections I needed. They wouldn't give me a cost, as I needed to enroll on the course first and then they would let me know which units I needed. I roughly worked out doing the extra units could take me close to a year to complete and that didn't take into account any waiting around for the units I didn't need to be taught. So I gave up on it as I was already considering a career change, plus I just really couldn't stand the thought of studying something I had been competently teaching months before!

Doing the extra experience in the UK might help when it comes to landing a job, but it will not help you in anyway to register to be a teacher in NSW. If you want more info let me know, I still have the report from BOSTES which told me what I needed to do. Sorry to be so negative, I just wish I had realised before I was over here!!!

I've sent you a PM ☺️

They are looking for transcripts from your awarding university. The issues people have had is either they have lost them or did not receive transcripts due to completing a SCITT or GTP entry route. I went the SCITT route and had to argue my case to my awarding university to issue a transcript for my course, they weren't otherwise issued. You will not be accepted without them.

Thanks for this benj1980. Guess I'll just need to get in contact with both universities and see what they have or don't have. Potentially heading to Perth also :)

Great news! Thanks for this info. Fingers crossed both universities will have what I need!

There was a ruling over no transcripts before 2010 or something for my course, but I just kept moaning!

Well that will be a problem for me too considering I graduated in 2001. I have actually just found transcripts for both my degree and pgce! Didn't even know I had them! Benj1980 they both state my module code, module title, credit points, level and result in addition to all my details and course details. Is that enough?

After closer inspection I have only transcripts for one year of my degree so will obviously need to get the others along with my certificate copy. It has my registration number which by memory is my student number. I can also get a verification letter from my university which I reckon I'll do anyway just to be sure. Did you get your police check and medical check before your EOI?