Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

Hi,

this is my first post and was hoping for some advice. My partner has been through the process and has a visa and will be in wa February next year. I am a teaching and hoping to get my own visa. I have looked into options of doing the visa myself or getting an agent - do applications often get rejected? I have a 4yr undergrad in psychology and a pgce and have just completed 2 years of teaching mainly psychology GCSE and a level but also science, phse, health and social care and childcare. I really enjoy teaching psychology. Is psychology a common subject in austrailia? Where do I look for jobs? I want to be more secure in the idea that I am likely to get a job before I start the application phase.

thanks for help in advance

jen

Psychology is taught at senior levels in Victoria and is included in science usually before that. With your mix of subjects you should be able to apply for science positions in Victorian government and private schools. It might also be worth keeping an eye on the Catholic school vacancies although different areas require different levels of knowledge or adherence to religion.

Nicky

I'm a secondary teacher (English, Drama) in North East Victoria. Happy to help with info/ advice if I can.

Nicky

Hi Powells,

I posted my query .... copy pasting again ... any help would be great

AITSL assessment is in process and was just wondering if someone could help me out with some info .... if they know or hv been in a similar situation .... I have all the requirements for AITSL but what am afraid of, is I may not make the required 60 poiints for immi .... I finished my ITE in 2002 which is a 2 year teacher training course in Early childhood .... been working for a renowned skool since 2008 but only finished my degree in August 2014. (AITSL says early childhood ITE can either be post graduate or undergrad) would they look at my work experience after my ITE or would they only consider the work done after I finished the full qualification required by them. On the AITSL website they say only work paid employment after the ITE wld be considered ... nowhere have they specified "work experience after the full education requirement of AITSl" its a bit tricky ... and that literally has me on pins and needles.

It reads to me that you would be OK with your paid work after ITE rather than having to wait until after the degree. Early Childhood teaching is very different to my P-12 course and has gone through some changes here in Victoria so I suggest that you ask for further clarification. I had an issue with my qualifications and was lucky enough to be able to retake a diploma of education while we were here.

Good luck.

Nicky

It reads to me that you would be OK with your paid work after ITE rather than having to wait until after the degree. Early Childhood teaching is very different to my P-12 course and has gone through some changes here in Victoria so I suggest that you ask for further clarification. I had an issue with my qualifications and was lucky enough to be able to retake a diploma of education while we were here.

Good luck.

Nicky

sent u a PM ... do reply ...:)

To make sure I am paid correctly linked to my experience I need to get a letter from my Head? What should be included in this letter?

Hi Ben,

For Perth state schools:

To be considered, Statements of Service must be on official letterhead or, if via email, the sender’s email

account must contain the official school/institution email domain (eg. det.wa.edu.au). Statements must also

include the following information:

• the exact dates for commencement and cessation of employment (eg. 30 January 2006 to

18 December 2007);

• job title;

• work capacity for example full-time or part-time - must state work fraction (e.g. 70%);

• if unpaid leave was taken, the exact duration of this leave must be stated;

• if no unpaid leave was taken, the document must state this; and

• employment status (e.g. permanent, fixed term or casual).

From a document called "Recognition of prior service" which is always at the bottom of each job ad.

Hope this helps.

Hi Ben,

For Perth state schools:

To be considered, Statements of Service must be on official letterhead or, if via email, the sender’s email

account must contain the official school/institution email domain (eg. det.wa.edu.au). Statements must also

• the exact dates for commencement and cessation of employment (eg. 30 January 2006 to

18 December 2007);

• job title;

• work capacity for example full-time or part-time - must state work fraction (e.g. 70%);

From a document called "Recognition of prior service" which is always at the bottom of each job ad.

Hope this helps.

Brilliant thank you!

Hi Ben,

For Perth state schools:

18 December 2007);

• job title;

Hope this helps.

Hi,

I am currently on maternity leave from my teaching post in the UK would this time count towards experience as I am still officially employed by the school or will it be discounted?

Thanks x

Hi,

I am currently on maternity leave from my teaching post in the UK would this time count towards experience as I am still officially employed by the school or will it be discounted?

Thanks x

Hi Selina,

I'm by no means an expert but my guess would be that it shouldn't be an issue as your maternity was surely paid leave, whereas that says "unpaid" leave?

Ok so I'm sure this has all probably been asked a hundred times but I'm about to start the roller coaster adventure and try to do a 189 visa application without an agent. I haven't a clue where to start - am I right in saying I have to get my skills assessed before I submit an EOI?? Is it with AITSL and if so how do I go about it? Sorry this could be the start of A LOT of questions!

Selina & Ben - Can you believe I got my both 189 visa and my first Oz teaching post today?! I'm just about to pop the prosecco cork, I feel so lucky. Australia - see you in January!! :jiggy::jiggy::jiggy:

Thats great news chatterbox!! Double celebrations for you. Did you Skype interview for your teaching post? X

Thanks everyone!

Yes, did a Skype interview. It was weird but kinda got used to it after the first five minutes. I think it's quite common these days.

It took 7 weeks and one day to get our visa. We front loaded our medicals, police check and form 80 so it was a direct grant. I'd recommend this strategy as I'd only just be getting a case officer at this point and be starting to apply for medicals etc (unless you need the full year to validate that is).

Happy to help with other questions if anyone has any - I want to repay all the help I've received on here :)