457 - a warning

SeadogSal

So we had a job offer on a 457 - husband had several Skype interviews and offered the job, medicals done and 457 lodged. I quit my job in the Uk after 18 years and took kids out of school as job was to start in Oz in August........

Then incredulous as it may seem two weeks ahead of job starting :arghh:we took a phone call from the company and they withdrew the offer of the job in Australia.. Yes that's right they withdrew the job offer - shock and disbelief as they had paid for medicals and the 457 lodgement of visa. Thought a signed copy of a job offer was a legal contract! But obviously not!! The offer has been withdrawn as the company has seen a drop in workload. So the children have no school places here in the UK and school starts this week and our house is on the verge of being rented. Husband has no job in the UK neither do I. We are just drawing breath and deciding the way ahead. Anyone else experienced something similar?

oh dear thats not good i cant offer any advice unfortunately but are you able/looking to see if another company will employ you over there? i have read many horror stories on here of the issues arise with this visa as well as some good. i hope you get something sorted soon, i know it may not feel it right now but something will work out for the better for you all....i hope anyway good luck xx

Job offers can be withdrawn, just as any position can be made redundant at any time, regardless of the person in the role having a contract of employment. If they were a decent company and had scale (that is more than a two man band) then they might offer to pay you a months salary or whatever your notice would be. However with you on the other side of the world, you are easily ignored and won't be able to kick up a stink in the local papers for example.

We say it time and time again and get accused of being anti 457 visas, but the visa really does have short comings and is not suitable for many families. Look into skilled migration if you are wanting to make this move, it won't stop job offers being withdrawn but it does leave you in a better spot if they are.

Guest The Pom Queen

I really hope people listen to your warnings as when we try and tell people what can happen they think we are plotting against them and trying to stop them moving to Australia, nothing could be further from the truth. If you really want to give Australia a try and you have to come on this visa then try and get holiday leave from work, do NOT sell your house and I wouldn't be shipping belongings until you are 100% that the job is secure.

Huge hugs to you :hug:

I know that some people have success with these visas but there are many who do not and we do not hear all the sad tales on this forum. They are a "short term" visa to fill a gap in the skills for a short time. When and if we change gov I think there will be more of these about with the libs but if I had children an established home etc I would be going the permanent visa route, if that route was not open to me then I would count my blessings and get on with my life. Permanent visas are the true picture of skill shortage, i e Aus gives people a permanent life here if they want it.

In a way even though its hard at least you have a home and are not over here made redundant and having to return to UK.

Almost the exact same thing happened to us when we were still in the UK however it was the USA that we were going to. We decided to try Australia off our own back and decided to go for PR not a temp visa. Look at other avenues if you are still keen, but I wouldn't advice a 457 in the current climate. Even in the UK a job offer can be withdrawn if there is a genuine business reason for doing so.

I am so sorry to read your post. These 'visas' mean that poor treatment from potential employees can happen with very little impact to the employer and devastating effects to the potental employee. I wish they were for single people only. As others have said you could have easily been in Oz when this happened so at least you haven't had that upheaval and you've sensibly kept your house. Won't the school be sympathetic? As for work prospects, UK is feeling much more positive than Australia - Dependant on what you do, my personal feeling is that there are more opportunities for skilled workers in SE UK than in QLD where I live. Perhaps an opportunity to try out another area of the UK, then work on getting PR if Oz is where your heart lies? Good luck!

Hi

I know the position you are in, had job interview April 12 letter of job offer and acceptance form arrived November 12, which I signed and returned.

Found out last week by telephone that job has been withdrawn due to changes in visa, was getting 457 and also applying for 187.

Not had formal notification by post yet but it's one its way and this is from a federal government department......

Completely devastated..... :-(

Hi

I know the position you are in, had job interview April 12 letter of job offer and acceptance form arrived November 12, which I signed and returned.

Found out last week by telephone that job has been withdrawn due to changes in visa, was getting 457 and also applying for 187.

Not had formal notification by post yet but it's one its way and this is from a federal government department......

Completely devastated..... :-(

Is that the pace of recruitment in government? I have only worked in private companies and it would be inconceivable to be interviewed in April, get job offer by November and still not have started the following September. For sure the job would no longer be there..

Is that the pace of recruitment in government? I have only worked in private companies and it would be inconceivable to be interviewed in April, get job offer by November and still not have started the following September. For sure the job would no longer be there..

Rupert, so it would seem to be the case and I concur with your comments but this job will be there next year, the take 6 months to recruit some one who lives in Canberra....

More to the point they approached me for the role in the first place....!!!!

I thought you had to be a Citizen to work for Federal Government?

You do, unless you have exceptional skills that cannot be reasonably sourced in Aus and the Secretary can make a dispensation to employ although usually in non ongoing positions.

When we moved across initially on a 457 a few years back, the work climate was different and this visa type appeared to have some more creditably than now. I did have options with different companies who were willing to me sponsor me, but I remained with my present company (better the devil you know, so I was fortunate). We took the 457 route as my employer had a need to fill a vacant position immediately and despite attempting could not locate a local candidate (not experienced or due to the then job market no suitable interest was shown). We sold up within 8 weeks and moved across due to the immediate need to recruit. If we had gone the PR route initially then the time frame of the process would have not been suitable for the employers need at the time, we have since become PR and look forward to applying for citizenship in the future. So I guess circumstances vary substantially and we knew the limitations of the 457 visa but it also fed the need of the employer at the time to gain an employee with specific knowledge equipped to fill a role. Cant help but feel for these guys or anyone else in a similar position.

I really hope people listen to your warnings as when we try and tell people what can happen they think we are plotting against them and trying to stop them moving to Australia, nothing could be further from the truth. If you really want to give Australia a try and you have to come on this visa then try and get holiday leave from work, do NOT sell your house and I wouldn't be shipping belongings until you are 100% that the job is secure.

Huge hugs to you :hug:

I don't think people think that when you see balanced posts.

Look on the bright side. Imagine if you had arrived and a couple of weeks in they made your husband redundant.

The 457 really is not suitable for families. Personally i think a family thinking of moving on a 457 are very silly. The risks are just too big

It's this kind of name-calling that gets people's backs up and gives no credit to the idea that there may be lots of different factors involved.

When we moved across initially on a 457 a few years back, the work climate was different and this visa type appeared to have some more creditably than now. I did have options with different companies who were willing to me sponsor me, but I remained with my present company (better the devil you know, so I was fortunate). We took the 457 route as my employer had a need to fill a vacant position immediately and despite attempting could not locate a local candidate (not experienced or due to the then job market no suitable interest was shown). We sold up within 8 weeks and moved across due to the immediate need to recruit. If we had gone the PR route initially then the time frame of the process would have not been suitable for the employers need at the time, we have since become PR and look forward to applying for citizenship in the future. So I guess circumstances vary substantially and we knew the limitations of the 457 visa but it also fed the need of the employer at the time to gain an employee with specific knowledge equipped to fill a role. Cant help but feel for these guys or anyone else in a similar position.

I was headhunted by a company and originally came on a 457. They were pretty desperate for the skill set that i have as not just being a geologist in the middle of the mining boom, i had an expertise in a particular type of mineral deposit and that expertise is almost non existant in Oz. Four weeks after arriving in Sydney, the lead / zinc price collapsed and we found ourselves needing a new sponsor. Luckily we found one in Perth.

I have seen it happen so much recently. Particularly to geologists who 12 months ago could simply put their CV on seek one morning and have several offers by end of the day. Not now and i have seen many have to leave.

Thanks for all your comments. It has been a really difficult week - not least because we had everything prepared for the move - house about to be rented - kids out of school, both given up jobs. I am sure what they have done is illegal as we had signed a job offer. All the Skype interviews my husband had undertaken - the two medicals he'd gone for and the paperwork we'd filled in. What's more galling is they were playing for flights, shipping, temporary accommodation - the whole kabuddle and that has now gone too.

Do you think we could take some sort of legal action?

Once again thanks for your comments.

SeadogSal

Thanks for all your comments. It has been a really difficult week - not least because we had everything prepared for the move - house about to be rented - kids out of school, both given up jobs. I am sure what they have done is illegal as we had signed a job offer. All the Skype interviews my husband had undertaken - the two medicals he'd gone for and the paperwork we'd filled in. What's more galling is they were playing for flights, shipping, temporary accommodation - the whole kabuddle and that has now gone too.

Do you think we could take some sort of legal action?

Once again thanks for your comments.

SeadogSal

If you want me to have a look at your case, send an email to: visa@pinoyau.com

You might want to check my posts about 457 applications.

Archived