how long did you last in oz before moving back

bwatt99

Thanks guys for the replies Britpop, Verystormy and Legoman, any thoughts and advice would be welcome, positives and negatives, i have to say that areas such as Devon and Cornwall while lovely areas disappointed me very much when on holiday, the towns particularly not looking much different from many others and great when the weather is good but when the weather was poor, not easy to find great stuff for the family, my opinion of course. With no family in that area, the need for work, social circle etc would be just as hard. We do love living where we are now, we are within walking distance of an area of outstanding beauty, walk, mountain bike and dog walk there, the kids do sporting activities 6 nights a week. This is not a move to a nicer area because we are unhappy.

when my sister worked in the uk for 3 years contract, about 4 years ago, she lived for a good period of that time with us when she moved over from Oxford, which was a picturesque village full of thatched cottages, my sister hated the time she was back in the uk apart from the time with us, however lonely she has been at times in Oz, she would not return and has been the main pulling force for us to first visit on holiday and then to ask us to move over to live with her. As a family we loved our holiday, I did some visiting of connections from my masters course to discuss employment opportunities and get an account of work life balance from them too.

We wanted a new and different experience of life, working in the nhs would be similar wherever in the uk, a new lifestyle for us and the kids, near to the sea, we are not city people and would not want to be in Aus. This is the only chance we would ever have of doing this kind of thing, my last chance due to my age so if not now then it would be never. I have been reading the posts of the people who did it, not worked for them and moved back and the reasons, then the posts from people who say don't do it because you are unhappy with your life. Well as a family we are happy with our lives, our jobs, the kids are happy with school and after school activities. Does this mean we should not try, are we mad? The work it has taken to get this far and the amount of hoops still left to jump, means it is not deadline decision day yet, but still want to go for it.

I think you would be mad to move if you are happy with your life, and jobs and the kids are happy in school. The jobs market here is very poor, after school activites are very expensive in comparison to the UK and you will end up living in the city as out in the bush the schooling is poor and it will take you absolutely ages to get to work, if it is commutable. You do not seem to have any good reason to move or any real spur to go.

Why not just have holidays to interesting places such as India, Nepal, Vietnam or Cambodia, rather than give up the very nice life you have? It is so expensive to move now and I just do not thing that the positives for you (an adventure) would outwiegh the negatives (kids education disrupted, losing friends, moving from somewhere lovely, leaving good jobs on the grounds you might get something over here in an economy that is in decline).

Yes, you are mad to plan to move to Australia at the current time. Had we had what you have, we would never have left the UK and would have just gone on great holidays instead.

Perhaps you need to sit down and write out all the costs involved in living in Aus compare to the UK. Look up job sites and find out what you are likely to earn (if you can find a job in the country), then compare that to cost of rent, (and the type of accomadation available in the country ) VERY different to the UK, either large farm type places or pretty old homes. Nice homes on smaller say a couple of acres will not be cheap simply because there are not many of them. Cost of education, fuel to get to shops or kids activities (again VERY different to the uk ) Forget 1 or 2 miles to the shops think 50km plus to major shops. The country side here is also very different to the UK, far more dry brown land, if you find a nice area (lots of trees) take into consideration bush fires. I totally understand what you are thinking, we have been struggling to find a place here that is similar to the landscape of the UK and when we finally did find a place we almost got burnt out and ended up selling as it was so dangerous. A fair bit of work to do it but could save money and heart ache if you just up sticks and move in the hope it will work out.

Thanks Incata and Tina2, its good to get a balance from the different threads on pio. I have to say that we spoke to families who are friends with my sister when we were out there, their kids did lots of activities and I was surprised at how many things that were available were free, we currently pay for tqd, tennis, swimming and cricket, rugby is free at our local club, they mountain bike which is free too obv. There just seemed a more family orientated feel to where we were, no pub culture, no groups of kids hanging around bored and reading the local paper a very different crime profile. The area was clean and people not only had a pride in being Australian but cared about where they lived. This is a very different picture to that you get all over the UK. When I look at the young in the UK, the area I live etc, I often worry what it will be like for my kids, poor ish area, unemployment and opportunities, there is no harm in looking for a better life for them, and there is both ends of the spectrum on pio. That said, you are right, I take on board what people say and am uncertain due to the enormity of the decision and scale of life change. However, it is now or it will never happen. Paul. I also would never move without securing employment, and have spoken to prospective employers.

Edited by Arbrodin

I agree with you Sydney, and we fall into the latter camp. It's great having a few years living somewhere else but I've never had the desire to emigrate permanently. It's a shame that on PIO those of us choosing to move temporarily are looked down upon by those who have emigrated permanently (not everyone of course, just a few!). It's not a competition, everyone has different desires from life and want to get different things from it. I'm happy that Australia has given me the chance to try living here and working in an industry which barely exists in the UK. It's given me great experiences both in work and leisure and I will take predominantly happy memories when we do finally leave.

I think moving to a new country with a family is very difficult these days, and if things don't work out and the decision is made to return home then so be it. On the other hand some of the excuses I've read on here over the years for going back home have been extraordinary. Quite often those returning home take license to rubbish Australia because too often it's them who feel like failures. And they shouldn't.

I think you would be mad to move if you are happy with your life, and jobs and the kids are happy in school. The jobs market here is very poor, after school activites are very expensive in comparison to the UK and you will end up living in the city as out in the bush the schooling is poor and it will take you absolutely ages to get to work, if it is commutable. You do not seem to have any good reason to move or any real spur to go.

Why not just have holidays to interesting places such as India, Nepal, Vietnam or Cambodia, rather than give up the very nice life you have? It is so expensive to move now and I just do not thing that the positives for you (an adventure) would outwiegh the negatives (kids education disrupted, losing friends, moving from somewhere lovely, leaving good jobs on the grounds you might get something over here in an economy that is in decline).

Yes, you are mad to plan to move to Australia at the current time. Had we had what you have, we would never have left the UK and would have just gone on great holidays instead.

I don't agree with this (sorry please don't be offended, it's just my humble opinion and yours is just as valid) - I have holiday'd in interesting places all over the world (in fact one of my dislikes about Australia was the cost involved in doing that) living in another country is a VERY different experience. Living for a period of time in a different culture gives you a completely different perspective on life and that's invaluable for children and something you can't get from a holiday.

My life before we moved to Australia was very much like the OP's and we gave it all up for an elusive dream of a 'better life' which doesn't exist - what Australia can give you though is a different life and whilst for us it turned out much harder and the 'dislikes' were much greater than the dislikes in the UK with little to compensate in no way do I regret having the experience what I do regret is the way we did it.

If I could turn back time I would take the 457 visa and consider that we were going to live overseas for 4 years - one great big fat adventure. I would still have taken PR (no harm in a back up plan) but I would not have considered it my permanent home. IF once I was there I decided I'd like it to be my permanent home then so be it. If you have a 'good' life then nowhere in Australia is going to offer you a better one but what a story to tell the grandkids :)

almost four years in aus, just done 2 years back in the uk and can't wait to get back to aus again in 8 weeks time :)

just wonderful for you! I suspect OZ is in your blood! When my hubby arrived here he just completely felt like he was home, he actually refuses to return to UK even for a visit, we are like 80's migrants just damn the bloomin Skype!!!!

I don't agree with this (sorry please don't be offended, it's just my humble opinion and yours is just as valid) - I have holiday'd in interesting places all over the world (in fact one of my dislikes about Australia was the cost involved in doing that) living in another country is a VERY different experience. Living for a period of time in a different culture gives you a completely different perspective on life and that's invaluable for children and something you can't get from a holiday.

My life before we moved to Australia was very much like the OP's and we gave it all up for an elusive dream of a 'better life' which doesn't exist - what Australia can give you though is a different life and whilst for us it turned out much harder and the 'dislikes' were much greater than the dislikes in the UK with little to compensate in no way do I regret having the experience what I do regret is the way we did it.

If I could turn back time I would take the 457 visa and consider that we were going to live overseas for 4 years - one great big fat adventure. I would still have taken PR (no harm in a back up plan) but I would not have considered it my permanent home. IF once I was there I decided I'd like it to be my permanent home then so be it. If you have a 'good' life then nowhere in Australia is going to offer you a better one but what a story to tell the grandkids :)

No offence taken. I think it is great that the OP is getting a variety of views and opinions as it will give them a more balanced view than if they just hear from the pros or just from the cons! Must say though, I do like it here and it is a big improvement on the life we had as a military family in the UK, even though, if we had been in the circumstances the OP is in, we would not have left.

Hi,

31 years, 6 months and twenty days in Oz. Have been going back since 1991, first every two years, then every year and recently twice a year, just returned after 4 months. My problem, Aussie husband who won't leave Oz (but I understand how he feels) so regrettably it's me on my own finally returning after being homesick since I arrived. Children prevented my return but now it has to be my choice, my decision and I Know it is where I am happiest.

Hi,

31 years, 6 months and twenty days in Oz. Have been going back since 1991, first every two years, then every year and recently twice a year, just returned after 4 months. My problem, Aussie husband who won't leave Oz (but I understand how he feels) so regrettably it's me on my own finally returning after being homesick since I arrived. Children prevented my return but now it has to be my choice, my decision and I Know it is where I am happiest.

Good luck! We could be twins!! (you'll see I made it over the 32 mark!) But my husband finally agreed to move back with me - I know how lucky that makes me! Maybe your DH will realize that you and your happiness are the most important thing in his life. This has demonstrably been the best ever move for me! The other issue for many in your situation is the new spouse visa situation too so I hope that if he does change his mind you can get over the visa hurdle!

This is an interesting post!!

I know many choose to migrate, spend loads money, time and emotional effort, arrive here then realize they didn't want it, be it a year, 2, 5, 10 etc.

My stories a little different in that never ever aspired to live in OZ, it was never on the plan, the curve ball of an amazing offer came in and to be here as needed it was 457 but as company assured, 6 months later PR was granted. I will also add that we were flown here business class and and given a very smart 2 bed apt in the city at our disposal. We're not demanding!! We found a beautiful house in South Beach a week later and moved in and the company arranged full furnishing until our container arrived and when the container arrived they paid for full valet unpack!!

This is an interesting post!!

I know many choose to migrate, spend loads money, time and emotional effort, arrive here then realize they didn't want it, be it a year, 2, 5, 10 etc.

My stories a little different in that never ever aspired to live in OZ, it was never on the plan, the curve ball of an amazing offer came in and to be here as needed it was 457 but as company assured, 6 months later PR was granted. I will also add that we were flown here business class and and given a very smart 2 bed apt in the city at our disposal. We're not demanding!! We found a beautiful house in South Beach a week later and moved in and the company arranged full furnishing until our container arrived and when the container arrived they paid for full valet unpack!!

LI was too busy dreaming about how spoilt we were I forgot to mention the emotional struggle......

Going back in March 2014 ..... Will have been in Oz almost 26yrs. It's changed dramatically in that time, and in my opinion, not for the better and isn't the land of plenty as it used to be known. Tho it isn't as bad as the UK yet, it's no longer a place I want to live. Can't wait to go back.

i have to say, that I'm looking at this thru the eyes of a 60yrs old, and so if younger people want to try Oz, I said go for it, you'll never ever know, unless you try it.

My wife returned to the Uk on 30/9/13, i and our two dogs return next tuesday.After 27 wasted years.Looking back i regret leaveing home as bad as things seemed be.The grass is not greener on the other side,if u are not into the beach,camping and sport.There's no social life,even liveing in rural Queensland,haveing a few acres, some live stock and a big house built, seemed to be the good life,in the beginning.But we were much happier when we lived in a terraced house in the UK,with lots of friends to go on holiday with,and all our family arround us.Happy days.Whatever people say,there is just that something missing here,we never felt we belonged here.Although life has been kind financialy.People that come out here just for the weather and for their kids sake,i think are making a big mistake.The schools here are not the best.Most things here are not the best,although the population is brain washed 24/7 that Australia is utopia.Looking forward to village life and the local pub,drives out to the beautiful Lake District,and holidays abroad,the different seasons ect.

Nearly 20 months for us and cant wait to get my foot on the step of the plane to get from here sooner the better. It for some is fantastic for us it is not do I regret coming here of course not. But Australia really does not float my boat. Big country big problems from big egos. Just my opinion

My wife returned to the Uk on 30/9/13, i and our two dogs return next tuesday.After 27 wasted years.Looking back i regret leaveing home as bad as things seemed be.The grass is not greener on the other side,if u are not into the beach,camping and sport.There's no social life,even liveing in rural Queensland,haveing a few acres, some live stock and a big house built, seemed to be the good life,in the beginning.But we were much happier when we lived in a terraced house in the UK,with lots of friends to go on holiday with,and all our family arround us.Happy days.Whatever people say,there is just that something missing here,we never felt we belonged here.Although life has been kind financialy.People that come out here just for the weather and for their kids sake,i think are making a big mistake.The schools here are not the best.Most things here are not the best,although the population is brain washed 24/7 that Australia is utopia.Looking forward to village life and the local pub,drives out to the beautiful Lake District,and holidays abroad,the different seasons ect.

Good luck with your move Zack! I'm sure you'll have a ball!

After 27 wasted years

If I thought I'd wasted 27 years, I think I'd lay down and die, let alone seek the past....................every year for me, is not wasted, no matter how hurtful or how much of a trial it may be................I live and learn..........I may want to go back, so has not my experiences taught me that I shoudn't be here?..................so how is that wasted time?......................how is experience waste?

Guest The Pom Queen

Just a quick reminder. This is the Moving Back to the UK section, if you are not wanting to move back then this section probably isn't for you. Personally I don't mind you coming and reading this part of the forum, but I do object to sly digs and abuse of members who do wish to return.

I must be the only person who has never been told that Australia is the best country in the world (or variations there of). I don't get the brainwashing or big egos comments.

Everyone has a different opinion the view from my eyes would not be the same as yours. Australia is certainly not the b and end all of life for some, for others it is.

Guest Guest16631

........recently I have wanted to move back..............came here in '92.....

.......and sometimes do miss lots of what the UK and Europe have and is.....

........my children have grown up now and have a life here..........and I wonder what I will do......

........it's the small details like distance for me..........a long way from things as I rarely drive now....

........familiarity ......though I accept that many memories are just that........

.........much of what I remember has long gone...........places and people move on......

.........my head.......says that I will not find the place or people I left behind so many years ago.......

.........my heart .......remembers all the Britishness that I miss.......

.........it's hard when you choose to sample other countries..........

..........each one helps to make you what you are........

..........and as you leave it behind............the good memories are always stronger than the bad.....ime......

..........so the future is full of choices.........

.........and ATM I for one am wondering if a move is in my future.........!