4 Years In Perth and what it, like living here , the pro's and con,s

Highland Laddie

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the al fresco evenings. Surrounded by mozzie repellent devices! Worth it though to get to have a nice relaxed weekend Barbie, sitting out under the stars till stupid o clock just talking with a nice bottle

Probably get more sense out of it than talking to the other half.:wink:

Smelling other people's barbies too, love it :biggrin:

One of the few times I've not enjoyed the smell is at the end of the City to Surf when you are coming in to the finish, you feel like throwing up and all you can smell is peoples BBQ's. Wears off pretty quick though and a beer sorts everything out.

I like the al fresco evenings. Surrounded by mozzie repellent devices! Worth it though to get to have a nice relaxed weekend Barbie, sitting out under the stars till stupid o clock just talking with a nice bottle

Ah yes, siting out on a summers night covered in DEET (the only recognized replant for mosquitos and wondering if maybe your still going to get Ross River.) but, hey DEET is only associated with half a dozen cancers. But, in Perth is suppose it's worth it. Not like you can get a £25 return to Paris for the night. Sat in mosquito infestation staring at poor quality meat simmering on a BBQ is the highlight of the Perth summer what more could anyone want from life.

Ah yes, siting out on a summers night covered in DEET (the only recognized replant for mosquitos and wondering if maybe your still going to get Ross River.) but, hey DEET is only associated with half a dozen cancers. But, in Perth is suppose it's worth it. Not like you can get a £25 return to Paris for the night. Sat in mosquito infestation staring at poor quality meat simmering on a BBQ is the highlight of the Perth summer what more could anyone want from life.

Oh dear! Poor stormy. You really are a negative whinger aren't you! Get a life and stop commenting on people who are happy with theirs! It's not my fault you're such a miserable b#@!$%! Lol

I don't use deet FWIW. Are mozzie coils carcinogenic in your experience?

Edited by HappyHeart

I prefer Summer, spring and autumn are still good but I'm over winter after about the first week. Love the longer hours of sunshine, specially light early mornings.

I'd far prefer longer evenings and a culture more tuned to more folk actually going out and enjoying the evenings. It would be nice to see folk going for walks, sitting outside cafes enjoying a beer and making the most of those barmy summer evenings.

No, mozzies are not carcinogenic nor are coils. But, they are not recommended as a effective by any single research body. Lots of people say "I don't get bitten" actually the bite cycle is the same. Just some people do not react to bites. There is only a single thing recommended for mozzies which is DEET.

And no, I am not miserable. Have a pretty good life. In Perth, as I have everywhere I have lived. But also think Perth is dull, stuck in the middle of nowhere and is best suited to those that have little regard to food, arts or any form of culture. If your idea of a perfect night is sat around a BBQ with a piece of crap produce being cremated chatting about AFL then I am sure it is heaven.

You've sold it to me. I shouldn't have turned down that job offer! Wonder if they still want me to come over?

Personally attacking another persons choice of area/lifestyle/food choices/leisure pursuits? Does it make you feel better about yourself? Belittling anyone elses experience is what mean spirited people do in order to justify their own sad little existence. Carry on....

I didn't read it like that at all. Just another perspective, a little bit tongue in cheek...

I'd far prefer longer evenings and a culture more tuned to more folk actually going out and enjoying the evenings. It would be nice to see folk going for walks, sitting outside cafes enjoying a beer and making the most of those barmy summer evenings.

Where do you go out flag? Or don't you bother. I see all the things you mention, just take a walk along West Coast Highway, Subi, Leederville, Hillary's, in fact there are far too many places to list where you would see that behaviour. That's at this time of year too, don't even have to wait for a summer that might come around.

Where do you go out flag? Or don't you bother. I see all the things you mention, just take a walk along West Coast Highway, Subi, Leederville, Hillary's, in fact there are far too many places to list where you would see that behaviour. That's at this time of year too, don't even have to wait for a summer that might come around.

People rave about it.. You can walk the street in 1 minute.. Few bars.. So what..!!

People rave about it.. You can walk the street in 1 minute.. Few bars.. So what..!!

People rave about it do they? I've been a couple of times and you can't walk down it in a minute. If you did you didn't see it all. Let's face it mate you've got a downer on Perth and anything to do with it. You picked one place I mentioned and like I said there are far too many to list that you would see people enjoying themselves at all times of the year.

Erm have you thought about staying indoors ???

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Erm have you thought about staying indoors ???

We sat out every night for a month, in our shorts and T shirts in January and neither of us got bit once, I think there's a bit of exaggeration, sorry I mean ...... A lot, lol.

I might be wrong, but aren't you spending work time in Africa? From my memory of living in Zambia and Kenya and having returned there a couple of times recently Including A couple of other African countries there are a fair few nasty things flying around there and many carrying more diseases than our local mozzies here. I am now in tropical Queensland, and don't know how bad Perth is in comparison, and I certainly don't need to cover myself in deet, and didn't for the 9 years I lived in Borneo, I'm sorry to hear that Perth is so bad.

Never heard of Deet ... must be missing something - sorry to hear you have to cover yourself in the stuff if it's carcinogenic, wouldn't use it personally.

People rave about it do they? I've been a couple of times and you can't walk down it in a minute. If you did you didn't see it all. Let's face it mate you've got a downer on Perth and anything to do with it. You picked one place I mentioned and like I said there are far too many to list that you would see people enjoying themselves at all times of the year.

Quite simple.. Turn left at the dome into the main stretch .. If you can't walk that street in a minute I'd be very surprised... There ain't jack s••t apart from that .. I could walk it in under a minute.. People make it out to be sunset boulevard in LA

Don't waste your breath Paul...you should know by know the facts are totally irrelevant to those living in their own little world.

Quite simple.. Turn left at the dome into the main stretch .. If you can't walk that street in a minute I'd be very surprised... There ain't jack s•̶t apart from that .. I could walk it in under a minute.. People make it out to be sunset boulevard in LA

Im pretty sure there's more than one street in Leederville that has bars, clubs and places to eat. I've never been to sunset VCs but Leederville is a pretty cool little place. Doesn't pretend to be anything its not...I like it...but then I suppose I would wouldnt I:)

Im pretty sure there's more than one street in Leederville that has bars, clubs and places to eat. I've never been to sunset VCs but Leederville is a pretty cool little place. Doesn't pretend to be anything its not...I like it...but then I suppose I would wouldnt I:)

Did we go to a place in Leederville once?

Edited by ali

1 small street mate .. Few bars that's it .. Like I said 1 minute if that . Was there 4 weeks ago

1 small street mate .. Few bars that's it .. Like I said 1 minute if that . Was there 4 weeks ago

You obviously didn't stay long if you walked the street in a minute lol ... I do have visions of you having your stop watch at the ready