4 Years In Perth and what it, like living here , the pro's and con,s

Highland Laddie

Don't live there myself, but Clarkson has a reputation as a hole.

You can't go by rep alone, lots of rougher looking areas in all suburbs!! Bad houses etc. My mate lives in a nice part of Clarkson, beautiful house, quiet street, shes a nurse, not short of a few $$ has lived all over the world inc opulent Dubai but chooses, yes chooses to live in the 'hole' Clarkson!

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hahaha I love it!!

I spent 6 months in Perth. I hated Australia (based on Perth and Darwin), The Aussi boyfriend finally convinced me to apply for my Aussi visa (after i went back to England and realised it was still cold) on the condition that he is willing to leave what i call hell (Perth) haha. I totally agree with everything you say bad about WA, I just hope I like somewhere in Oz haha. Sydney looks nice? :)

Sadly Paul, its stereotypes like the one you came out with about not venturing north of Watford that just prove to display the closed minded attitude as I mentioned earlier. You're welcome to your attitude but I think its only fair to challenge

Edited by The Pom Queen
Removed personal comment

Sadly Paul, its stereotypes like the one you came out with about not venturing north of Watford that just prove to display the closed minded attitude as I mentioned earlier. You're welcome to your attitude but I think its only fair to challenge

What's wrong with saying you don't want to go somewhere as you feel you have it all where you are..??? And the comment was made because I was advised that rockingham was nicer than Blackpool, I just said I don't have a desire to travel up there to find out ..

Guest Guest26012
The poster brings another side to Perth equally as relevant otherwise all we'd get is the mushy, gooey take on Perth some seem to prefer to read.

But the poster just delivers one line negative stuff about Perth! How is that relevant? He generalises and never contributes anything constructive, if he does, I have missed it ?

But the poster just delivers one line negative stuff about Perth! How is that relevant? He generalises and never contributes anything constructive, if he does, I have missed it ?

Seems to be a lot of whingers in Perth. Must be like a little Britain! :wink:

The poster has mentioned that he has young children, so is unable to do stuff.

life is different and not always easy with young uns, but bloody hell we've all been there and you just adapt. IMO Perth must be a great place to be with little uns. They are the ones you can do the simplest of things with and they have a ball.

there is the advantage too of meeting other couples in the the situation, ie parent and toddler groups, baby and toddler swims etc. he has mentioned not being able to do fitness but yet there are plenty of gyms with crèches.

People go on about the weather, but how great must it be to be able to say I'm just taking the kids out knowing that the weather is going to be perfect. Beats the rain,wind, snow etc that also seemed to be about when I wanted to take mine to a park in the UK when they were little.

life is different and not always easy with young uns, but bloody hell we've all been there and you just adapt. IMO Perth must be a great place to be with little uns. They are the ones you can do the simplest of things with and they have a ball.

there is the advantage too of meeting other couples in the the situation, ie parent and toddler groups, baby and toddler swims etc. he has mentioned not being able to do fitness but yet there are plenty of gyms with crèches.

People go on about the weather, but how great must it be to be able to say I'm just taking the kids out knowing that the weather is going to be perfect. Beats the rain,wind, snow etc that also seemed to be about when I wanted to take mine to a park in the UK when they were little.

I agree with this wholeheartedly , I see all the kid friendly stuff and have said on soo many occasions oh look at that our kids would have loved that when they were little ! I wish we'd come when they were quite frankly. The suburb I live in has about the same amount of people in it as the village I lived in. Here there are about 10 parks all with play equipment ect. In our village there were two very basic ones. Add to that the weather and the nearby beach, it's kiddie utopia compared with what my kids had back in the UK!

So? If that is his take on life in Perth so be it. Plenty on here only write like it is some kind of dreamland, making light of those that do voice a contrary position.

Perth is far removed from being the dogs b..ls.

For many it is lacklustre and incredibly boring. That includes for many born here or lived a long time or need broader horizons.

It is another point of view very understandable and what of it. Folk like it others dismiss it. Doesn't matter of impact on one's own sense of belonging.. or could it be it does bring out uncertainties, that need to be re enforced with the constant churning out of positive posts?

What's wrong with saying you don't want to go somewhere as you feel you have it all where you are..??? And the comment was made because I was advised that rockingham was nicer than Blackpool, I just said I don't have a desire to travel up there to find out ..

Nothing wrong. Just the over sensitive, over defence crew being let out to play.

Well there is the cotton wool syndrome that is highly relevant here. I certainly don't see kids in the parks without a parent or carer. Other places in the world kids play out without seemingly a care.

I think kids spend a rather lot of time indoors here considering the weather so often wonder just how much better it really is?

Could it be more of the same just with nicer weather?

Guest The Pom Queen

Please all can we remember the forum etiquette and the rules about personal attacks. We cannot force people to like or dislike the things we do.

Forum Etiquette

• Thank you goes a long way - If someone has taken the time to discuss, and share their experiences with you then please be appreciative of that and thank them accordingly. This applies especially to the migration agents who give their time on the site for free.
  • We don't walk in their shoes - If someone is offering to share their experiences please do not belittle them, or make personal comments, or judgements, about their situation. It is not helpful to anyone, and only detracts from the discussion at hand.
  • Communicating on message boards is different from face-to-face communication. Only the words are seen, not your facial expressions or tone of voice. Please pay careful attention to how you use your words. Remember that the words you enter in a burst of passion or indignant anger will be there for you and everyone else to see, sometimes long after those intense feelings have passed. That's not meant to discourage spontaneity, but just a friendly reminder of the long-term existence and effects of what you post. You may, from time to time, find yourself in disagreement with someone else's opinion. At times like these, please keep in mind it's safer and more polite to take issue with the comments rather than the person

granted i have only been here a couple of weeks, but really i think back to what did i do or go so far back in england, except for holidays and the odd weekend when the weather actually enabled it, we tended to live in a 2 hour drive radius of our house, so things are still repetitive, and having done those for the last 30 odd years, happy to move on and see something else, as beautiful as they are. i have been to the tourist info here and listed at least a years worth of adventures, things i want to travel to..... again probably a 2 hour radius of our house, so not that far to see and experience, and that would be if i was doing something every weekend, which is impossible with all the people i am meeting up with, dinner parties i want to do, relaxing on the beach with a picnic i want to do. i get more excited the longer i am here. So would take a good 10-20 years for all those to get repetitive. All the new people and there stories to hear, experience camping in australia, and seeing sights, there is much more to perth than fremantle mandurah and hilarys, just need to open your mind, we went to amaze the other day, just lovely, lots of mazes, animals, was quaint and so peaceful, felt i was out in the outback but in actual fact took about 15mins drive east out of joondalup. Espcially love that what you do go and visit, is not crowded, that you can really experience the atmosphere, as there are no throngs of people altering the 'real' atmosphere and feel of a place, and your not rattled before you even get there as not being able to find a car parking space,so have already had an argument with your other half, and the kids are now grummpy as you have been going round in circles for the past 20 mins! that is exactly what used to upset me in england, used to go around some beautiful paradise, wishing everyone else would go home so i could really experience the peace and feel of the environment. Of course there is also more to australia than perth, and the east coast and the topical rain forests and hundreds if not more waterfalls, are so stunning it is untrue, had a cocktail moment in one of those with my hubby, with no one but us.....and the kids around....so soooooo much to keep me entertained for the next 30 odd ish years, but what do i no, just a newbie!! but then again, maybe looking around with a fresh pair of eyes is what we all need, think we all can miss things that are on our doorstep, right in front of our nose be it here or elsewhere, life is what you make it, and think it will be great making life fun, with the added extra of weather on my side for a change!! just my opinion dosnt have to be yours w xx

When we first moved here Wendy The Maze felt like a real drive out to the country. Amazing how Joondalup has grown and the roads changed. Not been for years, it's a nice place to take the kids.

Agree with you totally about the crowds everywhere you go in the UK, specially if you had nice weather and it was a bank holiday or something. My friend has been to a wedding in Scotland, in a castle, really enjoyed it, traditional, had to have a kilt made in his family tartan.

They had a week in Paris on the way back and him and his wife said they were glad to be back here. They clashed with the end of the tour-de-France and Bastille day. Said everywhere was so packed that it wasn't enjoyable one bit. My friend went to the catacombs, it wasn't open when he got there and the queue was already very long. He went for a cup of coffee and sat there for an hour and the queue had hardly moved. He gave it a miss in the end.

I think we forget how crowded any European City can be and get spoiled by how easy we have it to get to places, park and be in in a matter of minutes.:cool:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I heard winter started in Perth a couple of weeks back, it must be close to being over by now, isn't it? Lol

4 more weeks to suffer , 19-20C here in Mandurah. :wink:

No wonder people complain about WA, how do you cope? I'm struggling in Brissie's 23 degree winter wonderland today