Ladies; PLEASE Check your boobies...

annagilda

Will do! Did you have a scare, i hope not! I always forget to do these things, i think i stupidly think because im young i dont need to do these things. Always telling mum to go and get checked because breast cancer is in the family, all my grans sisters have died of it x

Will do! Did you have a scare, i hope not! I always forget to do these things, i think i stupidly think because im young i dont need to do these things. Always telling mum to go and get checked because breast cancer is in the family, all my grans sisters have died of it x

Just keep an eye hun. No need to get paranoid; although that's easier said than done, especially when it runs in the family.

Yeah, found a lump, got it checked out and it's nothing to worry about, "as long as it doesn't change" :/

All good though, makes you think eh?

that`s how to do a proper check:wink: in case someone is unfamiliar with the technique

Ooooh, and there I was, expecting it to be all scientific.

I might just have to have another look, to make sure I'm doing it right!

Gals, couldn't agree more, I sadly lost my younger sister to Breast Cancer and she thought she felt a lump but ignored it thinking it was nothing. At 36 you tend to dismiss things unless you feel ill. This was a lesson none of us wanted to be taught :( so no matter how old you are just do this simple check and always see your GP if you notice anything xx

My daughter is 18 and found a lump. She went to her GP who said it was fine and nothing to worry about, but 3 or 4 months later it is still there so she is going to go back with her mum and see if she can have it removed anyway, incase it turns cancerous later.

Yep I've two friends who have been diagnosed since being here , one only 33 it's got to be done . Also ladies over 45 get free mammograms use them. I've had 3 benign lumps removed up to now in the last year. I'm the lucky one, my sister has just come through Chemo with hers.

...When your next in the shower/bath. Or even better, get your bloke to do it. :wink:

You never know what you might find. Turns out everything is OK thank God, but like I said, you never know, just give them a squidge! X

It's good to hear your ok,, hubby gives mine a squidge most nights,lol so all good..

Cal x

Ooooh, and there I was, expecting it to be all scientific.

I might just have to have another look, to make sure I'm doing it right!

Colleague sent me a link months ago, I thought it was a prank/all funny stuff but they actually did a pretty good job IMO. I think that they definitely captured ladies` attention :biggrin:

My daughter is 18 and found a lump. She went to her GP who said it was fine and nothing to worry about, but 3 or 4 months later it is still there so she is going to go back with her mum and see if she can have it removed anyway, incase it turns cancerous later.

That`s a good idea. At her age it`s more than likely fibroma - a non-cancerous mass. The doc`s usually just watch them but hey, if it was my daughter or me, I would want it out.

Not just lumps anyone over 40 should get a mammogram, friend of mine did at 48 and she had ductal carcinoma insitu and had to have both her breasts removed, the doc said she had millions of cancer cells.

She had a breast reconstruction and is fine now.

Yes-the mammograms pick up very small lumps you cannot feel yourself. A friend had a cancer picked up no bigger than a grain of rice. She had it removed and radiotherapy- she is fine now and didn't have to have chemo because they caught it so early.

How many ladies would do what Angelina Jolie did ?

I believe she was cancer free but had a full double mastectomy as a preventative measure as cancer runs in her family.

She is wealthy enough to afford reconstructive surgery but I'm sure its not quite the same as the natural boobs she had removed.

I believe she was cancer free but had a full double mastectomy as a preventative measure as cancer runs in her family.

She is wealthy enough to afford reconstructive surgery but I'm sure its not quite the same as the natural boobs she had removed.

I really Don't know; it's hard to tell unless you found yourself in that situation I guess, I think it's very brave of her.

Nothing to do with wealth really. Women who had relatives diagnosed with breast cancer before age 40 are routinely referred for genetic testing. If the particular gene causing breast cancer is found, they are recommended to undergo mastectomy with reconstructive/plastic repair at the same time. Skin and nipple stays, the mammary gland is removed and an implant is placed in. Looks good too. It`s covered by insurance (in US) because there is medical reason. The only think that they can`t do after surgery is breastfeeding.

Apparently, only around 5% of breast cancers are truly 'hereditary' . Most cases of breast cancer, even those where multiple family members are diagnosed, are actually sporadic cases and situational and environmental factors are assumed to have contributed towards the cancer developing. Sadly we still dont always know the reasons many people develop cancer, its unclear.

The BRCA gene mutations that causes breast cancer can be tested for if you have family members with the diagnosis. Luckily cancers caught under 2cm have a high 5 year survival rate.

Archived