Short sighted...?

paul1977

I read a lot of post on this site and I find myself scratching my head thinking how short sighted people can be. The UK has just gone through the worst recession to ever hit it, it's had 12 years of overspending by a labour government, and overspending by the people ( new cars , house , etc) . So why do people beat the drum about not getting pay rises, no jobs, unemployment etc etc. These are just normal occurrences in a recession. No country / economy in the world during a recession will offer you pay rises, jobs aplenty etc. why is the uk finished ( so I read ) ..? It's only just coming out of a recession, growth will return as will jobs and pay rises. How would people feel if Australia went into the deepest recession it ever had..? Would the drum brigade be off to another country as Australia would be finished ( in their mind )..?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Dave53

Paul , I agree entirely .. I have been castigated quite a few times here for stating my opinion, so I don't bother any more .. Tunnel vision and rose tinted glasss are still out there .. it amazes and upsets me that many Brits knock so readily their country of origin ..

Dave C

It's been a v long recession though, longer than any I've known before. Of course people are going to be down.

pay cuts/freezes happen and in the short term you are willing to accept that it's part of it but when it drags on and on and yet shopping/food/fuel bills keep going up and the government just won't do the things it needs to do. People are within their rights to moan IMO

It's human nature I suppose.. Especially when people were struggling before the recession hit then find themselves with less salary and a higher cost of living coupled with the fact that it has been a very long, drawn out recession which is still nowhere near out the woods yet.. Natually people will complain. It's just what people do!

Its the modern way they would not know real recession if it slapped them in the face, queues for jobs, no food on the table. My mum lived through the depression in the thirties and her mother used to cook bread for her neighbours whose husbands were out of work, people pulled together then, I wonder if they would these days, no they would look to the government for a hand out. Real recession there will be no handouts.

I suspect those people who moan about the UK being 'finished' would still find reason to say the UK was 'finished' even if there was no recession and things were good. There would always be some excuse as to why the place is really bad and they had to leave.

I totally agree. Personally, when I left 5.5 years ago the only change was houses being hard to sell. Still, not one of my friends or family in the uk have lost jobs, not got yearly pay rises etc. I'm sure some people are suffering, but 100% of people I know aren't.

In Australia however, I have met many people who have lost their jobs over the last five years. I hear most days how hard someone or other is finding it. Businesses are going into liquidation all over the place. And this country isn't in recession.

The posts where people talk about coming to oz for better opportunities etc worry me very much, as those people could be in for a shock.

Its the modern way they would not know real recession if it slapped them in the face, queues for jobs, no food on the table. My mum lived through the depression in the thirties and her mother used to cook bread for her neighbours whose husbands were out of work, people pulled together then, I wonder if they would these days, no they would look to the government for a hand out. Real recession there will be no handouts.

Plenty of people have lost a lot during the current recession and not been able to feed their families properly.. I personally know of one mid 40's couple who lost their home of 15 years after their business folded as a result of the recession and had to move into their parents home.. soul destroying for many people!

Too right! This generation is so soft. When I was a lad we lived in a shoe box, and it didn't even have a proper lid!

Yes very good point, NOT being in a recession hardly means utilities, food, fuel etc dont go up often well above wage rises.

Yes but it's all part of a recession. It has and will continue to drag on but growth will return. And as we all know bills go up every year regardless of the state of the economy.

The thing is though that those things have always happened in every country regardless of a recession or not.

Plenty of people have lost a lot during the current recession and not been able to feed their families properly.. I personally know of one mid 40's couple who lost their home of 15 years after their business folded as a result of the recession and had to move into their parents home.. soul destroying for many people!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We are on a site where discussions about the economy and jobs in the UK and Australia are discussed everyday and inevitably it comes down to comparing what is happening or has happened in regards to both these issues. The reason why most people I know are complaining over not getting a pay rise in the UK, or a very little one for the last 5 years, is because in that time the rich are getting richer and the government are still reckless with our money, so we have every right to complain about it.

We are on a site where discussions about the economy and jobs in the UK and Australia are discussed everyday and inevitably it comes down to comparing what is happening or has happened in regards to both these issues. The reason why most people I know are complaining over not getting a pay rise in the UK, or a very little one for the last 5 years, is because in that time the rich are getting richer and the government are still reckless with our money, so we have every right to complain about it.

I don't know how reckless they have been with the money. There isn't any ;)

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I don't know how reckless they have been with the money. There isn't any ;)

Labour left a note to the Tories, saying something like, ..... There's no money left to spend. It would be funny, if it wasn't so tragic, they left the country on the verge of bankruptcy. I have voted Labour nearly all my life and they nearly ruined our great nation, but the Tories are hammering the working class, it was a perfect storm for them, they always want to lower wages and attack working terms and conditions and curb the unions, this time round there's been no option. They still manage to help the rich get richer though, while the rest of us keep tightening our belts.

I recently went to China-a country on the up. I asked what happens if someone cannot work, have no family to assist and maybe have a disability. The answer was- they die. Now that is hardship. The UK and Australia haven't had this sort of scenario for at least 100 years.

Labour left a note to the Tories, saying something like, ..... There's no money left to spend. It would be funny, if it wasn't so tragic, they left the country on the verge of bankruptcy. I have voted Labour nearly all my life and they nearly ruined our great nation, but the Tories are hammering the working class, it was a perfect storm for them, they always want to lower wages and attack working terms and conditions and curb the unions, this time round there's been no option. They still manage to help the rich get richer though, while the rest of us keep tightening our belts.

Do you honestly think the other w@nkers would do any better? I see that this week they have said the will stick with the cuts if the win the next election. So whilst everyone says what's going on at the moment is great for the Tories because they can blame labour can you not see what's going to happen if labour get in at the next election?

I read a lot of post on this site and I find myself scratching my head thinking how short sighted people can be. The UK has just gone through the worst recession to ever hit it, it's had 12 years of overspending by a labour government, and overspending by the people ( new cars , house , etc) . So why do people beat the drum about not getting pay rises, no jobs, unemployment etc etc. These are just normal occurrences in a recession. No country / economy in the world during a recession will offer you pay rises, jobs aplenty etc. why is the uk finished ( so I read ) ..? It's only just coming out of a recession, growth will return as will jobs and pay rises. How would people feel if Australia went into the deepest recession it ever had..? Would the drum brigade be off to another country as Australia would be finished ( in their mind )..?

Paul , absolutely spot on ........this country was left right in the mire ......and some on here want to blame the tories .......I honestly believe that tony blair should be arrested for war crimes , for leading us into an illegal war , where many of our soldiers have died .......along with peter mandelson he scoured the world for immigrants to bring into the country , whilst preaching the opposite .......this wasnt a couple of hundred thousand , this was 3 million people ....mandleson has now admitted it , in an interview recently .

How would that go down in Australia .....if you combined the populations of Perth , Brisbane and Adelaide and integrated them into oz over a 12 yr period , without even consulting the population ?........it doesnt matter what colour or ethnicity they are , it creates problems ........

it also creates a situation , where you have a lowering of wages and standards ......this is what is coming to oz .

The values , high living standards , and rights that Aussies have come to expect , will be eradicated over time

i have just been talking to a family member , who is a full on labour voter ........he is now grumbling about the changing face of Melbourne ......not in my back yard , springs to mind

Archived