What car to buy?

VERYSTORMY

Well, the hello of 2013 means the little car is a year older and I am thinking it is time to buy a new one.

But, I have a appalling lack of knowledge about them as at work I drive something that is very different you will see on the roads and in the UK never owned one as we lived in the city. So, haven't a clue.

It needs to be friendly for doing the shopping. Safety is a must. It needs a back seat, but size in the back isn't important as it only has to accommodate the chihuahua. It has to be VERY reliable as I FIFO and missing a flight is a major no no. It has to handle well, look decent and I would like a element of cool. For what ever that means for a 40 something guy.

Original budget is $30k or if I have to 50k

Ideas?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ptp113
Well, the hello of 2013 means the little car is a year older and I am thinking it is time to buy a new one.

But, I have a appalling lack of knowledge about them as at work I drive something that is very different you will see on the roads and in the UK never owned one as we lived in the city. So, haven't a clue.

It needs to be friendly for doing the shopping. Safety is a must. It needs a back seat, but size in the back isn't important as it only has to accommodate the chihuahua. It has to be VERY reliable as I FIFO and missing a flight is a major no no. It has to handle well, look decent and I would like a element of cool. For what ever that means for a 40 something guy.

Original budget is $30k or if I have to 50k

Ideas?

If you didn't want new I could get you something. As an aside would it do any off road/dirt work at all?

My best car ever was an Audi - they can be expensive if they go wrong - but it never went wrong. I love the diesel A3 - if that is big enough for you. I currently drive a skoda fabia which is a good work horse and feels like a low spec audi. I like the look of the BMW 1 series - but that may still be a bit pricey.

If your looking Japanese - then maybe a Yaris. I did drive a Corsa (Barina) for a while, and did a lot of miles with very little trouble. I wouldn't have called it a comfortable car for distances though.

Snap I am looking for a new car as well. No idea except it has to be a hatch back.

Hatch backs are my thing and they have to be red.

I am looking at some of the European cars which I like, however will probably go for tried and true, Toyota or Mazda. Love Mazda as they do the interiors so well.

Have a Getz now.

Falcon. I was looking for a decent car.

But in seriousness, have been thinking about a Rav4, a Great Wall or something. Trying to get away from the small car thing as feel I have earned a treat. But, I am finding them expensive here. I had thought about a range rover. But while possible in Europe for under $50k, isn't for some reason here.

I'd go for Rav4 - not sure about the safety of great wall. What about the smaller freelander?

Have a Getz now.

But in seriousness, have been thinking about a Rav4, a Great Wall or something. Trying to get away from the small car thing as feel I have earned a treat. But, I am finding them expensive here. I had thought about a range rover. But while possible in Europe for under $50k, isn't for some reason here.

Have a Getz now.

You have a Getz, say the falcon isn't a decent car yet you are looking at a hair dressers 4wd and a newish car out of china.

Hope you find your 'decent' car. And a little tip, if you want to try and look 'cool' in your 40's what made you think of buying a Getz in your 30???? Hmmmm

Guest Ptp113
Have a Getz now.

Falcon is a decent car, at least Top Gear think so but then what would they know? As for a Rangie they just don't have the reliability you need, but very good as a Toorak Taxi.

1. Great Wall is a no no - look at other posts on PIO. Poor reliability, they are 'tinny' and have poor resale value.

2. Land Rovers - Lovely machines however high expense on the maintenance and repair.

3. Toyota Kluger and Kia Sorrento both have good specifications although they maybe a bit fuel heavy due to size and perhaps too big for one man, his small dog and shopping.

The new level Toyota Rav4 and Kia Sportage are worth a look.

Any chance of arranging a novated lease via work?

Guest Ptp113
1. Great Wall is a no no - look at other posts on PIO. Poor reliability, they are 'tinny' and have poor resale value.

2. Land Rovers - Lovely machines however high expense on the maintenance and repair.

3. Toyota Kluger and Kia Sorrento both have good specifications although they maybe a bit fuel heavy due to size and perhaps too big for one man, his small dog and shopping.

The new level Toyota Rav4 and Kia Sportage are worth a look.

Any chance of arranging a novated lease via work?

Novated lease is the go.

I've just picked up a top of the range Hyundai i40 tourer for under $50k with 7 years unlimited mileage warranty and 5 years breakdown recovery. You get all the toys you would get in an Audi or BMW at a fraction of the cost. Great looking car and total piece of mind with the warranty and breakdown. Worth a look.

Archived