What car to buy?

VERYSTORMY

My employer offers Novated Lease and while I love the idea of paying for a car out of my gross income I still can't get away from the fact that you're paying a significant sum every month and still don't own it at the end of the term and have to pay market value if you want to buy it. In the end I bought a 3 yr old Commodore SV6 Wagon for $25k which is a lovely car - drives like new and no monthly payments.

Still not sure if I missed a trick with the Novated Lease though - nobody could explain the benefits.

All the best for 2013 everyone !

RIchard

Hey Richard...like your avatar....I punted something similar around during the 70's...a Nota Clubman with a fully worked 186 cu inch Holden motor in it....went like sh!t off a chrome shovel...ah those were the days...the folly of youth.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ptp113
My employer offers Novated Lease and while I love the idea of paying for a car out of my gross income I still can't get away from the fact that you're paying a significant sum every month and still don't own it at the end of the term and have to pay market value if you want to buy it. In the end I bought a 3 yr old Commodore SV6 Wagon for $25k which is a lovely car - drives like new and no monthly payments.

Still not sure if I missed a trick with the Novated Lease though - nobody could explain the benefits.

All the best for 2013 everyone !

RIchard

A good accountant helps

I also looked at the notated lease it worked out the same payments each month however to buy with finance the term was a year longer. So even with a years worth of extra payments it was still a lot cheaper than the residual left on the lease. I also couldn't see the benefit especially when I can claim fuel and interest back with my tax return.

A RAV's a good one mate. We have one and it's sweet for getting about around town, doing the shopping, putting the dog in the back etc.

I agree with others about NOT buying European cars......

On Porsche, I personally wouldn't have one. Not cool in my opinion, just a "look at me and what I got" car (except the Boxter, which makes me think "someone trying to be something they aren't"). Plus they are European (see my comment above).

A RAV's a good one mate. We have one and it's sweet for getting about around town, doing the shopping, putting the dog in the back etc.

I agree with others about NOT buying European cars......

On Porsche, I personally wouldn't have one. Not cool in my opinion, just a "look at me and what I got" car (except the Boxter, which makes me think "someone trying to be something they aren't"). Plus they are European (see my comment above).

Opinions are like arseholes....everybody's got one..................as for Porsche....you've never owned or driven one have you ?

If we were back in Europe, I would probably go porsche. But, in the UK I can buy one at a "reasonable price". Likewise several other makes which seem to hike there prices massively in Oz. I read the review the other day of the new range rover. List price UK, 83k, list Oz 186k. WTF. Yes, sorry, I do think the ford is ugly and that's that.

I do like the idea of a lexus. I will add it to the list to be checked out.

I think the issue with european cars is climate. A lot do not seem to cope with the difference. In northern Europe, merc and BMW work well because they are reliable in that climate.

My only knowledge of cars are off roads. I can tell a good off road car and what it needs to be out remote in Oz. But getting to the shops and back I am clueless. (off road for long range has to be a toyota LC seven series).

Ok, I'll give you a bit of my personal opinion....I've been involved with "cars' since I was a young bloke and had a reasonable participation in motor sport as well as I got older. i have at one stage sold Mercedes Benz for a short period of time (with some success). I drive two motor vehicles at the moment (not at the same time)....my "fun" car is a 1997 Porsche 911 Turbo (993) and my everyday hack is a Lexus IS 350. I try and change my "hack" every two years or so. Prior to the Lexus I had an FG Falcon XR6 Turbo....brilliant car........better drive than the majority of so called European performance cars at half the price. But you dismiss them as "ugly", FFS ........no knowledge is even more dangerous than a little :rolleyes: But I digress.....why don't you look at a Lexus IS250....you can pick up one brand new for $49-52 K and a good used one with less than 50,000 k on it for considerably less.....2.5 litre V6, 6 speed auto,full leather....better than any Hyundai you could ever find and all class.if you didn't want to spend that much have a look at a Toyota Camry Hybrid...they won drive.com.au family car of the year.(low 30K). They are of course made in Australia which to some of you poms is a big minus...but I can't take into account prejudice and ignorance.

Whatever you do...DO NOT buy European......they are OK until about 12 months after the warranty runs out....then be prepared to put your hand into your pocket and again and again (unless you buy a Porsche as my "Black Beauty" has been supremely reliable) lol

Hey guys! Is this the right place to talk about our feelings?

We wasn't talking feelings guv.....honest......we was just voicing our opinions!

I agree with SLP on this - it's a great analogy! Definitely like arseholes. And hearts. And livers.

Everybody has them ‘cos they are needed.

Never owned one of them, but have driven a couple (I didn't nick them - my friends gave them to me to have a go in!).

They were nice to drive, look good, but really just aren’t my thing, hence my previous comments / opinions on them, which I posted for the OP’s benefit, ’cos they are asking for opinions on what car to purchase.

I think the issue with european cars is climate. A lot do not seem to cope with the difference. In northern Europe, merc and BMW work well because they are reliable in that climate.

Reckon you're spot on there mate - have had myself (and have friends who have had) first hand experience of European built cars having major reliability probs in non-European conditions.

They were good once Stacey....owned a 16TS back in the mid 70's.....great car.......but like Peugeot they "were made proper" back then.

we have the clio, I wasn't keen at first. when I pass my test this year it's mine. he's going to get something more manly apparently lol

we have the clio, I wasn't keen at first. when I pass my test this year it's mine. he's going to get something more manly apparently lol

Bloke I know bought his wife a Clio Sport 197 .....holy sh!t......does it go....( I think because it scares her a bit) it is a good excuse for him to drive (thrash) it.......it's a 2008 model but I'm not sure how long it will last.

might have to look at that one! haven't had this one long but the last one was a clio too. no problems, only when a deer decided to c.f. commit suicide in front of him lol . he misses the bmw though

I do like the Renault Megane 265 Trophy......$50 odd grand out here....must be cheap as chips in the UK....keeps winning "best bang for your buck" out here by the motoring Journos........if I wanted a front wheel drive hot hatch this is what I would go for..........serious hooligan stuff...... bit like the Mazda RX7 twin turbos that were around in the late 90's

Please stay away from Great Wall!!!

i know 2 blokes with them who regret the day they parted with the cash!!

interior falls apart in weeks along with several teething troubles.

A ute sounds to big for you but you could try a Mitsubishi lancer or the like, top spec is around 35k I think.

Went to the first couple of dealers today. Went to Hyundai and tried the i35 and the i30. The i35 is more like what I want. A small SUV. But, it only comes in automatic in the more up scale version and I want a manual. The i30 is available in manual in the better spec but is smaller than I want. But still a nice car

Had a look at the Toyota Rav4. Much bigger, which I liked, but not as many bells and whistles as even the lower spec Hyundai. Also, it's warranty isn't anywhere near as good.

Hard to chose.

Mazda tomorrow.

Guest GeorgeD
I always chose manual over auto when I was younger but wouldn't dream of ever going back to manual now. I converted 10 years ago, must be getting lazy in my old age haha

I felt the same and then bought my first Auto in Oz...I hate driving a manual now...something about driving in oz makes an auto more attractive! It needs to be a decent one though...I test drive the petrol Holden Cruze auto and it was appalling! constantly revving up and down and cahnging gear for no apparent reason. Get one with a bit more welly and it is a pleasure to drive.

To the OP...have a look at the Kia Sportage too..it has won numerous awards. It's similar to the Hyundai i35.

I felt the same and then bought my first Auto in Oz...I hate driving a manual now...something about driving in oz makes an auto more attractive! It needs to be a decent one though...I test drive the petrol Holden Cruze auto and it was appalling! constantly revving up and down and cahnging gear for no apparent reason. Get one with a bit more welly and it is a pleasure to drive.

To the OP...have a look at the Kia Sportage too..it has won numerous awards. It's similar to the Hyundai i35.

HTH

image.jpg

image.jpg

Archived