Charity shops / Op shops

calNgary

Do you use them?

At one time id be embarrased to admit i use the op shops but whilst ive been here ive got very attached to them,lol. The majority of the time i go to buy books for my daughter, whilst she has been learning to read ,its been so good to go and pick up 5 or 6 books at 10- 50 cents each, when we are bored with them i pass them on to her friends and go back to buy some more. Blankets and doonas for the dogs are also easy to get and cost only a few $$ (which is great when they get ripped up in a week !lol).. Go St Vincents De Paul !!! lol

Cal x

Guest Guest16631

........love the op shops.................I bought 6 new Pyrex plates for 2 dollars.............great for making plate pies....

..........books..............winter jacket for son 4 dollars for the 2weeks he spent in Scotland..........now back at the op shop btw.....(after being cleaned of course)

.................one cut glass vase 5 dollars with flowers picked from the garden................birthday present for mother.......

...........great places IMO....!

I use them now and again got some great stuff I have to say, my friends use them a lot, some of them have picked up some fantastic stuff for a few dollars, I also give a lot to op shops, especially the kids toys when they were smaller. I actually people are using them a lot more these days, which is great I think. Laney x

Wish I had the time to wander through them more often as I have had some brilliant bargains in the past from Charity Shops. I have been on a decluttering mission at home over the past few months and the majority of the stuff I decided I didn't need any more (invoked the five year rule... haven't used it or wore it for 5 years and it goes) has ended up at the local Salvation Army shop. Note to self... do not go to the Salvos any time soon or you could buy back stuff that you donated!

Found the op shops here in brissie very expensive compared to NT branches (especially the Alice springs salvos - SO much fabo stuff for $1!!), but generally they rock. Am trying to work.up the courage to.buy a pair of office type shoes from one, but they all look really dirty on the inside still, I don't know if I can bring myself too (and actually quite expensive, eg a really really worn pair from a particular store for $15 in bunnies, when they only cost $29 from the store brand new (cheapy brand)). But generally, fab.

I got this fantastic brand new handbag made from velvet patchwork pieces - cost $4. I don't get many clothes but look for little bits and pieces for craft, books, pottery etc. I found a matching mustard pot for an old denby salt and pepper set I had- $2. Half the fun is in the hunting of course.

Oh Absolooooooootely - in both hemispheres !

Love them & have bought some incredible bargains.....for me & the home....

My favourite find is a beautiful dark grey overcoat - Marks & Spencers - pure new wool - made in West Germany (that dates it!) but it isn't 'dated' at all & is a bit like the 'Loden' coats, a classic....super, super quality....

Looks great with a bright scarf & my 'posh' boots !

£8.00 - a steal !!!!

Simply cannot get that quality in 'new' without paying a fortune..... :rolleyes:

I give as well as buy- sometimes I have sene my stuff in a local shop and think to myself- at least someone will benefit and hopefully the money will go to good use. I have seen people wearing my stuff from time to time ( unusual things) and I feel so happy that they are having a new lease of life. Great re-cycling there! Oh I can feel the opshop urge coming on- will collect a friend tomorrow and off we go....

.. do not go to the Salvos any time soon or you could buy back stuff that you donated!

When I was young I went to a village jumble sale and purchased a gollywog. Took it to my mum to show her the new 'friend' I had bought my gollywog at home. She had to admit that I had just bought my original gollywog back which she had cunningly donated. Lol.

Love op shopping. Bargains galore. I collect things so I am always in there looking. I give a lot to the op shop as well. What goes around comes around. I like the whole recycle thing rather than the throw away society.

I needed a gravy boat and could not find one, where did I find one the op shop.

Saw a progamme the other night where the guy was in Sallys in Singapore and what an op shop, if and when I go back am heading there.

Found the op shops here in brissie very expensive compared to NT branches (especially the Alice springs salvos - SO much fabo stuff for $1!!), but generally they rock. Am trying to work.up the courage to.buy a pair of office type shoes from one, but they all look really dirty on the inside still, I don't know if I can bring myself too (and actually quite expensive, eg a really really worn pair from a particular store for $15 in bunnies, when they only cost $29 from the store brand new (cheapy brand)). But generally, fab.

It can often depend on the area...if inner city it will cost more.

One that isn't all "everything a $1" type cheap but is still great value because of the quality of the merchandise is Yesterday's at 39 Nash St Rosalie (Paddington). It is the sort of place you might find decent office wear at great prices. The ladies who run it do a great job. It is a charity shop for raising money to support people with brain injuries. It has bargain rooms as well for stuff that has yet to be hung...we have got some amazing bargains for some great clothes from this shop.

yesterday-thrift-shop1.jpg

http://www.weekendnotes.com/yesterdays-thrift-shop/

They also have a great bargain basement bookshop on Latrobe Tce (137 Latrobe Tce, Paddington) if you're interested.

pv-yest-shopfront.JPG

http://www.weekendnotes.com/yesterdays-books-and-things-paddington/

Not an OP shop but if you like a cheap read you might have found Boswells just up Ashgrove Ave from you opposite St Finbarr's at the Ashgrove village shops. Great little old fashioned bookshop stuffed with books.

8195003971_938529887a_z.jpg

Untitled by fish.2, on Flickr

pv-yest-shopfront.JPG

yesterday-thrift-shop1.jpg

I buy books from there and hand things in sometimes aswell. Im sorting through my stuff for moving so i should have some things to give. The charity shops where i live arent very good tbh other than for books and occasionally dvd's, it's mostly really old fashioned ornaments etc. I've heard some of the bigger ones can be good though, ours are just small shops

Archived