At breaking point after just a month on the 475 Visa in WA :(

Maginca

'all because her OH didn't want to work as a TA temporarily.'

Digitalis, would you mind substantiating where you found the evidence for this (see above) in the OP's post? I can't see where it was said, it would be helpful for me to see your point of view if you could copy/paste or 'quote' it into one of your posts.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are on a 457 visa and we live in carrum about an hours drive from Melbourne airport. We joined Medicare so u should be able to, like tickled pink mentioned they have a reciprocal agreement with the UK. X just take your passports and your visa info into the Medicare office and they should help u out, also something with your address on and also did u have a UK health card, cause they asked us for one and lucky enough my husband had me on him. Hope this helps.

Sorry just re-read your post and your on a different visa to us but it wouldn't hurt to go in your nearest Medicare place and ask. Xx

I love how this is starting to turn into an anti-Aus diatribe by the same usual suspects. It's hilarious how they are trying to infer that it is hard to get a job in WA all because her OH didn't want to work as a TA temporarily.

I don't give a monkeys what anyone here from their bedroom in the home counties says, if you have UK experience in a trade such as an electrician you will be able to pick and choose jobs, throughout the WHOLE of Australia. Sparkies, fitters and welders reign supreme out here. I don't care what area it's in either. There is always work available, EVEN as TA.

You all magically think that regional areas don't have electrical work that needs doing somehow?

What about plumbers and building in general i keep hearing it is dead in perth and them i hear lots of work....

What trade or job did you come over as Jinn? My sons a sparkie, qualified here is only 23 and changed jobs about 3 times in 2 years, each one for a step up the salary scale and to gain more experience. He wanted to get a FIFO position so had to work out what he needed to get one. Went to an agency, chatted with the consultant and got a few tips on what he might need. He paid for a couple of courses himself, not cheap but you can claim for training back on the tax rebate.

Pity you felt you wasted a couple of years when you could have done a few courses and maybe found some full time work that suited.

There are plenty of jobs for skilled people with the appropriate paperwork. Fact.

yes yes yes I wasted couple of years and thousands of $ doing Australian licences, certificates to get crappy job

Can you explain me why Australian government/Australian Embassy in London lures migrants like English electricians/plumbers to migrate to Australia if their qualifications are not recognised and these tradies MUST WASTE 3-4 years to get A-grade licence(sparkies)? How people can live and pay bills being 3-4 years unemployed doing courses?

BTW My occupation was on MODL list and Critical Skills List...extra points...electronics..and if someone asks me "did you do your homework?" I say "yes" I heard Australia has lower unemployment rate than USA/UK/Europe, "Australia needs your skills" I visited Australian Skills Expo in London where I was told by recruitment agencies Go to Australia, better lifestyle (lies), best beaches (lies), the cost of living's cheaper (more lies), plenty of jobs (supreme lies), plenty of nightlife ( ridiculous lies)...but the same agencies couldn't find me a job in Australia...in London they promised me plenty of job...in Australia nothing..so I call it Australian migration scam.

Last year I packed up my things, waved goodbye to "paradise" and set off on the long haul to Heathrow.

All what I found in Australia: overpriced overrated hick town, huge unemployment, tacky buildings, overpriced cardboard box houses, brainwashed people trying to rip me off every day convincing me they live in perfect paradise where sending hundreds CVs is normal to get a crappy job...people who can't stand that you can find a job easier, live cheaper somewhere else.."look, how can you not love this?" gesturing around...all what I see is tacky, dated, damp overpriced cardboard box houses...and thick pile of my licences what I paid for...

Last year I moved back to the UK, got a job after 1 month sending only couple CVs. Yes, in this shi*hole called UK I never had problems to find a job, but in Australia luring migrants that needs skilled migrants I always had problems, always was told "sorry mate, your overseas experience is just overseas experience"

Jinn - I agree with everything you say, I know loads of people who could echo what you say however.....its hard for someone who hasn't made the move here to believe this, they have researched and attended expos and believe every word that they are told about "skills shortages". We have friends moving over here next month, we have told them exactly what it is like and that we too are moving back to the UK in December but they won't hear a bad word about the place and need to live their so called dream.

Good luck to the OP, we know exactly how hard it is over here.

Jinn

I agree with everything you say as well

Ive said it before the Skills in Demand list , is not worth the paper its written on

These people are just not told they will have to retrain, once they get here,and it going to cost them $thousands, and theres still no guarantee of a job.

Seen it time and time again, and still it keeps happening.Its very,very wrong that they are misled like this

Just look up the term - 'Population Ponzi'. Basically, Australia is now built on two massive (biggest in the world) ponzi schemes.

1) Population Ponzi

2) Housing Ponzi

I would also refer you to the definition of a Ponzi scheme. Read that and all will be clear. Once you understand what a ponzi scheme is and how they work i.e. generating wealth through an increase in volume based on a fictional notion of a never ending pool of resource, then consider the scenario's mentioned above.

Work in Australia expo, 457 visa's, Regional visa's etc etc. It's all set-up to support the various ponzi scheme's that operate in this country.

Have a read, have a think then understand how the economics of the lucky cornflake works...... Or, turn on X factor and worry about what 4x4 to get when you arrive....

Just look up the term - 'Population Ponzi'. Basically, Australia is now built on two massive (biggest in the world) ponzi schemes.

1) Population Ponzi

2) Housing Ponzi

I would also refer you to the definition of a Ponzi scheme. Read that and all will be clear. Once you understand what a ponzi scheme is and how they work i.e. generating wealth through an increase in volume based on a fictional notion of a never ending pool of resource, then consider the scenario's mentioned above.

Work in Australia expo, 457 visa's, Regional visa's etc etc. It's all set-up to support the various ponzi scheme's that operate in this country.

Have a read, have a think then understand how the economics of the lucky cornflake works...... Or, turn on X factor and worry about what 4x4 to get when you arrive....

It stinks,doesant it????

Named after the 1910 Fraudster Charles Ponzi, its all there on Google

I struggled to get IT work in Perth in 2003. I found it very frustrating when everyone started suggesting retraining, or a career change or whatever. You just can't do that and support your family when you reach middle age. It's easy for the young. But when you are married with kids it is so much harder. What applies for a 23 year old doesn't apply for someone in their 30's or 40's.

What trade or job did you come over as Jinn? My sons a sparkie, qualified here is only 23 and changed jobs about 3 times in 2 years, each one for a step up the salary scale and to gain more experience. He wanted to get a FIFO position so had to work out what he needed to get one. Went to an agency, chatted with the consultant and got a few tips on what he might need. He paid for a couple of courses himself, not cheap but you can claim for training back on the tax rebate.

He's landed himself a 8 x 6 FIFO job now and likes it. He's on more money than me already. It's not easy and shouldn't be, like most things in life that are worth getting there are heaps of people after it, so there's going to be a lot of competition.

Pity you felt you wasted a couple of years when you could have done a few courses and maybe found some full time work that suited.

Chin up - I've been there and it can be hard - but it'll all work out okay one way or the other. Don't let it get you down, and the sun will be shining soon.

Erm, actually he's applied for everything from labourer to TA, to working in a bloody pig farm and a scrap yard just to get us by. There are hundreds of applicants per job. The ones he has spoken to for a TA have clearly told him they just want a 17-22 year old, not to mention someone with Ozzy experience. Or they're miles away and out of our region.

It's absolutely NOTHING to do with pride or greed or ignorance. He has cold called in on businesses here. Given resumes to agents. Trawled the net. Asked in pubs. So I do think you are being a little judgemental here saying he thinks he's too good to be a TA.

He went for a job interview today that was offering $16 an hour in a scrap yard which was 1.5 hours away for a part time hours which wouldn't even cover fuel after tax. He got turned down anyway as they wanted a local school leaver!

Perhaps one day (when you've finished making your millions in Oz backpacking) things will change for you and you'll know how it feels? I hope not though.

Ok, so I came on here whilst having a moment, worried about the future and feeling quite negative. I know something will come up, and we will stay here.

I actually like Mandurah. It's just the bulk of the work isn't within our zone.

Our holiday accommodation is expensive, as we had to book it very last minute and it was all we could get at the time (as we'd been let down at the last minute on the cheaper one) but we've now got a perm rental for a very decent price.

My original moan on here was about the visa restrictions!

I like Oz, and am glad we're here. And here we will stay!

Do you have your license and correct visa to work in Oz as an electrician? I find it a bit confusing when some people say you have to take courses etc - and you say you don't? I assume you're not on a tourist visa?

I said area. What So now the WA regional just covers Mandurah? Hows that work then Its only a 35 min train ride from Perth.

There is work everywhere here, sparkies in particular get their hand bitten of, even if they have to work as a trades assistant until they get their oz licence, they are still on good money given the hours.

Its not harsh this forum is evolving into an anti Australia unhappy expats collective. Its near enough there now. All backslapping each others exagerrated doom and gloom mongering. Jobs and disposable income are the biggest pinnochio inducers here, both of which are on a different stratosphere to the UK, and I mean in a good way.

Even in the UK the poster Would get a job with that much effort, and now everyone here is convinced that area is like some valleys or northern town for work? Come off it.

I struggled to get IT work in Perth in 2003. I found it very frustrating when everyone started suggesting retraining, or a career change or whatever. You just can't do that and support your family when you reach middle age. It's easy for the young. But when you are married with kids it is so much harder. What applies for a 23 year old doesn't apply for someone in their 30's or 40's.

I know what you went through mate. We came in 92, I'm in IT, was 39 years old when we came, had a wife and 2 year old and didn't get a job for 5 months. It was dire here, just like it was in the UK at the time. Only difference was we both gave up jobs to come here, with nothing to come to here, just came blind, hadn't been before, didn't know anyone, hadn't even been to Australia before. Didn't have a clue what to expect really. No internet in those days, just books in the embassy and people to chat to. We were advised to go to Melbourne or Sydney by agencies as they told us there "was no work in Perth". Only problem was we had our hearts set on Perth as we thought it had everything we were looking for. We were right as it turned out.

We didn't expect things to be easy but we were determined to give it our best shot. Luckily my wife is a nurse so she got work after a couple of weeks. It was testing though as she had to do shiftwork again after extra quals in the UK had got her into health visiting. We didn't even consider going back though, we loved Perth, the weather, the lifestyle, houses, beaches, feeling of space, lack of crowds wherever we wanted to go, just about everything that Jinn didn't like. We always wanted to live near the coast in a nice climate and if we had been able to speak Portuguese would have moved there in a flash. Luckily we ended up here which is even better than Portugal.

I honestly don't know what he did with his time, he could have done a complete apprenticeship from beginning to end in the time he said he "wasted". I guess some people are not cut out for Aus and he was one of them. He didn't seem to like one thing about it, hope he's settled back in the UK.

yes yes yes I wasted couple of years and thousands of $ doing Australian licences, certificates to get crappy job

Can you explain me why Australian government/Australian Embassy in London lures migrants like English electricians/plumbers to migrate to Australia if their qualifications are not recognised and these tradies MUST WASTE 3-4 years to get A-grade licence(sparkies)? How people can live and pay bills being 3-4 years unemployed doing courses?

BTW My occupation was on MODL list and Critical Skills List...extra points...electronics..and if someone asks me "did you do your homework?" I say "yes" I heard Australia has lower unemployment rate than USA/UK/Europe, "Australia needs your skills" I visited Australian Skills Expo in London where I was told by recruitment agencies Go to Australia, better lifestyle (lies), best beaches (lies), the cost of living's cheaper (more lies), plenty of jobs (supreme lies), plenty of nightlife ( ridiculous lies)...but the same agencies couldn't find me a job in Australia...in London they promised me plenty of job...in Australia nothing..so I call it Australian migration scam.

Last year I packed up my things, waved goodbye to "paradise" and set off on the long haul to Heathrow.

All what I found in Australia: overpriced overrated hick town, huge unemployment, tacky buildings, overpriced cardboard box houses, brainwashed people trying to rip me off every day convincing me they live in perfect paradise where sending hundreds CVs is normal to get a crappy job...people who can't stand that you can find a job easier, live cheaper somewhere else.."look, how can you not love this?" gesturing around...all what I see is tacky, dated, damp overpriced cardboard box houses...and thick pile of my licences what I paid for...

Last year I moved back to the UK, got a job after 1 month sending only couple CVs. Yes, in this shi*hole called UK I never had problems to find a job, but in Australia luring migrants that needs skilled migrants I always had problems, always was told "sorry mate, your overseas experience is just overseas experience"

You're funny, which is good as well need a bity of humour.

I love how this is starting to turn into an anti-Aus diatribe by the same usual suspects. It's hilarious how they are trying to infer that it is hard to get a job in WA all because her OH didn't want to work as a TA temporarily.

I don't give a monkeys what anyone here from their bedroom in the home counties says, if you have UK experience in a trade such as an electrician you will be able to pick and choose jobs, throughout the WHOLE of Australia. Sparkies, fitters and welders reign supreme out here. I don't care what area it's in either. There is always work available, EVEN as TA.

You all magically think that regional areas don't have electrical work that needs doing somehow?

Maybe its easy to get work on a whv and be exploited for less than $20 an hr ( you said all aussies want more than $30 ph and so that's why they employ brits......). I am an electrician who has to do gap training due to being on a PR visa and its not easy to find work i can assure you although i now have and i don't get paid minimum wage either, and i have heard the same from many others too. Or maybe employers don't want to insult me or other well qualified and experienced sparks by offering us the minimum wage. There are plenty of electrical jobs advertised but all require the A license which the op cant gain until he does the gap training

...Can you explain me why Australian government/Australian Embassy in London lures migrants like English electricians/plumbers to migrate to Australia if their qualifications are not recognised and these tradies MUST WASTE 3-4 years to get A-grade licence(sparkies)? How people can live and pay bills being 3-4 years unemployed doing courses?

I don't dispute what you say for one moment but the credentialism treadmill is not limited to Australia.

My DH is in mental health and has been for some 15 years. 5 years ago he had to completely retrain because he was rapidly becoming unemployable with his then-qualificaitons and constantly moving goalposts. 5 years of study, a BSc and a post-grad qualification later he is now on the same wage he was before he began training. He probably wouldn't have a job had he not done the retraining.

It's part of the reason we want to leave. The time and money investment of constant retraining just to keep your job is becoming ridiculous here. Of course, credentialism is just another variation of protectionism.

Being an Australian (born and bred) maybe I am a bit biased, however I have also been living in the UK for over 10 years so think I can fairly make comment on both places.

I understand how Maginca feels. In rural or semi-rural Australia it can be very difficult to get jobs as you have a limited area and a limited population. Anyone who criticises really has no right to judge unless they have been in the EXACT same position, not some freelancer wandering around Oz picking up itinerant work ANYWHERE they want.

The next point is that Maginca is not giving up, nor is she criticising Australia or Mandurah, in particular. Her main complaint, as I see it is that they were not treated fairly or honestly by their migration agent and consequently they are now struggling financially and they have a family to care for. This is no reason to make outlandish statements that she and her partner are not prepared to accept any job. She has clearly stated they are prepared to do almost anything.

All those people who want to get on the bandwagon to criticise Australia, the "overrated hick towns", the "cardboard box houses" and "brainwashed people" really need to broaden their minds or perhaps stay in the UK! The reality is EVERY country is different. If you decide to emigrate don't take your pre-conceptions with you and you must be prepared to live in a different country with a different way of life, different laws, different foods, different houses and yes different qualifications needed to work. That may mean you have to accept a lesser job until you have got those qualifications. If you have the experience then the qualification should not be difficult although it may be costly and take a little time.

When I moved to the UK my thought was that people lived in over-priced accommodation that had small rooms, invariably no area for entertaining and they were all crammed on top of each other! But what I now realise is that the UK is a small island. The cities are dense so that the country is not all eaten up by housing and people tend to meet friends at the pub rather than entertaining in their houses. (Still haven't figured out why houses must be built from brick and mortar, why bathrooms still have pillar taps rather than mixers and why dual flush isn't the norm!) I have however accepted the British way of life and while I might not understand it all I do realise that is the way the British like to live. I have adjusted, accepted and even come to enjoy life in the UK. When I move back to Australia it will probably take some time for me to re-adjust to Australian life. No more pork pies but traditional Aussie meat pies, no more central heating instead air-con will be a must, no more Somerset cider but maybe a Cascades cider and no more beautiful green landscape with rain almost every day but the harsher yellow landscape with regular droughts, little rain but plenty of sunshine.

So which is better... I think it is hard to compare... There are good and bad about both but unless you are prepared to stick it out you and prepared to accept the differences I suggest you don't waste your money moving to the other side of the world. I have loved my time in the UK but am equally happy to be returning to Oz. My partner is looking for a job and we hope he will get one in Australia but he IS prepared to accept a lesser job than the one he has now, knowing that with time this may change. We are moving to Melbourne, because that is where there is more work in the industry my partner is in.

Maginca - I would suggest you take some of the advice given on this thread about looking in to a potential move to another location that may offer better job opportunities (such as South Australia or elsewhere in WA) and also talk to the immigration department about where you could move to, or if you could stay in Mandurah and look for work elsewhere. Whatever you do, don't give up on Australia.

Good luck (and ignore those rude and ignorant sods that post threads to wind people up)

Couldnt have put it better myself Dianaos - well done.

I wouldn't disagree with the post - but the criticisms on this thread are not so much about the difference in the countries, but about being misled about employment prospects and qualification needs in Australia.

Guest yogeshsv

This thread comes as a surprise. I am flying tomorrow into WA on a regional 475. Thanks for the information. Am now bracing myself for the challenging times ahead. I am an IT (SAP) expert and was planning to move to Mandurah. But now am having second thoughts. Need to look north or further south.

I have a question - is it mandatory for the person on 475 to work in the profession he/she mentioned in the visa application or is it okay to work in any profession? If it is full time employment, will the work in other profession count towards PR requirement of 1 year employment? Thanks.

Archived