At breaking point after just a month on the 475 Visa in WA :(

Maginca

Hello!!!

We've been here for a month now (myself, husband and 7 year old daughter) and I'd never have imagined we'd be this unhappy.

We came on a 475 Regional State Sponsored Visa and are living in Mandurah. This regional sponsorship is awful. All the jobs are not within our regional areas, some literally a stones throw from our areas (Rockingham/Fremantle) but not acceptable by the government here for our strict visas. Mandurah is beautiful, but there's no work here. Yes, yes, I know that's what the regional sponsored visa is about, but even after a years research we couldn't have prepared for the lack of work! Damn my agent for not pushing for a 176 when we asked her to.

My husband is a sparks and I've owned a grooming salon for years in the UK but have loads of experience in other careers and can turn my hand to most jobs. However, we have so far spent approximately 9 hours a day applying for jobs, cold calling jobs, emailing companies, registering with agencies, walking the streets looking for "Hiring" signs..... and NOTHING!

My husband has begun expensive training to do all the tickets required to get a job, such as working at heights, confined spaces, EWP, forklift truck etc at a HUGE cost just so he can work on a site somewhere, but the companies want actual Ozzy experience and they're not in our postcode area. Can't get his Grade A licence until he has his provisional one through then goes to college at huge expense. He even applied to work on a pig farm and a 17 year old's job as a farriers assistant!

I have had to pay for a course just to serve drinks in a bar, and STILL can't get a job despite going into every bar, restaurant and agency with my resume!

I actually think we were better off in the UK. We owned a house outright, and had great jobs and support.

I feel lonelier than ever here, and just cry all night after a day of utter rejection.

I know that loads of you readers will shoot me down and say I'm lucky to have got here, but I'm sorry that's not how t feels right now.

We won't/can't go home as we've invested everything we own into this, but I'm seriously at breaking point. :(

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody that tells you that you are lucky just to be here is an idiot so don't take any notice. I have long questioned the wisdom of these regional visas, it is pretty common for people to report that there is no work in regional areas so you are not alone.

Note that you can transfer to another state, I think you should contact the state to ask / tell them, but you can do it. The whole of SA is considered regional for example, so you might have more luck in Adelaide. Also the last person I heard who was having trouble finding work on this visa moved to Mackay and found work there with no problem.

So ther are options, sit down together and make a plan. You will feel better for having a plan, decide how much longer you will or can afford to give it in Mandurah and then what you will, do next.

Hang in there, things can only improve from here. It is just time you need.

I don't know much about the regional visa - how strict are they about the work? as someone said is moving further south (Bundbury, Bussleton, Albany) all really nice places and towns in their own right - may have more to offer work wise. Hope it all gets better for you soon.

In a lot of areas of Perth and the surrounds the job situation is dire. Ive been here 8 weeks now and applying for loads of jobs everyday but no luck. Thankfully my OH does have a job but we are still living hand to mouth. Before leaving the UK, i spent the past 11 years in hospital admin for the NHS, because im here on my OH's 457 visa i cant get a similar job in any of the hospitals because you have to be citizen or PR. Like you ive done lots of other work, ie credit control, bar work, newspaper production but i cant seem to get anybody to give me a break. I found the agengys to be awful, been to them all, never heard anything back even though they are advertising jobs that i could do no probs and are waiting to be filled urgently??

I have wondered if its an age thing (for me, not you). I really hope you get something soon, its not a nice situation to be in and takes the shine off the move a bit. Talking to over people in the trades ie plumbers, sparkies etc its a lot tougher to get work than you think. I know someone that were down to their last dollar and getting shipping quotes to head back after 6 months when he at last got work.

Im not too far from you, if you fancy a chat or a good old moan

Cheers for the replies

We've just got a 6 month rental in Mandurah. We only have 14 days left in this super expensive holiday rental (almost $1000 a week!!!) and had to find accommodation and get our daughter into a school. So basically we're here for the next 6 months, fast running out of money, and arguing/crying more than I can remember!

I'm glad it's not just us. I did get offered a job feeding horses 25 kilometres away for a ridiculous $10 an hour!! My child care would have been £20+ per hour, so go figure!

I know it'll come good in the end, it's just not the Oz I'd anticipated yet. I do strongly advise people to stay well clear of the regional sponsored visas though, as it is pants! We were forced into it by our lazy agent, I think she just knew it had a high success/acceptance rate and wanted her points at work. Rob's now 40 and I'll be 40 next year.

Not even sure if he's allowed to work in the mines on our visa? Pffft.

Thanks for the support though :)

Surely if you are able to change states, they wouldnt make that much of a fuss if you went outwith the regional area if you were struggling for work. At least you are still living there, spending money there etc. Needs must, if your only talking as far as Rockingham etc, I would just apply for jobs there anyway.

Surely if you are able to change states, they wouldnt make that much of a fuss if you went outwith the regional area if you were struggling for work. At least you are still living there, spending money there etc. Needs must, if your only talking as far as Rockingham etc, I would just apply for jobs there anyway.

In an ideal situation that'd be fantastic, and we have thought of it. But we can't seem to find ANYONE who's done it. The visa stipulates that we have to stringently stick to the postcode rules and not work or live in the other areas ie live for 3 years, work for a minimum of 1 year in specified area and apply after 2 for PR. This sucks as even the houses are better towards Rockingham, and there's actually LOTS of work there. I'm sure Rockingham used to be classed as Regional?

I'd love to hear from anyone who has managed to get around the regional strictness?

I've emailed the immigration office in Perth 3 times now and sent them our documents to register our arrival as requested, but haven't even had an acknowledgement back!! If thats' how much attention they pay to us, then it makes me wonder if we could move? Probably not worth the risk

Guest themanns

Shame!.. I know what you mean tho, I don't think it's as great as people make out..Took us 9 weeks to find a rental and yes in job and house markets they favour the aussie first and there is alot of them looking for housing and work. If you put an ad up on gumtree to groom pets then you might get work and can you get family tax assistance? That could be as much as 500 every 2 weeks. x

Hi Maginca. As said by W and W, lots of people have moved states on a 475 visa as the obligation is a moral one and not a legal one. But, you do have to move to another regional area.

Take a look at Adelaide as the whole of SA is classed as regional for immigration. Don't be unhappy and have regrets when you've tried so hard and long to get here. Adelaide is a great city of just over a million people, great beachside suburbs within 15-20 minutes drive to the city and it is much cheaper to live than WA at the moment. It couldn't hurt for at least one of you to come over for a reccie and see what you think. Register onto the PIO sister site www.pomsinadelaide.com too and speak to other young families in your position - a lot of PIA members have come over on 475's and succesfully moved on to PR in the last 5 years.

Good luck.

PS $10 per hour is illegal in this country - the minimum wage is around $16 per hour.

Edited by Kazzarazza

The 475 is a temporary visa, if they don't satisfy the diac they will not be able to transfer to a PR visa...im led to believe that you would only need to work 12mths out of the 2 yrs in the required job. It took a friend I know about 2 mths to secure a job in a 475. There is work in the region but it just takes time I'm afraid...your agent should of pushed for a pr really...especially seeing OH is a sparky.

You need to check as of last September Perth was reclassified as regional. Phone immigration in Wellington street Perth and ask the question. But I'm sure you can work most places now. I might be wrong but it's worth an ask.

It may depend when their visa was granted...we have friends that were caught our by this as they received their visas before the changes.

In an ideal situation that'd be fantastic, and we have thought of it. But we can't seem to find ANYONE who's done it. The visa stipulates that we have to stringently stick to the postcode rules and not work or live in the other areas ie live for 3 years, work for a minimum of 1 year in specified area and apply after 2 for PR. This sucks as even the houses are better towards Rockingham, and there's actually LOTS of work there. I'm sure Rockingham used to be classed as Regional?

I'd love to hear from anyone who has managed to get around the regional strictness?

I've emailed the immigration office in Perth 3 times now and sent them our documents to register our arrival as requested, but haven't even had an acknowledgement back!! If thats' how much attention they pay to us, then it makes me wonder if we could move? Probably not worth the risk

Could you not try securing a job out of the area and hope to gain PR by them sponsoring you? A risk but a way around it?

Have you tried the likes of Bunbury/margaret River/Dunsborough? I keep reading about the lack of workers in Margaret river - they all go off surfing and there is lots of casual work there. Go down for a weekend and see if you find anything. Sure your rental would be snapped up if you break the lease.

Perth is only a regional area if on a 475 (now 489) Family Sponsored Visa. It seems odd that this rule applies to just the FS 489. I have checked, checked and re-checked this point.

I really feel for you Maginca. I cannot offer any other advice that the other Guys have, but just wanted to send you a hug:hug:.

Wishing you the best of Luck.

Shame!.. I know what you mean tho, I don't think it's as great as people make out..Took us 9 weeks to find a rental and yes in job and house markets they favour the aussie first and there is alot of them looking for housing and work. If you put an ad up on gumtree to groom pets then you might get work and can you get family tax assistance? That could be as much as 500 every 2 weeks. x

No, we're not able to get $500 every 2 weeks! :( To add insult to injury, we are NOT eligible in any way for any kind of help, including child benefits or medicare. The immi.gov website clearly states that we should ensure we have enough money to get us by!

We have been here for just under a month and have spent nearly $10,000 on a used car, temp accommodation and just scraping by with groceries, courses for husband and necessities.

We've not done ONE single tourist thing, not been out, not taken our daughter anywhere apart from the beach/park so it's not like we're being extravagant!

All we want is a job so we can get on with it! We've both worked every day since the age of 16 and this is a cold blow now to be desperate and unemployed and thousands of miles away from help!

I sound like a proper whinging pom!!!!

You definately get Medicare. My mother got Medicare for doctor, hospital and medication whilst she was here on a tourist visa. Also had rellies on 12 working holiday visa who were eligible.

Make sure they understand you are on 475 Provisional visa and not 457 Temporary as many people get these two numbers mixed up.

Cheers, Kazza

Medicare details.......http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CA4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.immi.gov.au%2Fskilled%2Fgeneral-skilled-migration%2F475%2Fhow-the-visa-works.htm&ei=6cJdUOekMeLqiAfOmoCgAg&usg=AFQjCNFzyG7-AQk_golRSvYm6A77aCXxIQ

Restricted access.

Edited by JK2510

You will also pay more for some training courses due to your temp visa.

I can't believe the advice an agent gave to you...:mad:

Edited by JK2510