How many of you got over your fear of spiders?????

SallyKay

Hi all,

A very common post I'm sure!! Surprise surprise I'm terrified of spiders and it's affecting my decision to move to Australia! I never realised quite how bad I was until I started researching into the Australian spiders. I guess I wanted to be aware of what I was letting myself in for but stumbled across the huntsman and they have truly terrified me! The size, the speed!!! How do you get the big ones out if you're on your own in the house?!? Etc etc!! I'm very aware that if we make the move I'll spend the first few weeks checking everywhere I go like some lunatic but I wondered how many of you were like me and checked everywhere to begin with?? When did you stop and forget about them, or did you stop? I know there's all sorts of help I could have and I certainly will look into it but wanted to hear some stories of those of you with a fear of spiders and how it affected your move and whether things have got better as time has gone on.

Depends how much of a phobia you have, you tend to get a bit use to them we like to identify which ones they are , so you get use to looking at them then working out which one it is, you can also have your house sprayed, I c

had mine done last week, it's quite cheap really and stops the insects coming in

I had / have a fear of spiders and dreaded the thought of them.

I had nightmares about them early on when we arrived

We have our house and garden sprayed yearly and I'm really calm now around them.

Always have a spray handy just in case

I also used to use the auto sprayers inside that spray every so many minutes

They seem to leave you alone if you do the same lol

I even talk to the Gecko's now and was scared when we first arrived chasing them around the house like a silly fool with a plastic cup to take it outside now i see one smile lol

So it is something you get used to

It is surprising how powerful you feel when you keep a can of Mortien around :biggrin: Seriously, we Mortien bomb our house every three months and spray the outside and inside. I have honestly seen far less here than I did in our house in the UK. Ive seen, a couple of redbacks. and a few Orbs ( they are huge harmless ones though ) you just do get over it. Song long as they arent in the house Im not that bothered.

Haven't given them a second thought in 45 odd years here. Far more important things in life to worry about, like sausages, bacon, and the cost of lemons..........

OK, so I hate spiders. Always have, and probably always will. Not keen on bugs in general but I am able to deal with them all (without killing them) without too much fuss. Spiders do not fall within that catergory for me though!

We spray the house in spring (just done it), have Mortien for in side etc, but living where we do, with lots of bush all around, it is just a fact of life. We live there, and so do the spiders - I have learned to share.

If they are outside, on the bushes/trees etc, and not in a direct pathway, I leave them. They don't seem to move that much anyway, and I'd rather see them to know where they are - we all know where we stand then.

Inside, I have 'bug catching pots' in various places around the house. If I'm home alone, i can often bring myself to put the pot over the spider, stick something heavy on top, and leave it for my husband to deal with when he gets home. If he's there, I hop around giving directions/orders, while he catches! We rarely kill them because, as much as I hate them, they do have their place in the food chain/eco system, and do a little job of their own. :)

We had a huntsman in the shed the other week which we dealt with whilst clearing some stuff out. They are quick, so make sure that before you move in, and spook them into running, have a plan A, plan B, know your 'roles' within this, go in with confidence and you sucess rate of catching the speedy little dude is increased.... speaking from experience here... ;)

Overall, other people are right, you get them in the UK, so not a reason to put anyone off coming here. If you live in more urban areas you may hardly see any at all. You may find you get used to them, for example, I quite like the geckos (spelling??), I don't mind them sunning themselves as I hang out the washing, and like PontePom I usually say hello.

I think I'm getting better.

We live on an estate but there is a far bit of acreage/bush around and also we have trees and soil all around our house so we do get them in quite a lot despite the spraying.

I can deal with the small and medium ones no problem.

But we had a massive huntsman in the garage which I had to get DH to dispose of as I couldn't have gone in there again knowing it was there (yes I know there might well be others there but I haven't seen them!). I really don't know what I'll do when there is one in the house. I have sprays etc but not sure I could go near enough to actually deal with it.

The Australian wildlife threat is greatly overrated and not even worth a second thought on your part. In the suburbs you just will not encounter spiders in the house if it is insect sprayed every year. The Huntsman is large but not dangerous and the ones that can kill tend to be in gardens and bush but you will not see them because they tend to keep to their own domain. Obviously you have to be sensible when lifting logs and other fixed things in the garden and outdoors but other than that you can forget problems with insects. Snakes can be seen in the wild, but rarely, and again unless you trample through the bush in bare feet you will come to no harm.

ps I hate spiders and it is a toss up between me and the wife who runs fastest.

The Australian wildlife threat is greatly overrated and not even worth a second thought on your part. In the suburbs you just will not encounter spiders in the house if it is insect sprayed every year. The Huntsman is large but not dangerous and the ones that can kill tend to be in gardens and bush but you will not see them because they tend to keep to their own domain. Obviously you have to be sensible when lifting logs and other fixed things in the garden and outdoors but other than that you can forget problems with insects. Snakes can be seen in the wild, but rarely, and again unless you trample through the bush in bare feet you will come to no harm.

You haven't been to my house then!

But yes, I think the chances of serious problems are slim. The only thing I've been bitten by was some kind of ant (I think) in the garden which meant I couldn't walk for a couple of hours.

We had a small Wolf Spider on the patio but we got it before it had a chance to do any damage.

Yes exactly, I think I have seen fewer spiders here than I ever did in UK. We had a huntsman in the house once in 2.5years, it minded it's own business and certainly was not running around, it just sat quietly on the ceiling and next day was gone. We just had the outside of the house sprayed as we were seeing a lot of webs outside but rarely saw an actual spider.

I think it must depend on area then. There are also a lot of snakes around the area - even a couple streets from us as they border on acreage. A few DS's classmates have resident carpet snakes!

We have soil and trees all around the house and we are removing/disposing of 4 a day regularly despite the spraying.

The threat is very overrated. Drop Bears are the only thing that's really scary!

I spent a year in Oz during 1999/2000 and can honestly say I only saw one the whole time I was there. Don't know what type it was, I didn't hang about to find out!! All I know is it was very big!!! It was in a phone booth, I just happened to look up and it was there on the roof. I never made a call from that phone again!!!!!

Every house should have a huntsman. Ours returned two days ago and is busily chewing through the rest of the insects in our place which we are happy about. The last time I had to eject a huntsman was when my son woke up to find one in his hair. (It was back the next day, but realised hanging out in my sons room was not a good policy.) The only spider you need to be wary of is the Funnel Web and it has been a long time since one decided it was hungry and leapt on a human for lunch...if you see a Funnel Web catch it and take it to the local hospital so that it can be milked for anti-venom to treat the 60 folk a year that need it.

I'm working on it before we move. A 4 year old son with an obsession for bugs and other insects is seeing to that :cute:

Actually, I am far better than I was with them. So long as they don't touch me. Then I lose it :eek:

I'm working on it before we move. A 4 year old son with an obsession for bugs and other insects is seeing to that :cute:

Actually, I am far better than I was with them. So long as they don't touch me. Then I lose it :eek:

'before we move', Have I missed something?

Archived